Thetford Works (Cornwall)

Page 14 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14

Go down

Re: Thetford Works (Cornwall)

Post  LiveSteam on Wed 28 Feb 2018, 7:44 pm

mikero wrote:A 'performance chimney' has a Lempor ejector in it.

Mikero

Had to google that one, very interesting.

Steve Traill wrote:Hot rodding could have been written for steam engines as they are hot and use rods to function! Seriously, I just want my engine to run as good as it possibly can and up to now I felt it wasn't, if I wanted more power then increasing the pressure would do that.

I was only joking Embarassed

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2013-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 04 Mar 2018, 11:43 pm

Both engines out in the sun for their annual steam test with the agricultural have a hydraulic test for a starter.

Both passed with flying colours!

Steve Traill

Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Trevithick Day

Post  Steve Traill on Fri 04 May 2018, 10:15 pm

Here's a few pics from Trevithick Day, the town was packed, the sun shone and a good time was had by all.
Hercules ran faultlessly all day.
Getting ready for the off, we were leading the children dance through the town

Driving past Cap't Dick.

Up through Camborne main street.

How to make clouds,  it was blue sky until my safety valves blew!!

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark on Fri 04 May 2018, 10:24 pm

NICE

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2015-04-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Sat 19 May 2018, 5:03 pm

After finishing Trevithick Day well I did notice that each time I got back the mechanical oiler was empty.  When on a run it's not possible to check without stopping, then you think when did I last fill it up & usually when you check it's on the last knockings & needs a refill.  A lot of the full size oilers have a sight glass on them so I thought "how hard can it be"!!  Not very hard actually.  Rummaging around in my parts bin I found an LSM pipe elbow part no. 60/062, along with a bit of thin sight glass tube that came from an auction.  A bit of 30mm square brass sheet to make the top support & it was done.  The glass is araldited in the bottom and held secure with silicone at the top.  There is a 1/2mm pin hole in the top to let air in or out.  As you can see it works well & is very visible from the driving position even if the camera was focusing on a nearer object.  The spare nut from the elbow is silver soldered to the top of the bracket to hold the top of the glass tube.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Sat 19 May 2018, 9:52 pm

Nice addition, although do you really get through that much oil Shocked I thought mine was set rather rich and I still only need to top it up may be three times a day and my chimney is still like an oil slick.

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Sat 19 May 2018, 10:03 pm

I guess it depends on how hard the engine is working as the oiler works off engine revs. Better too much than too little! My chimney isn't too bad, it does build up a bit over the season to a thickness of a couple of millimetres but thats all. I use a suitable length of inch & half plastic waste pipe cut at an angle & sharpened to peel away any soot onto a bit of paper in the smokebox. A length of sharp bamboo gets the last of it from around the blast pipe & blower.
Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Sun 20 May 2018, 9:00 pm

May be its a compound thing ? I get that it depends on how hard your working the engine but if I dont clean my chimney after every other rally I end up with it totally caked certainly more than a couple of mm, think I posted on here that in my first 6mths or so it got so bad the chimney throat became almost blocked.
I think I hook the chimney off twice a year to clean the throat area out.

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Mon 21 May 2018, 9:16 am

That does sound like the oiler is working too hard! I had that with the agricultural when I first set it up and managed to adjust the amount of oil going in with spacer washers in the pump. It wasn't the STW/Modelworks pump though it was a LSM one. The oil & soot would build up to about 10mm thick over a couple of rallies, stopped the chimney rusting though!
Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Tue 05 Jun 2018, 11:05 pm

Update on the oiler sight glass, when the engine is running and the oiler is full or nearly full the oil around the edge forms a seal which the pump has to draw air in to replace the oil. Not a problem but the sight glass with a pin hole in the top means the oil in the sight glass gets pumped out first (less resistance) so it shows empty all the time! Lifting the lid instantly balances up the oil. Solution (I hope) is a pin hole in the oiler lid equalising the pressure. The next rally will show if it works.
Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14