Thetford Works (Cornwall)

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Thetford Works (Cornwall)

Post  Robfishman on Sun 14 Oct 2012, 3:17 pm

Thanks for the information Steve, will be very useful.

Robfishman

Number of posts : 944
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Oil can

Post  Steve Traill on Tue 23 Oct 2012, 1:25 pm

Here's a small oil can I picked up on ebay for the new engine, a little oversize perhaps for a 4" engine but it holds enough oil for a local run.
This type of oil can is quite rare I believe as I haven't seen many for sale. This one pumps well as that's the other problem I've found in that you locate one, clean it up & it doesn't work!

Two questions for anyone out there, does anyone have a spare screw on tip? (it's missing) and there is a sort of clip mechanism on the top of the handle which is a mystery.............................any ideas?

Last edited by Steve Traill on Tue 23 Oct 2012, 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added a bit)

Steve Traill

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back Wheels

Post  Steve Traill on Sat 22 Dec 2012, 2:23 pm

Here's a couple of pics of the back wheels, they have been a nightmare to paint as yellow shows up dust as black spots and is a very unforgiving colour! I forget how many times I've rubbed them down & repainted them, the masking take was pretty thick when I pulled it off though!

The lining was the easy bit all done with the beugler pen as usual. Credit to Tim's jig for the curves on the rim, made them really easy. I tried to do a thin line around the rim but the weld beads and the fillet of filler are not perfect and the line wandered about. It looked ok when viewed straight on but from an angle it wasn't perfect so it went! I should get Deans wheels painted over the Xmas break, will post some pictures when done.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Sat 22 Dec 2012, 3:38 pm

Wow they look great, and I know what you mean about the yellow.

Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Deans wheels

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 27 Jan 2013, 11:55 am

Here's a few pictures of the back wheels of Deans Showmans I'm building, quite pleased with overall result.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Sun 27 Jan 2013, 12:04 pm

Impressive Exclamation

lynnr

Number of posts : 2687
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Sun 27 Jan 2013, 12:18 pm

Steve, Thetford Works Cornwall is a well deserved name for such fine workmanship, stunning results!!
With admiration,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Sun 27 Jan 2013, 12:30 pm

Anderton & Rowlands here we come!

Tim

Tim Watson

Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Showmans wheels

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 27 Jan 2013, 1:08 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys, you all know how many hours goes into createing this sort of thing. It's taking longer than I originally intended for the build but when it's finished the time taken is irrelevant, it's the finish that shows.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Sun 27 Jan 2013, 1:11 pm

Big question though?

Will it ever bee steamed?

lynnr

Back to top Go down

To steam or not to steam? that is the question!

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 27 Jan 2013, 3:11 pm

Once it's in Deans hands it's up to him, I'll steam it for 15 - 20 hours to run it in & sort any leaks then clean it up ready for the showroom or rally. I think Dean intends to use this engine, personally I like to see them in steam & I like to see them looking good. The expression used to describe a dirty engine is that it's in it's 'working clothes'. Really they just can't be bothered to clean it, but hey.........there's room for everyone in this world! flower

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Mon 28 Jan 2013, 3:04 am

Steve

The red wheels look superb and quite a change from all the yellow ones on here. I note that Tim's profile has been getting some serious use down in Cornwall.

Brian

bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2010-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL on Mon 28 Jan 2013, 4:03 am

Steve,

The wheels look superb well worth the effort you have put into them

Ian

IanL

Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2011-07-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Mon 28 Jan 2013, 3:17 pm

Words can't describe how good these look Steve, they are stunning. The bar hasn't just be raised its been taken down chopped up and used as kindling.

I'm looking forward to lining mine and if they are even half as good ill be happy.

Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Jig Jig

Post  Steve Traill on Mon 28 Jan 2013, 3:32 pm

Tim's jig for the curves was very useful and, like everything he makes, fitted perfectly between each spoke. I took the photo's at night in the caravan, if it ever stops raining I'll take the wheels out and photograph them in daylight as actually they'll look better then. I've got two tenders to paint next & line + the hornplates. I've got to fit a new extractor first though, the paint fumes & overspray have dissolved the fan blades to the point of no return! Have ordered an all metal extractor fan now & will fit a replacement sponge filter to trap some of the overspray. The paint was an inch thick on the back of the fan blades in places!!! No wonder it was not working very well.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Tue 29 Jan 2013, 9:11 am

Steve Traill wrote: I like to see them looking good. The expression used to describe a dirty engine is that it's in it's 'working clothes'. Really they just can't be bothered to clean it, but hey.........there's room for everyone in this world! flower

