Thetford Works (Cornwall)

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Thetford Works (Cornwall)

Post  Tony King on Sun 17 Apr 2016, 5:17 am

SUPERB Steve, What a marvellous job You've done with Hercules.. it's a very dramatic engine set up, no wonder it turns heads & get the cameras flashing!!

regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 17 Apr 2016, 11:53 am

Thanks for the kind words, looking forward to Trevithick Day to give the engine a proper run.

Steve Traill

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Road loco on Sun 17 Apr 2016, 12:13 pm

Very nice engine a trailer Steve, when is that show might have to get there with my engine next year

Road loco

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2014-08-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Trevithick Day

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 17 Apr 2016, 12:25 pm

It's always the last Saturday in April, Years ago Trevithick Day was a great day out, over recent years the steam engine parade was good but all the 'tut' down the main street wasn't worth the walk. It's all change this year as the guy who organised (and started) the event is back running it, everyone has high hopes it will get it old flavour back as it was starting to die on it's feet. As there are lots of changes this year I don't know yet what is happening exactly (or where we will be starting from) Hopefully news will come soon!

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Road loco on Sun 17 Apr 2016, 12:31 pm

Ok Steve lets just hope it improves again I wil keep in mind and see what I can do for next year, post some pictures please so we can see what it's like there

Road loco

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2014-08-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Trevithick Day

Post  Steve Traill on Tue 19 Apr 2016, 2:58 pm

Just heard that the format of next Saturday (30th) is all the engines (big & small) will parade through the town (up the main street like they used too) at around 3pm and then trundle off to Carn Brea for the full size & Lowenac Hotel for the miniatures.  Should be good, lots of new stuff going on in the town all day as well.

Hercules blowing off in the sun at the end of the day.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Steering update

Post  Steve Traill on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 4:08 pm

I meant to say before I've adjusted the sprung steering links now down to about 3 - 4 mm of movement on each side which give about half a turn of slack between slightly left & slightly right. Out on the road there is no wander at all and you only have to turn the wheel when you want to turn the axle. Pleased with that. cheers

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Trevithick Day

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 01 May 2016, 9:44 am

All went well at Trevithick Day, engine ran well, had a slight worry for a few hours as I thought one of the bearings was running tight as the engine was sort of chugging all the time. Thought it might loosen up eventually then noticed that after leaving someone else in charge while I went to get some more water they had turned the flywheel brake on slightly instead of the water pump!! Worry over, back to normal ticking over. Went around Camborne in middle wheel which was pretty good, we were following the big engines and rollers & boy were they slow at times. All the humps & bumps in the main street were to blame I expect. Weather was perfect all day, thousands of people packed the streets with cameras popping everywhere.
I guess I know how David Beckham feels now!!

I was so busy enjoying the day I forgot to get the camera out, hopefully over the next few days someone will give me a few pics.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Trevithick Day pics

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 15 May 2016, 2:34 pm

My brother took a few pics of the day, here's the two best ones.
I hung the log off the jib mainly to stop anyone walking into it, I've found at these occasions some people walk one way but are looking somewhere else!

Here's uncle albert in charge, made the little-uns look twice!!

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Trevithick Day pics

Post  chas12154 on Mon 16 May 2016, 6:48 am

Hi Steve, your engine looks superb. Look great in the sunshine. Nice touch with Uncle Albert Very Happy
My engine isn't as good as yours, painting and lining hasn't come out too good, but its the best I can do. And as mine is an agricultural engine, think its ok for a working engine.

Charlie

chas12154

Number of posts : 243
Registration date : 2015-01-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Launceston Rally

Post  Steve Traill on Tue 31 May 2016, 12:52 pm

Had a great weekend with Buzz & Frostie at Launceston, weather was superb, scorching hot but with a cool breeze!
All the engines ran well, the ground was quite soft after a bit of heavy rain earlier in the week.  The DCC really notices the soft ground with the extra weight, out on the tarmac going to the pub was much easier.
Here's a few pics.

Did a little road run to the pub on Monday lunchtime for a well earned refresher.
Two thirds of the line up were from the STW stable
The wagon looks quite good in this pic, just have to decide what to carry in
it that looks the part.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Another mod.

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 26 Jun 2016, 11:43 am

I've noticed that the drip tray on the cylinder block tends to be slow running when full of oil or water.  To remedy this I took off the little drain fitting by heating it up and soldered an old spare oil pot underneath then soldered the original fitting to that.  I then opened up the existing hole by using a 1/4 drive small socket that had a nice taper on it.  I then shortened the pipe by 20mm rather than rebend it.  This should give  the pipe a head of liquid so it will drain more quickly (hopefully!)  I'll say one thing the Road Loco & Showmans are very clean engines compared with the Agricultural.  After a run the Aggie needs a good wipe over but the RL hardly has a smear!

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Boconnoc Rally

Post  Steve Traill on Mon 01 Aug 2016, 3:51 pm

Great weekend at Boconnoc, site nicely laid out with the beer tent & fair a short trundle away.  Weather was perfect all weekend, engine ran spot on all three days, here's a few pics.
Mike had his little Foden "Tommy' running nicely all weekend, he definitely needs a chimney extension though, unless you like the coal miner look!

