Tone's Showmans second lot!

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cylinder cover gaskets

Post  Steve Traill on Fri 20 Jan 2012, 2:38 pm

On the first batch SC Burrells we didn't get gaskets and just used some grinding paste to lap the cover to the block. Being circular it was easy, with the DCC it would not be possible as it's one piece so maybe a gasket would be a good idea. On the second batch SC Burrells gaskets were supplied.

One thing with all the gaskets on my engine I only put foliac on one side of the gasket if at all. On the other side I use general purpose grease (or sometimes both sides) that way when you strip stuff down for maintenance the part comes away cleanly and you don't destroy the gasket. I've never had any leaks from doing this and everything is on it's original gaskets after 7 years, it's something my father advised & he worked for Holmans Engineering for 40 years.

Anything that is permanently fixed though like the block to the boiler then follow Steve B's instructions!

Steve Traill

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wheels!!

Post  Tony King on Wed 25 Jan 2012, 6:27 am

Hi All,
Now I'm pretty much up to date with the build & have no more excuses, I've finally started the "bit wot I've been a dredding"!!
YES, the lining of the wheels!! There's so much at stake here........ it's difficult to do, there's miles & miles of it, it's difficult to get to some areas, all the spokes have to be the same & it's the most visual part of the engine, so can make or brake (?) the overall effect of the paint scheme. In addition, I've gone for seriously bright colours, which will probably highlight any errors, of which there WILL be a few, I'm sure!!

OK, I've started with very thin very sticky tape & painted in the red outline, then removed the tape, so far so good:-

Then done the same round the brass hub:-

This is the front wheel:-

Having let the paint dry for a couple of days, I've masked off the next bit & am applying black paint, then carefully rubbing off the tops of the lettering to highlight those oh so famous words!!:-

Having removed the tape, some of the red paint came away with it!! You can see if you look carefully, so, out with small brushes straight away to touch up:-

OK, it's not perfect, but It'll do!! (A blind person would be pleased to see it!!). I'm happy with it & it's incredible how more "sophisticated" the wheel is starting to look already!!

I know I'm preaching to most of you who are far more capable than I, but still hope you enjoy the pictures.......... Cos there'll be more, as I progress onto the spokes!!

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Is it good enough or not

Post  lynnr on Wed 25 Jan 2012, 8:24 am

Well Tony

All I can say is Outstanding. Please take that as a complement. You are doing very well and with the shiny bit you are doing better. I have not gone for the ultra gloss but your engine does shine very very well.

On the edge lining I have found the beugler does a wonderful job and that is how I done the spokes. I done the middle stripe using 2 passes one either side of the spoke as a guide. Then the thin edge done the same way to balance the edges out.

lynnr

Number of posts : 2716
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Re: Tone's Showmans second lot!

Post  highpressure on Wed 25 Jan 2012, 8:29 am

Hey Tony,

A very good finish there, I find it particularly satisfying to do these bits as its not far off the professional finish but with nil cost!!! and you really have done that by yourself. As you or Lynn said we are already lepers because we didnt make every nut and bolt so using tape to get the lining done wont add to the loathing anyway. If you set it out with tape like you and I have done you can achieve a very good finish and there is no issue with brush control, you can take your time and reset the tape as many times as you need. The paint lifting off the previous bits can only be cured I think by flatting down the gloss finish and then laquering afterwards, something I wish I had done on the wheels but did on the cleading. This would give the lining that extra bit of protection, but of course you need to be brave to flat down all the lovely gloss and then spray the laquer on afterwards!!! I still need to finish some of the front wheels... I put the central stripe on the inside of the spokes but the first attempt to put the outer colour on removed 50% of the center line so I stopped there!!! I will use another technique I have tried before to do them before it goes out as they are on the inside.

Wont be long now... I can almost smell the coal.... drunken drunken

Cheers Kev

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Wheel lining!

Post  Tony King on Wed 25 Jan 2012, 8:51 am

Thanks Lynn & Kev,
I appreciate your responces & comments, which I'll act on!
I do have a Beugler lining tool, so perhaps I should give it a chance to prove itself. Also, I'll try wet n drying the area to be lined to reduce paint peeling when the tape is removed!
OK, I'm off to play with a front wheel!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Wed 25 Jan 2012, 2:37 pm

Tony. It looks stunning and will really help to set off the engine. Well none

Robfishman

Number of posts : 947
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Front wheels

Post  Tony King on Thu 26 Jan 2012, 9:19 am

Hi All,
I've spent a few hours masking & painting the first part of the "spokes" design. I've decided to keep it "simple" & "straight", so, I should half a chance to get it all done without too many mistakes!!.................. That's one hell of alot of spokes when you come to putting on the tape!!
(& the front is both sides of each wheel!!).

Takes an hour or so to mask up:-

And only minutes to apply the paint! Here I've done the "difficult to get to spokes" & removed the tape:-

First side of four................. done:-

Now, temperally back on the engine for a couple of days, then the whole lot has to be masked up again!!!!!!!!!!!!:-

The rear wheel is about to come off & get the red stripe treatment:-

Hope you all don't find this too boring!!

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster on Thu 26 Jan 2012, 9:51 am

Boring! oh Tony no way, the pics of your engine and how it is progressing is great.
Keep them coming please

if my engine looks half as good as yours(only a lowly road loco though !)I will be extremely pleased.

Kev

Kevster

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2011-01-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Thu 26 Jan 2012, 10:05 am

Looking very good Tony. Yes it is very nice to see other engines progressing.

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Thu 26 Jan 2012, 12:10 pm

I'll second that it's great to see all the progress photos, it's helps those like me who are coming up from behind how others have solved the problems and the techniques used.

