Thetford Works (Cornwall)

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Thetford Works (Cornwall)

Post  ejparrott on Sun 10 Mar 2013, 1:37 pm

My Hunslet has inside steam chests, vertical valve faces...she has cylinder drain cocks at the lowest point, if left open after a run they drain all the condensate out. I also squirt liberal quantities of WD40 into the steam chest and bores through a specially fitted plug.

ejparrott

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2012-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 10 Mar 2013, 4:48 pm

I'm not a great fan of WD40 as it's a bit thin & tends to evaporate fairly quickly. It has it's uses but I prefer duck oil as it is good as a lubricant, cleaner and it doesn't evaporate quickly. As far as drain holes for the condensation I've found that although there is condensation in the valve chest cover there rarely is enough to run out of a drain hole. In between rallies the condensation doesn't really have long enough to do much damage but over the winter lay up a good dry out & oil up is beneficial.

Steve Traill

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Tanks for the memory!

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 12 May 2013, 2:49 pm

Just finished three belly tanks, ready for a coat of red lead, all painted inside.

Just love those little rivets!

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Tender love!

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 14 Jul 2013, 1:50 pm

Here's Deans tender & mine ready to bolt on, ............................................ I prefer painting wheels
Mine's the one on the left & Deans is the one on the right.

Hornplates now lined & will lacquer them tomorrow, it'll be nice to see them bolted on the boiler to give the full length.
The inside is bright red however the camera has made it look pink!

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:44 pm

Wow they look stunning.

Robfishman

Number of posts : 944
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

September update!

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 22 Sep 2013, 9:52 am

Wow, time flies, thought I'd post a few pictures of where I am with the build.  Going to Dorset and seeing the Road Loco's & Showmans in steam really has inspired me to press on and get them finished.  There's been a lot of things slowing the build this year what with my father being very ill & passing away and having to put a new roof on a rental house, the day job!, etc, etc. Here's the two belly tanks ready to fit, lacquer still tacky as I take the picture.

This ones for the Showmans & the one below is my crane engine

This shows the fire door handle, I've welded some extra metal to the horizontal section of the existing handle to 'beef' it up a bit, certainly feels a lot stronger.  Also cut away the web on the RH oil pot lid so it slides in & out easily rather than having to fiddle with it.

Here's Deans Showmans above and the workshop below

Here's a thing I've just made for the problem of how do you tell how much water is in the tender, sight gauges are some peoples preferred option although I worry about breaking glass.  On my other engine I put a dipstick which works pretty well and is what some of the full size use.  For the crane engine (Hurcules, yep it now has a name!) I decided to try something different, the float on a stick is ok but the tank is 8" deep so a rod sticking up 8 inches would soon get bent.  It's fairly low tech so there isn't much to go wrong.  I'm on the look out for a petrol tank sender float at the moment to fix to the bottom of the arm.  It's a bit of a fiddle to assemble in the tank, but gives  a readout from full to empty over 35mm so I'm quite please with that.  It is 60mm high so the water from the belly tank doesn't flood the manstand.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Sun 22 Sep 2013, 3:29 pm

Neat arrangement for the water tell-tale Steve. I can vouch that Thetford Works (Cornwall) has indeed been busy: I gave it a site inspection on Saturday.

Tim

Tim Watson

Number of posts : 531
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Paint

Post  Steve Traill on Tue 24 Sep 2013, 4:43 am

Thought I would add that I have been using Craftmaster Paints now for about three years and it really is superb, the shine you can get from their clear lacquer is second to none. Anyone out there considering starting a build should speak to Adam at Craftmaster for their paint. I've been painting cars, houses, boats and traction engines for the last 40 years and it's the best paint I've found for colour, finish and durability.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Water level indicator

Post  Steve Traill on Thu 26 Sep 2013, 1:06 pm

Here's the sender unit with the floats attached, simple stainless tying wire.  It needed two as one wasn't quite enough floatation, also made a knob for the top of the rod.

Here it is in situ, later I'll file three notches on the rod for full, half full & panic!

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwiconnection on Thu 26 Sep 2013, 2:29 pm

I would love to use Craftmaster paint but unfortunately you can't get it in New Zealand. No one will ship small amounts of paint, unless you win the lotto to be able to afford the hefty price tag demanded.

Kiwiconnection

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2011-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Thu 26 Sep 2013, 2:36 pm

International paints are very good and long lasting, only problem is the limited range of colours for heritage type work. They do a fairly close one to crimson lake in there TopLac range of enamels.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwiconnection on Thu 26 Sep 2013, 3:52 pm

Thanks for the pointer Steve, I will investigate availability.

Kiwiconnection

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2011-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Latest mods

Post  Steve Traill on Mon 30 Sep 2013, 3:01 pm

I have always thought the manhole ring was a bit bare so have added a few rivets that were supplied for 'extras' for the wheels.  I cut the rivets down so they are about 3-4mm and carefully drilled the ring so as not to touch the boiler.  A touch of locktite & the paint will keep them in place, they have on my other engine.

Now this is a bit of an experiment!  I've noticed that the rear spectacle plate gets a lot of smeech on it when you light a fire and have the doors open for any time.  As my fingers are not 4" scale to clean behind the pipes etc I figured if I could stop the smeech going straight up on to it I might stand a chance of keeping it clean.  This is a brass plate designed to bolt onto the middle shaft housing and deflect the smeech backwards therefore keeping the spectacle plate clean.  It should help anyway, when in position it doesn't foul anything and I can't see it being in the way, time will tell if it's a success.

It's about 1mm off the boiler so not much should go up there now

And finally, the bunker extension of Dean's Showmans, lined but not lacquered yet.

