New Products

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Products

Post  Rickster on Mon 27 Sep 2010, 12:31 pm

Hi Steve/Dean,

Is there or could there be anything in the pipeline for a Fowler ploughing engine when the DCC's are finished in a couple of years time? Something like a BB1/AA or Z7 would be magical.

These engines are very thin on the ground and would make a fantastic model due to their sheer size and presence.

The downside of needing two for a set to plough with, would actually be a great way to encourage others into the world of steam to pair up with.

It would be a great opportunity to build kits around this - ploughs, sleeping vans, cultivators, mole drainers, harrows, water bowsers etc...... you could run with it for some time - the engine itself would be more expensive, obviously, but the agricultural implements would keep the interest going and would make a superb addition at rallys.

So....... what are the chances ??

Cheers Rick

Rickster

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2010-02-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Products

Post  sonick45 on Mon 27 Sep 2010, 1:30 pm

couldn't afford one unless i sold the road loco but I love ploughing.. The sheer power is wicked..

listening to the Cheif single cylinder barking hard as it pulls the plough is my favourite every year at Old Warden...
what a beast.

Great idea though. No one seems to do the plough engines and they make fantastic models.

sonick45

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2009-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Steam ploughing engine

Post  Rickster on Tue 28 Sep 2010, 8:28 am

I've just spend the weekend driving and ploughing on a Z7, 2 different BB1's, an 8 horse single and the only Howard engine in existence - fantastic!

There would be more interest than you would first think - last year they actually had two 4" engines ploughing!

Go on Steve - you know it make sense!!

Rickster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ploughing Engine

Post  Steam Traction World on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 8:27 am

Okay, so what should we do? Single or Compound, LH or RH or both! 3" scale or 4". My guess is that if we were to consider doing a 4" scale BB1 then it would weigh around 1.2 tonnes and I think bigger than the Showmans. Price would be around 25k unless we did them as a pair with the second one as BOGOF in which case the price of the first one would be 50k Laughing

Seriously, if there is sufficient demand then of course we would do it. We would need around 20 orders before we could put them into production at a reasonable cost and some firm commitment before we could consider the design costs.

We welcome your comments.

Regards

Steve & Dean

Steam Traction World

Number of posts : 886
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Plougher

Post  Rickster on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 9:38 am

Hi Steve,
For me I would go for 4" - a 3" is about 73" so a 4 wouldn't be much bigger than a Showmans, and build ten of each left and right so people can pair.

In real terms now, there a real mixture of each so if a left hand engine on a right hand field, you just plough in reverse.

For me the single would be the one, they sound fantastic when pulling hard, and would probably be a bit cheaper, but the BB1 comound would be the ultimate choice.

If people are genuinely interested, I would be prepared to give up front commitment to you guys to get it started towards the cost. I'll PM my number if you guys want to give me a ring, please do.

Rickster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  forge on Sat 02 Oct 2010, 2:23 am

i would be interested if the price is affordable on an extended monthly basis! Would prefer a 4".

How well do they drive?

Jon

forge

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-07-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

re: New Products

Post  Rickster on Thu 04 Nov 2010, 1:15 pm

Hi Steve/Dean,
Well that's two of us so far ! Any other interest ?

Rick

Rickster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Fowler Z7 bressingham 2009

Post  Rickster on Tue 09 Nov 2010, 12:06 pm

To maybe help gain some interest here for those that are curious, type the above into you tube and watch the video - there are several more of this 4'' Z7 actually ploughing.....

She sounds fabulous on tick over, I think you will agree.

It is a fantastic engine that clearly can produce some useful work and certainly adds some interest you don't often see.

cheers

Rick

Rickster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 on Thu 10 Mar 2011, 4:52 am

A 6" scale Ransome Sims and Jefferies traction engine single cylinder modeled from the prototype engine 11412. Now that would be a very powerful and extremely rare engine. I'd buy 2!!! Very Happy
Dean / Steve
What would be the estimated price off the top of your head for such a model if you had 20 firm orders?

Graeme81

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2009-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World on Thu 10 Mar 2011, 9:26 am

Hi Graeme

Send me a photo. Is it a 7nhp? The problem with a 6" engine is that there are a few components outside our machining capacity. Still we could always sub those out. A very rough guide, assuming there's nothing very unusual with 11412 would be 40 to 45k. Every pattern would have to be made because I dare say that there's none out there that we could borrow.

Buy the way, you're the only one thats noticed the inappropriate model on our home page. I only spotted it just before Christmas.

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 on Thu 10 Mar 2011, 4:08 pm

Hi Steve,
Yes she is a 7nhp engine and a very good looking engine as well, see below!! Very Happy
She is no 11412 of 1897 and is the oldest surviving RSJ traction engine in preservation. This would be a relatively large and very powerful and handsome 6 inch scale model.
I am not aware of any other 6 inch scale Ransomes engines and I have been looking out for quite some time!
I would be more than happy to send as many pictures and dimensions as you would like.
As the Ransomes slogan reads: The Best Obtainable
I would definately buy one after the DCC burrell's are completed.
I have deleted the steersman to save my blushes!!
If a 6inch was out of the question I would settle for a 4inch!!! Wink

I noticed the inappropriate model because in my opinion, that particular model of the burrell is not as well proportioned or dare i say as nice looking as the STW burrell. (no offence to anyone with a plastow burrell!! Neutral )

Graeme81

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stewart on Mon 04 Apr 2011, 11:49 am

What about a lovely 4" road roller???? dont belive anybody does one at present Cool

stewart

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-08-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rickster on Mon 04 Apr 2011, 12:38 pm

I would definately be up for one of those. I've never seen a 4'' roller - has anyone seen one ?