Thats fighting talk!!!! Evil or Very Mad Almost akin to the comment upon my visit to my local ME on Sunday where someone used the phrase "chequebook modeller" in my direction Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Now buying a complete engine is one thing... but having built this entire engine, understood its inner workings and fitted every bolt at least twice that really pissed me off. At this point in my life I have no desire to learn how to machine parts but I want to steam up almost every weekend Very Happy . To be fair it is quite a task to keep these really clean and I pity the showmans because they really do need to be kept clean which might be part of the fun but could also turn out to be a thankless task. I was looking back at some of the photos and videos of the engine just as it was finished and will endeavour to get it a little cleaner but for me it is soul destroying (ask my wife about keeping the garage, log cabin and any other areas I frequent clean Embarassed ) as fast as you clean it it makes itself dirty. I need to sort out Tims version of the oiler lids to restrict them flinging oil everywhere.

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ejparrott on Tue 29 Jan 2013, 12:10 pm

highpressure wrote:Almost akin to the comment upon my visit to my local ME on Sunday where someone used the phrase "chequebook modeller" in my direction Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad At this point in my life I have no desire to learn how to machine parts but I want to steam up almost every weekend

And when you do, you can turn round and ask them where their model is, and why it isn't in steam every weekend!

Usually shuts them up.....

ejparrott

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2012-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Lewis on Tue 29 Jan 2013, 12:36 pm

Steve Traill wrote:The expression used to describe a dirty engine is that it's in it's 'working clothes'. Really they just can't be bothered to clean it, but hey.........there's room for everyone in this world! flower

Hi Steve
What a fantastic job you are doing can not wait to see it in the flesh.
Regards to your comment about "dirty engines" I don't agree with your comment there is a big difference between dirty and working clothes. For example burrell 4014 and fowler 15375 are definatly in working clothes therefore not dirty, and are kept clean. Where as the are some engines around that have been restored and are dirty for the reason you stated. There is a difference between the two. One is authentic one is lazy ness.

Mark Lewis

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-12-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 on Wed 30 Jan 2013, 2:52 am

Steve Traill wrote: The expression used to describe a dirty engine is that it's in it's 'working clothes'. Really they just can't be bothered to clean it, but hey.........there's room for everyone in this world! flower

blasphemy!!

Graeme81

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2009-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Is it clean!

Post  Steve Traill on Thu 31 Jan 2013, 2:15 am

Well well, who'd think cleaning an engine could be contentious!, like I said there's room for everyone, model engineering is a broad church. When I said I like a clean engine I don't mean that it looks like it just came 'out of the box' rather than it looks well cared for. I like that patina that it gets ( like an old piece of furniture) after being well used & cared for. To clean it within an inch of it's life so that it looks like it's never been used is not for me but I do admire those that go to that much trouble. At the end of the day it's your engine, do with it what you will, it's nobody else's business and as for the comment about a 'chequebook modeller' these sort of snide remarks should be treated with the contempt they deserve.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World on Fri 01 Feb 2013, 1:36 am

I need a 'LIKE' Button!!!................First time I've seen my wheels at this stage and WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW. Please hurry up, forget everything else you are doing (including work).......i want that awesome piece of workmanship on our stand........as a matter of urgency.

As for the 'will they be steamed question'..................of course they will....both Steve and I intend to steam them at every show.

and as for the 'keeping it clean debate'...........our engines will be spotless even after steaming............why else do you think we employed Mark Lewis as an apprentice!! lol Smile

Dean

Steam Traction World

Number of posts : 884
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Fri 01 Feb 2013, 1:38 am

Like.

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Dean's wheels

Post  Steve Traill on Fri 01 Feb 2013, 3:57 am

Glad you like them, the gold paint works well & I think the proportions work as well, now for the rest of the engine. The tenders & being painted next along with the hornplates. Should be able to start bolting it together then.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ejparrott on Mon 04 Feb 2013, 5:31 am

That do? lol!

ejparrott

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2012-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Drainplug?

Post  Alex-Jan on Sun 10 Mar 2013, 9:53 am

"The next job is to remove the safety valve, cylinder end cover & the valve chest cover. It's surprising how much water/condensation accumulates there and over the winter it can do some damage. I dry this all out with paper towel and liberally brush steam oil around all the surfaces and replace the covers, coating the gaskets with steam oil or grease so they don't 'stick'."

Should it be worth making a small drain plug in the valve chest cover? I also found it filed with water, up to the steam port level when I unscrewed the cover in December. With a small plug I could easily drain this after steaming during the season.

[/quote]

Alex-Jan

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-10-25

View user profile http://www.miniatuurstoom.nl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:23 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top