Vapor

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: IanL Road Loco

Post  bjwlancashire on Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:19 am

Vapor wrote:Nah but he has got a folding picnic table Cool

I thought that would not be needed, he will have a picnic table complete with lights when the canopy is on What a Face

What else is missing? Another 2 years and £20k out of pocket!!!!

Joking aside, well done Ian, keep up the good work.

Brian

bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2010-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL on Wed 05 Oct 2011, 2:31 pm

bjwlancashire wrote:

What else is missing? Another 2 years and £20k out of pocket!!!!

Joking aside, well done Ian, keep up the good work.

Brian

Thanks Brian well said I must get round to doing a it more on the last rear wheel but wrecked my back so may be a bit slowed down for a few days only hopefully

Ian

IanL

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2011-07-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 on Wed 05 Oct 2011, 2:48 pm

a lil bit harsh from the lads who are further on in the build? Shocked Neutral

Graeme81

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2009-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Wed 05 Oct 2011, 5:27 pm

Ian

I know what you mean with the back wheels, lifting them up and down when building them up certainly gives you a good workout, I my glass back was aching for days affraid A good investment I made was an engine hoist, especially when you get to the boiler, it all gets heavy then!

Look forward to seeing your progress as much as I enjoy seeing those way ahead of me Very Happy Just don't take it all to seriously, this forum is a bit of fun as well as everything else we all get from it.

cheers

Brian

bjwlancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL on Thu 06 Oct 2011, 12:00 am

Hi Brian

My back injury was nothing to do with the engine, I do have an engine hoist, one of the new toys to play with, I was sorting out the recycling bent down and twisted slightly. affraid

I agree looking at everyones build pictures being so far back in the build is really inspiring as you can see what you are hopefully going to get. Not to mention picking up tips on how to do it and what paint schemes are being put together. Some of them are really fantastic and a bit daunting that I will be able to get somewhere close to a similar level.

I am looking forward to filling in the missing bits in the middle of my last picture, I always find assembling something and seeing it work is a real boost to motivation to get more completed in the build. Even if it is just a wheel spinning on it's axle.

I am also looking forward to meeting some of the fellow builders, now that I am one, that you chat with here on the forums.

Ian

IanL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL on Mon 10 Oct 2011, 3:15 am

well I decided to have a go at doing a bit of polishing on the hubs caps. I got the polishing kit from Frost the same one that Lynn has mentioned here on the forums that she has used. It took a bit of time to get the polishing wheels ( more wheels!!) prepared and then a bit of practising to get a reasonable finish on the hub caps.

Not too pleased so far with the front face of each hub cap so may try using a piece of wet n dry 800 with soapy water on a glass plate to get a really flat face on the caps before having another go with the polishing wheels. The grit wheels did a good job of removing the turning marks but they do not give a flat enough surface to give a mirror finish. I can see why Brian calls the brass Pirates gold with the finish that has been acheived on the edge of the hub caps.

With renewed enthusiasm I have put together the final rear wheel.

Then spotted a bit of reflection that really impressed me. I think I will need to polish the screw heads.

Feeling really pleased with the weekend work.

Ian

IanL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor on Mon 10 Oct 2011, 3:29 am

These all look good guys & girls but for my five pence worth you’re all trying to over achieve, these engines were never like this in real working life and the first time you fire it up and it has a burp all over your nice shiney painted & polished bits youll be cursing.

Vapor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Spit and Polish

Post  lynnr on Mon 10 Oct 2011, 3:44 am

Hi Vapor

True the engine will get covered in crud but I for one enjoy getting the paint and bare metal parts as good as I can get them. It is a bit of the case. "I can do the machining but do not have the space for the tooling". So the finish is a compensation for the lack of achievement in machining every nut and bolt.

True there is a bit of friendly competition on who can get the best shine on a bit of brass or the smoothest paint work. But that helps to drive us all to do better on the next part or redoing a previous part. I for one will be repainting the tender in a couple of years as the finish on the cleading is far better as I have gained experience from doing and observing others finished product.

lynnr

Number of posts : 2716
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor on Mon 10 Oct 2011, 4:10 am

Oh I fully agree Lynn it was just my opinion, it's just I come across so many people trying to polish their models to within an inch of its life and getting very despondent if they cant get every last mark out of it.

I also wonder if books like "how not to paint a loco" are helpful because most people will never achieve that level of finish simply the cost of the equiptment and then they go into a manic depresion because they feel tey have failed.

From my own experiance I have spent hours polishing & painting only to have the finish spoilt because of either heat, steam, water and or oil.

Anyway dont get me wrong I love to see what other builders are doing and if it makes them enjoy the hobby more building to this standard then good luck to them thats what it's all about "enjoyment" I was just making an observation that it dont matter if they dont look like a showroom model.

