tender water level gauge

View previous topic View next topic Go down

tender water level gauge

Post  Kevster on Sun 13 Nov 2011, 12:54 pm

Did I dream it or did someone mention that the new batch of 4" agriculturals are getting a water gauge of some description?
And if thats correct what does it look like and could it be fitted to the 4" dcc?

Any pics of it anywhere ?

Thanks

Kev

Kevster

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2011-01-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: tender water level gauge

Post  bjwlancashire on Sun 13 Nov 2011, 2:32 pm

Kevin

It is a rod with a float on the bottom that protrudes through the floor of your tender I think, that or just a straight forward dipstick. Either way it is not on the Road loco but could easily be made to fit - just mind all that nice paintwork. I am sure you can buy the piece that fits to the tender floo from STW and make a rod to suit the depth of your tender. Alternatively, if you have access to a small lathe turn yourself up a stepped bush to fit into the floor with a hole through to suit the rod diameter of your choice.

Take a look at the photos that came on the CD, they do show a dipstick tube on both engines even though STW have not put one on.

President's man stand area - note the tube stickin up near the oil can, that would have a rod inserted as a dip sticl

Ex-Mayor's man stand area - there is a tube with a bolt head in it between the water pipe and the by-pass return pipe. That is probably a dipstick too. A bolt welded to a piece of round bar to stop it going all the way through - nothing technical here!!

bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2010-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 10:01 am

Thanks Brian,

I have a lathe so will turn something up, will be nice to know the water level at a glance when in steam.

Thanks

Kev

Kevster

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2011-01-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 5:34 pm

I made the float for my 3" engine out of packaging foam, I do wonder how well it will survive the boiler treatment though.

Mike

mikero

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2011-07-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 3:11 am

mikero wrote:I made the float for my 3" engine out of packaging foam, I do wonder how well it will survive the boiler treatment though.

Mike

I also wonder if it was made from the stuff on the back of the cart in your avatar, would it indeed be a "float" Shocked

bjwlancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Anniversary

Post  Steve Traill on Tue 22 Nov 2011, 12:23 am

A moments silence please ..................... as on this day in 1718 'Blackbeard' the English pirate was killed off the coast of Virginia USA. Crying or Very sad

Steve Traill

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Tue 22 Nov 2011, 2:14 pm

Steve Traill wrote:A moments silence please ..................... as on this day in 1718 'Blackbeard' the English pirate was killed off the coast of Virginia USA. Crying or Very sad

Avast landlubers, one day I will return to haunt you all affraid

bjwlancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:00 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top