Keep up the good work.

Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Rear wheels!

Post  Tony King on Fri 27 Jan 2012, 9:21 am

Hi All,
I know it's repetative, but herewith, the rear wheels start to get their lines!!:-

This took me all day today!! (very satisfying when the last bit of tape is lifted off!!)

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL on Fri 27 Jan 2012, 10:50 am

Tony,

It is looking superb are you planning on any edge lines on the wheels, personally think the single line looks great.

I am at the painting tender stage and have tried taking pictures but have noticed the flash shows up how thin some of my black areas are as the blue is showing through. Cannot see it in reality just in the photos? Will post some more pics on my thread this weekend .

Ian

IanL

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2011-07-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Fri 27 Jan 2012, 10:56 am

Interesting, have seen it happen with the reds but not the Black. I'll have to watch for that as well.

Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster on Fri 27 Jan 2012, 11:01 am

Looking a first class job, its a pleasure to see it all coming together

Kev

Kevster

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2011-01-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Fri 27 Jan 2012, 11:57 am

Hi Ian,
Actually, the red is going to be the edge line round a black centre line....................... Watch this space!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

More wheel stuff!

Post  Tony King on Mon 30 Jan 2012, 6:41 am

Hi All,
I've managed to get a few more hours in the workshop, so I'll show the next stage in The lining saga"!!

First inside front wheel, masked off & painted...........BUT, I'm unhappy with the proportions of black to red, ie too much black!!

This is the second attempt on the other front inside.... Just the smallest differance in line width, ie black line a wee bit narrower & to my eye works really well:-

The completed "next stage"!!:-

Having put the front wheels back on the engine, I've decided I can "get away" with the slight differance between left & right inside lining, as I really don't want to completely repaint the the first wheel!!

Right, onto the back wheels again!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Rear wheels!

Post  Tony King on Tue 31 Jan 2012, 8:03 am

Hi All,
The wheel lining has reached the stage where I have to decide what to do next!! Do I paint the wheel rivets pretty colours , do I attempt lines down each side of the spokes onto the main rim or nothing else & keep it simple!!

Anyway, a couple of pics of the rear wheels:-

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Tue 31 Jan 2012, 2:16 pm

Interesting choice of lining, and relatively simple to achieve with all straight lines. Personally I prefer your first version of black line which is wider but what do I know I am colour blind Neutral

You must be waiting for the next kit to get the wheels on properly once the paint is dry, a landmark kit as the wheels are connected to the crankshaft then albeit without a gear change mechanism.

Keep up the good work, look forward to seeing the finished engine somewhere later this year.

Brian

bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2010-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Tue 31 Jan 2012, 2:28 pm

Umm painted rivets or not......a discussion the daughter and I keep having. I quite like them, she thinks they look like clowns noses and doesn't like them.

For anyone who has, how have you found the best way to paint them is, have tried one of the front wheels freehand and to be honest it was not even close to good enough. I wonder if the Scotch tape Lynn uses will go to such a tight radius? ...but lots of work to mask off if it will.

I have to say you wheels look great as they are, wide or norrow black i like both.

Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Washout plates.

Post  Tony King on Wed 01 Feb 2012, 5:43 am

Hi All,

Thanks to Northburrell (Jo), I've recieved & fitted the washout plates he supplied for both my engines:-

A close up:-

My SC agricultural:-

Thanks Jo.

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  northburrell on Wed 01 Feb 2012, 6:20 am

good to see them on the engines Tony. keep up the good work mate your getting on well with the wheels.

Smile

Jo

northburrell

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-10-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Wed 01 Feb 2012, 7:30 am

Robfishman wrote:Umm painted rivets or not......a discussion the dau

ghter and I keep having. I quite like them, she thinks they look like clowns noses and doesn't like them.

For anyone who has, how have you found the best way to paint them is, have tried one of the front wheels freehand and to be honest it was not even close to good enough. I wonder if the Scotch tape Lynn uses will go to such a tight radius? ...but lots of work to mask off if it will.

I have to say you wheels look great as they are, wide or norrow black i like both.

Rob.

I painted the rivets freehand using a sign writers brush. wide and blunt. Otherwise full size masking tape with holes cut in it.

Tony you loco looks wonderful. spokes are better than mine Very Happy

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Spokes

Post  Tony King on Wed 01 Feb 2012, 8:00 am

Hi Lynn,
Thanks for kind comments! Your lining is more traditional & probably more difficult to do, therefore will be appreciated by people more than my "simple straight lines" !!
I'm trying to find a way of painting the rivets easily......... dont fancy cutting masking tape, unless I can make up a punch to make the holes.
I don't think I'd have the patience to do them free hand with a brush......... I might try a metal washer with a correct hole size & see if that works......... Probably end up smearing paint everywhere or scratching the base colour!!
If I work out a successful method I'll let the forum know!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Spots!!

Post  Tony King on Fri 10 Feb 2012, 5:11 am

Hi All,
In my spare time this week, I've been pondering how to paint the wheel rivet heads. To that end, I made a masking tool out of a penny washer & attached a handle to it!! I opened out the hole with a counter sink bit, untill the washer almost sat at the "root" of the rivet head. As you can see in the first picture I had to file away quite a bit of the washer so as to get it in among the rivet heads on the wheel rim.

"The tool":-

How it works!!:-

The first spots!!:-

The second load of spots:-

The complete picture:-

I have to say, it's not a perfectionists job, but if you don't get too "close", at a quick glance, I think it looks OK!!

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Fri 10 Feb 2012, 5:18 am

Sorry I have to disagree with you there Tony.

Even at close range it looks very good! Very nice indeedy!

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:29 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top