Ian

Vapor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Mon 10 Oct 2011, 12:48 pm

Hi Ian

No worries. Just happens I was out in the garage polishing and cleaning off the rust from the weekend.

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL on Tue 11 Oct 2011, 2:11 am

Hi Ian

I understand they will get dirty and oily when being used but that for me is over two years away in the mean time I can try and make it look as good as possible. I doubt I will get it as good as some I have seen on here or to really please me, but just trying is a challenge/frustration may be. This is my first steam build so not really sure what I am letting myself in for in terms of trying to keep it all clean and shiny when used. But I guess that's another challenge

Reading the forums also inspires me and helps to while away some time when getting into the garage is not possible when away due to work , or other commitments. Like now waiting for a meeting to start.

Best wishes

Ian

IanL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:13 am

Ian

I have to agree about this forum providing a sanity check when travelling with work, I do the same when the connection is available. You can only spend so many evenings at the bar before it has an affect Shocked

You might change you mind about all that shiny stuff once you see this, it was dragged out of a barn after being stored for the best part of 40 years. Boiler was inspected, firebox repair done, new tubes and made it to Onslow Park Rally in time for the 50th aniversary rally. Well done to Richard Metcalf and his helpers for getting it back on the rally circuit again. I think it is an A5 if I remember correctly but I cannot be certain.

Sorry it's not a Burrell however I am not going to start the Burrel V Fowler debate, we have caused enough trouble on here debating showmans V road loco Laughing

Last edited by bjwlancashire on Tue 11 Oct 2011, 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

bjwlancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL on Tue 11 Oct 2011, 11:22 am

Hi Brian,

I saw the same engine at Lincoln this summer. When I spoke with the owner of the showmans he said he was going to leave it in the condition found rather than polishing it up.

The Lincoln show has a really big attendance from model engines, I will certainly being going again next year.

Also at the Lincoln show was Burrell SM General Gough I will try to load up a picture when I get back to the PC cannot seem to do it from the iPad, this was polished within an inch of it's life, the wheels were lined with gold leaf. It truly was a showmans and powering a huge organ, absolutely stunning, the ultimate bling! The paint finish would not have looked out of place on a Rolls Royce. What's more it was working for it's keep and still looked very shiny, so it can be done.

Ian

IanL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Tue 11 Oct 2011, 1:18 pm

You mean this one??

bjwlancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL on Tue 11 Oct 2011, 1:26 pm

Yep that's the one, at Lincoln it was in an area with the catering vans etc putting on a great show with the organ. The seats were set up like a theatre with the engine and organ as the centre piece.

Ian

IanL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW on Tue 11 Oct 2011, 11:53 pm

on the subject of polishing... when modelworks were doing the clocks we used to have some abrasive polish that we sent out with them.

don't know exactly what it was cos it was in a plain white tube, but it was like a harsh version of Auto-sol. very good on brass an more than most people will need for their models Cool

edit: it wasn't Brasso Razz

craig@STW

Number of posts : 1194
Registration date : 2010-05-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL on Wed 12 Oct 2011, 12:16 am

When polishing the Cobra gel coat finish I used something called G3 this is a White creamy paste more abrasive than Autosol there is then a G10 version which is a finer grade. I used T cut instead of the G10 worked fine on the gel coat have not tried it yet on the brass as my son has nicked/longer term borrowed! the G3

Ian

IanL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor on Wed 12 Oct 2011, 1:57 am

The product is Farecla G3 Paste Compound by Farecla Paste, I think you can buy it in Halfords, its in a yellow tin or bottle.

Ian

Vapor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL on Mon 12 Dec 2011, 2:53 pm

Well it has been a while since I posted any updates, not much to report but have been working on the tender and now started painting it. Many thanks to Stu ( HeadMut on the forum ) for his help and suggestions on painting, in this weather I did not follow the suggestion to help to reduce dust by painting in the nude.
During construction

After the secound undercoat still needs to be flatted before starting the top coat

Have the tender fittings also and started to paint them prior to fitting, but I think I will have to wait until I have decided on the lining scheme for the tender certainly yellow originally thought about chrome yellow but Stu showed me his practice peice using chrome yellow and now I am not so sure possibly the imitation gold. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and make a decission as I have nearly 2 weeks off at Christmas so would be an excellent oppourtunity to press on with the painting and lining.

Ian

IanL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:42 am

Hi Ian
Looking good. Nice to see other builders progresses.
did you paint behind the tow strap?

I was not impressed with the 1shot imitation gold paint so I have not used it.
The other colours I got at the same time were all good.

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:20 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top