Dwain's Engine

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dwain's Engine

Post  Flasback on Mon 19 Sep 2011, 12:28 pm

I have been asked to take my engine to another show, so I spent the weekend putting the wheels on and getting the belly tank on. A big thanks to Clive and Brian M as we had to remove loads of paint as I got carried away with a brush. Thought I would put some pictures on as people asked me about my colours as I am doing a green showman.

Clive in the back ground working on the bearing housing.

Flasback

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2011-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dwain's Engine

Post  Robfishman on Mon 19 Sep 2011, 1:15 pm

Looks great and I love the green. Just don't tell the daughter as we are almost there with the Blue. Also like the lining on the wheels, simple yet effective.

Well done.

Robfishman

Number of posts : 947
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL on Tue 20 Sep 2011, 4:50 am

Looks great I am not sure what pinstripes to do on the wheels having looked at yours this looks neat . Your smoke box and chimney look very gloss what paint have you used on them?

Rob I have decided on blue for my road loco going with Oxford Blue possibly not as dark as I had thought it would be but as the front wheels have dried it has darkened a bit. Pictures posted in my thread.

Thanks for all the pictures helps to get ideas on the pretty bits.

Ian

IanL

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2011-07-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Flasback on Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:09 am

Hi Ian,

The paint is Craftmaster 240 black. On the tender etc I have used vanish.

The lining idea was not mine, I took it off Mike's design and his engine is blue and looks neat; therefore I nicked it off him (don't tell him Wink )

Building the engine I have knocked lumps out of the paint work so its a few nights of repainting before I dry fit the steering and cylinder block this weekend all this before I paint the boiler. Sad

The good thing about starting the kit later (got kit 1 in Jan 11) is that you don't have to wait for parts and there is loads of advice to building the engine. Trouble is I think I am up to date on the kits as I have a few unopened boxes in the garage. Still that means I can spend time with the wife in the cold winter months instead of sitting in the cold playing about with bits of cold metal........... Laughing I might get another engine to start this winter.... Very Happy Very Happy

Flasback

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Tue 20 Sep 2011, 11:01 am

Hey Dwain

About time you got your finger out and put some photos on here Razz

Looking good in green, quite refreshing!

Are you taking it to the Leigh Arms do then?? I shall be there on Saturday hopefully.

Cheers

Brian

bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2010-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL on Tue 20 Sep 2011, 1:08 pm

Hi Dwain,

Thanks for the info on the paint, I was also thinking about putting varnish or laquer on the paint. My thoughts were that it may help to protect the pinstripes from rubbing off with all the cleaning it is likely to need once in steam. Plus getting a better gloss finish may be possible. Currently working on the left hand rear wheel got all the rivets ground down and the first two coats of etch primer on. Will need a bit of a rub down tomorrow then on to undercoat, may even get to do some top coat this weekend, if I am not in Dronfield doing a tether with the VK balloon for too long. Still not sure if they want us there Saturday or Sunday.

Thanks for the info and pictures.

Ian

IanL

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2011-07-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Flasback on Sat 22 Sep 2012, 9:59 am

will post update soon, need to get the flywheel finished.

I will be happy if it is half as good as Brian's engine Very Happy

Cheers,

Dwain

Flasback

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Sat 12 Jan 2013, 8:30 am

Hey Dwain, any photos to update your build thread yet? Yours must be finished now except the roof.

Cheers

Brian

bjwlancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Flasback on Sun 13 Jan 2013, 6:13 am

Hi Brian,

Both are now finished including the side motion covers being fitted (mine today after a silly mistake of painting the wrong side green and only noticing after the lining and vanish had been applied). Still have not steamed as Brian moved house and Christmas etc. We are also still looking at doing the NME in March through AMTEC, so its all go accept steaming. After fitting the side covers I hope the clap valves don't leak......

I will take upload some pictures later when I remember how.

Dwain

Flasback

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Tue 22 Jan 2013, 2:55 pm

C'mon Dwain, get your brother to show you how the photos are uploaded, I am curious to know what a clap valve is - did you go to the doctors for it?? Must be nothing worse than some leaky clap. Twisted Evil

I know how Brian feels regarding house moves too, never again.

Brian

bjwlancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Flasback on Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:29 pm

Brian,

A few pictures of the two showman engines, I like the first one with Brian's engine in the background.

I always seem to take better pictures of Brian's

I am gutted that you thought you needed me to ask my little brother about uploading pictures Sad Sad . When I wrote Clap valve Brian read the forum and rang me in tears, it was not my fault I had the doctors appointment on my mind Embarassed

Off to get the DLV next, I was told that we did not need to get them registered but its a good idea to show you have ownership if needed.

Flasback

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Thu 24 Jan 2013, 2:05 pm

Great to see pics of the two Showmans engines together........... Looking very smart indeed. Even if one has the "clap" Embarassed
Well done.
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Thu 24 Jan 2013, 4:31 pm

Thanks Dwain, that's quite a pair you have there - phnar, phnar! Seriously though, they are a credit to you both and I look forward to the day when I can park Blackbeard with them.

I was at Tim's last night while down south on business and they look so much better in real life when painted than the control model does. Your engines will look superb at Manchester just like Tim and Colin's engines did at Ally Pally.

Not long now before we see smoke from the chimneys.

Cheers

Brian

PS: all my powder coating is ready so watch out for some big changes to Blackbeard by Sunday night and a surprise addition to the fleet.

bjwlancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster on Fri 25 Jan 2013, 10:58 am

Both looking very impressive indeed

Kev

Kevster

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2011-01-27