Presedential Candidate??

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

More lining and other torture!!!

Post  highpressure on Sat 26 May 2012, 10:16 am

Been quite lucky with both the powder coaters and platers. Took the gear guards and odd bits to get them powdered on Wednesday and they were able to do them that afternoon ( a benefit of choosing black ) and then dropped the regulator and fire door to the platers to find out they would do them that afternoon too, so all was back here last night ready to rock on...

As I have been waiting for hot weather to take off and glue the tYres ( to try and get them as pliable as poss ) I thought this weekend would be the right time. Bearing in mind these have been dry fitted now for at least 18 months I had hoped they would have stretched sufficiently to "pop " them off and slip them back on with the Isoflex. HA HA HA HA What a sh*t of a job and a total nightmare once Isoflex is everywhere. I cant say enough thank yous to my wife for being shouted at to " come and help with this f*******G job" Shocked Shocked I did try and warn that Isoflex gets everywhere sticks like sh*t to a blanket. After about an hour and a lot of sweating swearing and general upset I finally squeezed the tire back on. I'm so glad I only took one off as overnight I considered a less impossible way to get the other one done and despite having no reference to the actual instructions came up with a rather ingenious method. As the tyre was nice and hot in the sun I managed to lever it up on the rim and shove the socket extension in. Then poked the brush in the gap trailing the bar and then rotated it forwards to open up a further gap and continue until the whole tire was done. I am well aware there is no primer in there or that I havent ran the angle grinder on the face of the rubber but compared to the alternative I DONT CARE!!! Shocked Smile My wife told me how much she hates traction engines Shocked

Then got on with flatting and lining the gear guard. I have now realised I should have flatted every piece prior to lining and then laquer them but I cant go back to some of it so I will just have to hope it lasts and touch it in when its damaged. Here is a couple of shots of some of it in progress. I will update when finished. I will enjoy seeing this on the engine and hope to get it to the Spring Fair at Laughton next weekend, then once in the trailer I iwll take it to the weigh bridge I stopped in at yesterday.

I for one will certainly be glad when this is all finished and I am steaming around, I know all this will be forgotten then cheers

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Presedential Candidate??

Post  highpressure on Sat 26 May 2012, 11:01 am

Forgot to add the first stage of lining pics.... Rolling Eyes

highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Flasback on Sat 26 May 2012, 11:39 pm

Kev,

Sorry but your post had me crying and I have not laughed so much in ages, I am so glad its not just my wife who keeps telling me her view with regards to traction engines. I must admit I have thrown a few spanners across the garage a several times and sat in a corner talking to myself on this build. But your photos do give you credit.

Dwain

Flasback

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2011-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW on Sun 27 May 2012, 12:44 am

lol!

craig@STW

Number of posts : 1194
Registration date : 2010-05-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Sun 27 May 2012, 2:31 am

Hi Dwain,

Glad it made you laugh, I had a chuckle when I wrote it. Very Happy I have made no secret of the fact that the assembly is NOT why I am doing this, the "building experience" is one I shan't miss. I just want to steam this and this is the best way to get an otherwise unattainable engine because I would never have been able to a: afford such an engine and b: get it past SWMBO. Only two or so kits to go though and the roof is wood so at least that can be burnt if it p*sses me off!

Anyone going to Laughton next week, it should be there and then the Moors Valley Railway Gala at Moors Valley Country Park ( BH24 2ET ) the following week. Worth going there just for the railway, 10" gauge and about 1 1/2 miles in very nice scenery, not to mention 60 or so miniatures.

Cheers Kev.

highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Sun 27 May 2012, 9:27 am

Hi Kev, we should be at Moors Vally on the Sunday.

Robfishman

Number of posts : 947
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian M on Sun 27 May 2012, 9:29 am

Only two or so kits to go though and the roof is wood so at least that can be burnt if it p*sses me off!
... lol!

Looking good, my only observation is the dynamo platform is missing Very Happy

All the best,

Brian M

Brian M

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-01-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Be on your guard

Post  highpressure on Fri 01 Jun 2012, 9:21 am

Just laquered the gear guard today as the hot weather lately dried everything off well. Will be at Cuckoo Spring Fair tomorrow with "His Majesty"

Will wait for the gear change before doing other one. Anyone following on behind I have learnt a valuable lesson with ling which may seme obvious but I haven't tried till the last few bits done and wish I had known with all the other stuff is that you get a much better result with laquering it after its lined. Although the rubbing down makes it look crap it sings afterwards. I didnt know this for the wheels, tender and belly tank and they are all lined straight onto clean paint and unprotected, but so was the previous engine and it survived quite well but laquering is much better, so do it as you go. I am certainly NOT relining the above... Evil or Very Mad

highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Fri 01 Jun 2012, 1:25 pm

Hi Kev,
Is your laqure/varnish sprayed or brushed?........... Whatever, it looks superb, well done!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Fri 01 Jun 2012, 2:06 pm

Hi Tony,

It is Plastikote Krystal clear spray on. It comes out very quick and kind of milky and the first time I used it I thought "crap! thats not good" but it dries nice and clear and really makes the colours pop. I'm looking forward to seeing it on the engine with the gear change and the motion covers. Hopefully within the next week or so.