Time for an ice-cream outside the House

Lining up on  the Saturday night outside the beer tent with the Showmans, Tim's 'Frederick' along side for company!
Lit up at around 9.30 in the morning and kept Hercules in steam until midnight, drove all around the estate during the day.
Both engines ran like clockwork all day, just oil, coal & water needed!

Buzz lent me his light bar which looked good on the motion work when it was going (beer can is there purely for scale purposes!)

Best shot of the weekend,  John Lunt took this for me, it's now my screen saver!  Boconnoc is such a beautiful estate.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 on Tue 02 Aug 2016, 3:30 am

Hi, great pics, your engine look fabulous. Can I ask, does the seat, on the back of the engine, come with the engine?

Charlie

chas12154

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Tue 02 Aug 2016, 7:03 am

Most of it does, I've just made a larger base to sit on the standard frame & fitted a back rest. Also I stepped the foot rests and made a little box to carry odds & ends that fits in the gap in the middle of the main frame.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 on Tue 02 Aug 2016, 7:08 am

Thanks for that. I'm currently building a 2" engine. I'm hoping in the future to build a 4", unsure whether it will be the dcc or the scc.
I guess you need quite a bit of space, I'm finding it a bit cramped in my garage building the 2"!
But as they say, " where there's a will, there's away!

chas12154

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Tue 02 Aug 2016, 8:24 am

Where there's a will there's a relative!

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Tue 02 Aug 2016, 12:15 pm

I always say...Where there is a will there's a dead person. Very Happy

Looks Great though Steve, You must be very pleased.

Robfishman

Number of posts : 947
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

A few mods

Post  Steve Traill on Fri 26 Aug 2016, 1:19 pm

Since steaming the Hercules recently at several rallies I have fitted a much stronger spring to the starter valve.  I was finding that when going slowly and backing off the regulator it was pushing open the starting valve making me go faster!!  It had a very light spring & it took me a while to figure out what was happening.  Now with the stronger spring it requires a very positive pressure to open it.
Also the roof was bugging me by not looking level & being too high (again)  I know crane engines usually had a slightly higher roof so the driver can see the top of the jib.  Taking some more measurements I have dropped the front down by 60mm & the back by 20mm.  It is now level with the ground as apposed to following the boiler line.  Time will tell (with a pint in my hand) whether I like it!!

Also the traction wagon has seen some spanner action, went to move it to take to a rally and the springs fell out of the hangers at the back (this time) so have drilled and riveted holding straps to the fifth leaf down.  It has worked on the front and now works on the back.

The other thing I didn't like was the way the brake assembly just dangled on a chain link.  It seemed to wobble about and it was too easy to bend the threaded shaft that winds it on.  To stiffen the whole thing up I used four pieces of thin 25mm flat bar, clamped either side of the existing eyebolts with a bit of rubber tube between the M6 bolt and the eyebolt.  This allows some movement fore & aft and helps keep the threaded drive rod straight.

It's now ready for some mileage!

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Fri 26 Aug 2016, 1:39 pm

Looking good.

I also have a "R" clip through the brake handles as both my wagons would randomly wind on the brakes as they are so free running. Due to road vibration.

lynnr

Number of posts : 2716
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 5:40 am

Hi Steve
what does the plate say on the front of your wagon?
thanks Mark

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2015-04-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 6:54 am

Hercules. If I remember correctly.

lynnr

Number of posts : 2716
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

A experiment!

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 10:09 am

I was chatting to someone at a rally recently and they said that fitting a sacrificial anode to the inside of the boiler will stop/reduce corrosion.  Sounded plausible so I looked on ebay and bought a long thin sacrificial anode for a water heater.  Threw the plug away and turned it down to fit on an M6 thread on a couple of the wash out plugs.  I would like to have put one nearer the tubes but can't think of a way of putting them there without just chucking it through the hole in the smoke box & hope for the best.  At least on the foundation ring I can remove them and any bits when the corrode away.  I have turned them down to 13 mm diameter, they are different lengths simply as I allowed more wastage then necessary.  Next time I will make them equal lengths.  Only cost a tenner so worth a shot if it makes the tubes last longer.  If anyone has any info on why everyone doesn't do this I'd be interested.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

GDSF

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 10:20 am

Had to put this pic up, great show this year and on the Monday the playpen was full of engines driving round including quite a few of the showman's engines.  I was on Tim's engine (Frederick) for the last few days and it really is a nice engine to drive.  The pic shows us just taking in the show, never seen so much action at one time before, should have videoed some of it, you always think of things like that after the event!
The picture was taken by Jan Huigen from Holland, many thanks to Jan.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Morwellham Quay weekend

Post  Steve Traill on Mon 19 Sep 2016, 12:42 pm

Here's a couple of pics of this weekend at Morwellham Quay, engine ran smoothly all weekend carrying the cylinder block on the hook.  Very relaxed weekend in a beautiful setting, weather was perfect (makes a change!) roads are mainly level (ish) like stepping back 100 years.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:11 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top