The artificial light doesn't do it justice really, the colours are (in order) black, gold, red, crimson lake, yellow, crimson lake.  Looks stunning (if I do say so myself!) wish I'd done my engine with this lining scheme!

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

November update

Post  Steve Traill on Mon 18 Nov 2013, 3:31 pm

Just finished lining the flywheels on the engine, here's a few pictures.

Waiting for some studs to bolt down the cylinder block at the moment.

You can see the gear wheel that will drive the winch (eventually)

Not lacquered yet so the masking tape is still on.

Flywheels were lined on the crankshaft so hopefully should run true.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Tue 19 Nov 2013, 7:42 am

Excellent work as always Steve.

Where is Steve's Road Loco, have you sold it??

cheers

Brian

bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2010-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Tue 19 Nov 2013, 9:06 am

I haven't room to assemble all three so Steve's Road Loco is in bits waiting a slot in the build bay.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Tue 19 Nov 2013, 10:06 am

Understood, is the painting, sub assembly to the same stage as the two assembled engines?? If it is you need to start wearing a cape and your underwear on the outside - that is prolific building as I cannot even drum up the motivation to go in the workshop and finish the traction wagons at the moment, end of season burn out I think. affraid

bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2010-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tractor mike on Tue 19 Nov 2013, 12:44 pm

woow 2 very nice engines coming along well done glad u have the motivation to go out and do 2 Smile 

tractor mike

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2012-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A cold night!

Post  Steve Traill on Tue 19 Nov 2013, 3:24 pm

With feet up in front of the fire it takes a Hurculean effort to go out in the cold & work on the engines! But every so often when bits go together & you see the progress it seems worth it.  Thanks for the kind comments.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

January update

Post  Steve Traill on Sat 25 Jan 2014, 1:15 pm

Have had all the motion work fitted and running smoothly and now removed it to fit the cleading.

Decided that although the insulation provided is probably more efficient I would stick with the traditional timber insulation, besides I had a plank of poplar which is what is generally used.  This cut up nicely into small strips.  I left the stips 5mm short of the smoke box as this can get very hot and I've seen on full size engines if the wood touches the smoke box it can ignite the wood.  On full size it is usual to leave the wood about an inch short there.  In case you are wondering what is keeping all the wood in place it's two strips of gaffer tape wrapped around the boiler sticky side out, works a treat!

I put the rivets around the manhole ring some time ago not thinking about the finisher, went to fit that and realised it wasn't big enough!  As I had to make a larger one I thought I would do it in brass instead of copper (purists look away!) as one, I like brass (shoulda got a showmans!) and two it doesn't discolour as quick as copper.  I had to anneal the brass twice whilst bending it but it went pretty well and am pleased with the result.  The original one on Deans Showmans is there for comparison.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Feb 2014 update

Post  Steve Traill on Mon 17 Feb 2014, 11:54 am

Progress on the cleading.  The spray shop had a blitz of white emulsion to keep the dust down & brighten it up a bit.  It was getting like the black hole of Calcutta with all the dark colours I've been spraying!

Waiting for the lacquer to harden now.

RL is black, bright red, mid chrome yellow on Crimson lake

Showmans lining is black, gold, bright red, mid chrome yellow on Crimson lake

Looking forward to getting it on the engines and then get the belly tanks & motionwork back on, it should start to look a bit something like it then.  This is a long haul!

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2nd March 2014 update

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 02 Mar 2014, 2:24 pm

Cleading is on now & fits quite well,

Here it shows the modification to the LH bearing cap, the photo is of the same part on 'Old Tim', it's been left overlong until I make the fork to engage the gear.

I know the accentrics should be painted red but they polished up so well it seemed a shame to then paint them & they can't chip now! Also shows the extension to the drip tray, fairly discreet and held up at the end with a spring located on a bolt so no drilling.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Mon 03 Mar 2014, 3:20 pm

They both look stunning. The lining is first class.

Robfishman

Number of posts : 944
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Tue 04 Mar 2014, 4:48 am

Thanks, I used the Finesse lining tape as although the beugler pen will do it it's the setting up for all the different spacings that makes the tape easier. The Beugler is ideal on the wheels but everything else I use the tape.
Have just started plating some of the parts for my crane engine in a satin nickel plate. I've been putting it off after a bit of a disaster 3 months ago. I dug my old nickel plating kit from out of the loft where it's been since 2005! The tub was still half full of the salts & I thought I'd top it up and add a kilo of new salts to liven it up a bit. Big mistake! it doesn't work like that, when I put the item in for plating it came out with a series of layered triangles on it, really weird, with some parts not plated at all. Tried different voltages and times but the finish was awfull and once I put it in again to try & plate a bit that was missed and half the plating dissappeared! I was considerably dischuffed with the whole thing & it's been sitting in my hall for the past three months with me muttering every time I went past it. Anyway decided to start from scratch, throw away the salts that were in the tub & try again. When I tipped the salts out there was this disgusting sludge (off white) all in the bottom of the tub that couldn't be seen. Cleaned it all out, measured out 10 litres of hot water & 2kg of salts, mixed it all up & tried again. 12 hours at 1.5volts and the finish is perfect, what a relief.

Moral of the story, the salts don't keep, when you've finished the plating, chuck it away.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 12:50 am

Hi Steve,

Only just had chance to have a look at the photo's after returning from a weeks business trip.

They look amazing. Brilliant job from fitting through to polishing through to painting and lining. Everything about them is stunning.

Well done.

Dean.

P.S. Got your list by email and will sort it today/tomorrow.

Steam Traction World

Number of posts : 884
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:15 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top