I would love to get these all together at STW when we have a good number done, what a sight that would be!!!

Kev.

highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Thu 21 Jun 2012, 5:08 am

Finally got around to attaching the gear guard at the weekend, just working on the reverser bracket as I type , in the oven hardening the first set of lines so that should be back on soon.

Once the next kit arrives and I can fit the crank for the final time it will really look special, had a lot of very completmentary remarks when its been out as a static exhibit and really looking forward to it running. I have also had a lot of people ask about STW details so you really should send out a few A5s with the final kits for us to hand out, I'm more than happy to do that.

highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Thu 21 Jun 2012, 7:28 am

Hi Kev,
I know I've posted these before somewhere on the forum, but I took these last year at Castle Fraser, so I'm sure you won't mind a second look Very Happy

Hope you Road Loco guys enjoy!!

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Thu 21 Jun 2012, 7:56 am

There's something about that engine that is vaugely familiar..... Laughing Laughing

highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Sun 12 Aug 2012, 10:29 am

Just got back from a super day at the newly reinstated Northchapel Steam and Vintage show near Petworth in Sussex. Lit up about 10.30 and due to very calm hot conditions, too much water and a blocked grate took about 2 hours to get a head of steam up, but once the blower picked up it soon got going. Ran faultlessly till about 3.30 without any hitches and no retainers in the valves. Dropped the fire and then let it run ot loose the pressure and it kept going till about 20 psi. Lots of very nice comments about the whole ensemble and lots of comments about the nylon gears. Couldnt be happier and cant wait for the flywheel and to actually drive it!!! Very Happy

Even got the trailer out to make a bit of a display....

Had two weekends in a row in steam and have another two to go!! Lets just hope the weather holds. Neutral

highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Sun 12 Aug 2012, 12:55 pm

Very nice pics Kev, good to see you're sorting out all the problems with your engine....... which looks superb by the way!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Sun 12 Aug 2012, 1:08 pm

Don't look too closely it is really filthy now!! Impossible to keep it clean or get to some of it and as fast as you clean it you put more oil on it and it just keeps getting dirty!! The colour the copper top has gone has to be seen and Andy polished first thing!! When its cold the oil just sticks to it as it thickens up. Does looked more "lived in" now.

Wasn't too bothered about the roof up till now, but it will really set it off and stand out once it's fitted. That was the main reason for doing it, I wanted something different from the plethora of agriculturals that are now quite common at most dos.

highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Sun 12 Aug 2012, 3:29 pm

Looks like the paint succumbed on the chimney, Kev.
Your grin spreads from ear to ear!

Tim

Tim Watson

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Sun 12 Aug 2012, 11:16 pm

Yes apparantly thats due to it being zintec and not being prepped properly! Embarassed Not too much of a task to whip it off and try again. The heat does seem much more than I remember the other one having, it was the steam test that really pulled it off though, full blower for 10 mins or so. Some one has suggested a second slightly smaller chimney inside as a liner to keep the heat off the outer wrapper but I don't think I would be able to make one due to the rolling needed so not sure if I'll try that.

highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Mon 13 Aug 2012, 12:48 am

Zintec certainly does not let the paint stay on a chimney, as I also found out when fitting the new STW pattern chimney to Madeline. I routinely use Hammerite onto bright metal for hot bits and cure in the oven incrementally up to 220 deg C. It is no bad thing to keep the paint oiled when you know you are going to be working hard, because I think it helps to keep the paint flexible and prevents cracking - my theory anyway. Full blower for 10 minutes in a boiler test is excessive: if the safeties work fine with a roaring fire for a minute or two, then prolonging the agony for ten minutes is just guaranteed to b****r the paint and proves nothing. Maybe you will need an unpainted steam testing chimney!

A smaller chimney liner would obviously help: I think Julia did this, but access for cleaning / scraping out would become less easy. You could always use one of the original skinny MW chimneys!

Tim

Tim Watson

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Mon 13 Aug 2012, 2:03 am

[quote="highpressure"]Ran faultlessly till about 3.30 without any hitches and no retainers in the valves. Very Happy

Kev

Glad to see you finally smiling, there is light at the end of every tunnel. Did you put the slide valve retainers back on or leave them of as was suggested by others on the forum??

Brian

bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2010-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Mon 13 Aug 2012, 9:34 am

Took the whole of the retainer components out. Didn't seem to be any different at all. Nothing to come off and get busted now.

highpressure

Back to top Go down

The eyes have it!!

Post  highpressure on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 1:55 pm

In preparation for this weekends do at Singleton I got around to fitting the lamps I have with the brackets Rob kindly supplied to me. I think they look just right and set the front off a treat. There have been some other additions too which will be revealed after the event.....

highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 2:31 pm

You have a flywheel Very Happy

lynnr

Number of posts : 2716
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 2:20 am

Is that candle bulbs in your lamps there Kev?

What a good idea, saves messing about with lamp oil.

Robfishman

Number of posts : 947
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 3:19 am

I have seen some small candle lamps in the local pound shop was thinking about modifying them to fit in my lamps,
not sure how good they are though but for a pound might be worth a try.

Kev

Kevster

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2011-01-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:51 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top