Boiler bands and cleading

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Boiler bands and cleading

Post  highpressure on Mon 08 Aug 2011, 10:56 am

Anyone else got to the point of trying the cleading out on the Road Loco?? If so should the attachments to the cylinder base be threaded?? Cant seem to fathom it out and may have misplaced the fixing so dont know if its screws or bolts or what..... Embarassed Question Question Question

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Boiler bands and cleading

Post  Rickster on Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:01 am

I had the same problem - no fixings for the cylinder boiler bands but used some allen head bolts to trial fit. The cylinder base is tapped though so no problme there with mine.

Have you had a cleading problem with the section going round the cylinder ? I have spoken to Steve about this and mine is wrong. The rear cylinder boiler band can't hold the cleading as this lines up directly with the back of the cylinder. Not had a reply yet as to what STW are going to do about it.

It seems the section covering the wayshaft and the cylinder sections should have had a cut out which allows the boiler bands under the cleading to support both sections about 15mm back from the cylinder. This then allows the brass boiler band to cover both sections rather than butting up to the cyclinder directly with no way of holding the two sections together as it should be.

cheers

Rick

Rickster

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2010-02-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:39 am

Havent really paid much attention to the location of the bands but you are right that they dont line up or cover correctly. To be fair I know just why I bought a finished engine last time out as I can honestly say with the other issues that have been going on I am hating every moment of this and cant wait for it to be finished.

Let me be clear here.... I have no issues with the quality of the kits supplied or the components within the kits, the service and back up is impeccable and when done the engine should be a show stopping head turner, but as for constructing stuff that is heavy, awkward, unforgiving and gets in the way of bits that need to be added I am getting no joy from this at all. Sad Sad

highpressure

Back to top Go down

Building experience

Post  lynnr on Mon 15 Aug 2011, 5:27 am

Hi All

Just to counter-balance HP. I am thoroughly enjoying the experience of building these Kits. I would love to do the lot from scratch but I do not have the space for the tooling required. Although I can do most of the machining action required. I find the engine very addictive as I am waiting eagerly each month for the next kit of parts and I must admit I do get some what down when I do not have something to work on. Take my water bowser thread to see my activity level.

HP. I would love to finish your engine along side mine for a modest fee. You just keep buying the kits and get them delivered to me. Very Happy

lynnr

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse on Tue 02 Apr 2013, 3:10 pm

A ha! Just found the thread I was looking for. My cladding has the same issue as above,in that at the rear of the cylinder the edge of the cladding is at the edge of the cylinder so the band will only hold the rear piece by the way shaft bracket and not the rear of the piece below the cylinder.

What was the solution ?

Thanks as always

Simon

MrStationHouse

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2011-04-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Tue 02 Apr 2013, 9:42 pm

There is a resolution. Best phone Steve at Steam Traction World.

lynnr

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Sat 06 Apr 2013, 3:58 am

Laughing Laughing Laughing Ha Ha Ha, just looked back and read my comments.... fell about, all a distant memory now but how I enjoyed that time of the construction Shocked Just want to reiterate didn't have any issue with the kits, quality, back up etc, just don't really get off on the fiddly construction and I also seem to recall I hadn't actually done it in the right order which only made it worse!! Ok now though and couldnt be happier!!! Very Happy Very Happy

We need a steaming icon!!

highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:10 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top