Kit 13 fitting cylinders

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kit 13 fitting cylinders

Post  highpressure on Sun 04 Sep 2011, 11:08 am

Directed at Lynn as you have already fitted the cylinders... just wondered how the fitting of the pistons with rings on went. Did you use the jubilee clip idea and did you get any issues?

Cheers Kev.

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Stuffing things in

Post  lynnr on Sun 04 Sep 2011, 12:18 pm

Hi Kev

I sized the piston rings in the bores first as they needed a small amount filed of the ends to allow fitting. Once the rings were ready I slipped them on the pistons. Lubed up. Then by holding the rings and compressing them with my fingers held the piston tight up to the block. There was a slight lip on my casting so once I got them slightly into the bore. Slight thump with my fist and the piston slipped in with that ring. I did not have to use a clip or anything. HP top ring was the toughest but that also eventually litteraly jumped in. Once second I could not keep the ring right in the piston next second POP in it went. I do go ten pin bowling a lot and play the accordion so I have quite strong fingers Laughing

lynnr

Number of posts : 2716
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Re: Kit 13 fitting cylinders

Post  Flasback on Thu 26 Jan 2012, 1:03 pm

quick question, when you put the pistons in the instructions state that you slide the pistons up and down (oiled), the HP piston is tight, is this correct as I would expect it to be tight due to the piston rings but how tight?

cheers

Dwain

Flasback

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2011-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Thu 26 Jan 2012, 1:15 pm

Hi Dwain

My pistons were very tight at first. I had to use a wooden dowl and grunt to move it backwards then a block on the rod to move it forward. Once I did this about 10 to 15 times the bore ineffect honed itself and the piston moved easier and is now smooth as Devonshire clotted cream. I did get a slight residue off the piston rings afterwards. My Bores had a slight surface currosion when I got the block but are now a uniform cast iron grey.

You may find you need to also file the ends of the rings as they may be over tight in the bore. I trial fitted the rings in the bores before fitting to the pistions to get the gaps just right (I hope). Also means you do not need to run the gauntlet of the ring sticking in the steam passage (See my picture thread for that story) too often.

lynnr

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Mon 30 Jan 2012, 5:37 am

Dwain

I followed Lynn's advice on testing them and anded up taking a few thou of the end of the LP rings and I still find that the HP piston is easier to move than the LP one due to the greater area the rings are sliding on as the bore is so much bigger. Can still be pushed by hand using the crosshead but a lot harder than the HP one.

Brian

bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2010-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Mon 30 Jan 2012, 11:18 am

It will loosen off as the bore is smoothed out

lynnr