An Aveling SCC would be magic and sound great on full chat, but my all time favourite would still be 4'' BB1 Fowler ploughing engine. Just not enough interest in but a most imposing engine.

Rick

Rickster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rickster on Tue 05 Apr 2011, 9:12 am

I'd also be interested in a 6" engine. The Ransomes look good. Be nice to do something other than a Burrell, not that there's anything wrong with a Burrell, just a bit different.

Prefer a 6" engine over a 4" for my next project if you can get enough interest.

How about a 6'' Fowler BB1 !!!!!

Rickster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 on Sat 07 May 2011, 6:42 pm

how about a nice 4 inch stone crusher....make a nice kit but also very practical at the rallies for crushing the large coal into 4 inch scale sizes for the engines!! a perfect compliment for a 4in engine Wink

Graeme81

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Sun 08 May 2011, 5:29 am

I have seen two 4" rollers at rallies over the last few years. Sadly cant remember details of either except that one was at the Powderham Castle do in Exeter last year. They do look good though and are different from the plethora of agriculturals.

Funnliy enough my neighbour who lives exactly behind my house has a 3" simplicity and a 3" little gem which he has had in steam a couple of times. He also has 5" and 3 1/2" locos and built almost all of them from scratch over the last 50 years. The list of locos he has built is endless but as he is in his 80's now he doesnt do anything any more.

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 on Sun 08 May 2011, 11:30 pm

So Steve / Dean / Steam Traction World customers
What d'ya reckon about 4 inch scale stone crusher? Would make a nice load to pull behind a 4 inch engine and also a great practical machine to crush the coal down to size at rallies?

Graeme81

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Stone crusher

Post  Steve Traill on Mon 09 May 2011, 2:14 am

Great idea, but bricks I think would be more suitable, I can watch a stone crusher for ages and wonder at it's chomp-chomp-chomp sound as it smashes up rocks. I'd definately buy one for those rallies when you can't move about much. Also it's recycling waste for which I believe there is a goverment grant!!! (joke)

Steve Traill

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  forge on Sun 12 Feb 2012, 10:32 am

Any updates on possible future kits?
I would love to build a 4" ploughing engine, 4" or 6" roller depending on size of the full size.

Are there any plans to build a new batch of Likamobile kits or are you considering something similar?

Jon

forge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World on Mon 13 Feb 2012, 6:18 am

Hi Jon,

A new batch of Lykamobiles has been advertised recently. We are looking to do a small batch of 15, starting Spring (April/May) to replace the batch that have just finsihed. Ideally we need 10 firm deposits and so far have recived 7.

Apart from the 6" Foden and the re release of the DCC Road Loco and Showman's engine later in the year plus the wagon to suit them there is currently nothing else new in the pipe line.

If i could get enough orders for a 6" Burrell Agricultural engine i'm sure we would do a batch of them (as the one's i started have ground to a halt and i still really really want one!)

Dean

Steam Traction World

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Mon 13 Feb 2012, 8:51 am

Dean

As you are going to have a half-size compound cylinder for the Foden wagon, is this something that could be used on a Foden agricultural or road loco?? I kow you like to reuse the parts bin where possible and it must be an expensive pattern your having made. Sorry if the question is dumb as I have not looked at the TE boiler diameter and cylinder dimentsions compared with the wagon but it would be an interesting deviation from the norm, even McClarens are getting common these days.

Fodens have the springs above the hornplates and are 4 shaft engines so that wont help the cost but it is certanly something you do not see much of today in full size or minature form. Also. bloody big 7 foot rear wheels and more spokes than a Burrell or Fowler. I have been on Prospector, the showmans engine Atkinson's show for Mr Wilkinson of Blackpool and I have been on a compound agricultural engine at the NTET driving course but I cannot recall any other Foden TEs.

Cheers

Brian

Last edited by bjwlancashire on Mon 13 Feb 2012, 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2010-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Mon 13 Feb 2012, 10:39 am

Hi Dean,

I would seriously consider marketing the 6" TE. I reckon there must be an audience for it looking at the rising numbers at shows these days. Once again you would lead the way for home builders. By the way I couldnt afford one and wouldnt want to store or move it either so I'm not going to order one, I shall be happy with the DCC. Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers Kev.

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  forge on Wed 15 Feb 2012, 9:29 am

Steam Traction World wrote:Hi Jon,

A new batch of Lykamobiles has been advertised recently. We are looking to do a small batch of 15, starting Spring (April/May) to replace the batch that have just finsihed. Ideally we need 10 firm deposits and so far have recived 7.

Apart from the 6" Foden and the re release of the DCC Road Loco and Showman's engine later in the year plus the wagon to suit them there is currently nothing else new in the pipe line.

If i could get enough orders for a 6" Burrell Agricultural engine i'm sure we would do a batch of them (as the one's i started have ground to a halt and i still really really want one!)

Dean

Thanks Dean for the info.

Are you planning any changes / updates to the new batch of Lykamobiles?
I would love to build a 6" engine but would need to build an extension on the garage first! so its either a 4" DCC or Lykamobile for me. Any chance you could send me some details via PM or e-mail with an idea of costs as i can only finance a new build on a longer term build schedule. (being newly married is costly, but worth it!)...

Jon

forge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 on Wed 15 Feb 2012, 3:22 pm

what price would u be talking? if i had a price estimate i would kno if i could afford one....

Graeme81

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  forge on Thu 16 Feb 2012, 8:39 am

I would love one too, could i be a kit build tester? study

forge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:15 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top