Thetford Works (Cornwall)

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Thetford Works (Cornwall)

Post  Steve Traill on Tue 29 Dec 2015, 12:14 pm

Wheels all done ready for priming, chassis for the trailer glued & screwed.  It's very satisfying building wheels, they go together so well

The wood was superbly machined, just a light sanding & take the sharp edges off and it went together spot on.

Steve Traill

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Road loco on Wed 30 Dec 2015, 11:12 am

All looking good Steve well done, happy new year to you

Road loco

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2014-08-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New Year

Post  Steve Traill on Thu 31 Dec 2015, 3:24 am

A happy New Year to all the fellow builders out there tinkering in their tool sheds. Looking forward to getting 'Hercules' out on the road this year now the engine is running nicely. Let's hope the rallies are blessed with good weather as it makes such a difference. With all the rain we've been having this last few weeks we should be due a dry spell next year.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Road loco on Thu 31 Dec 2015, 4:54 am

Let's just hope like u say the weather is good we could do with it 😃
Sorry to ask on this page Steve but do u do any work on engines for other people or do u no anyone who wil, all it is my engine is near on complete but I would like someone to finish the last little bits off and check through what I've done, my dad was helping lots with my engine and he is getting older and to tired now and don't seem to have the up and go like he use to and I really don't get the time, many thanx mike

Road loco

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Fri 01 Jan 2016, 10:17 am

Hi Mike
Afraid that I'm lucky to get the odd hour out in the workshop these days, life is pretty full, I notice that Lynn is looking for a project, she knows a lot about these engines so would be ideal for finishing off your engine. Scotland is not that far really!

Happy New Year

Steve

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Lining wheels

Post  Steve Traill on Mon 04 Jan 2016, 11:30 am

Just finished lining the wheels with the beugler wheel, I had a problem with getting masking tape to stick to the vulcanised rubber tyres.  It was a bit of a problem with the STW wheels but I did manage to get it to stick long enough for spraying.  With the trailer wheels Leakes had put the tyres on and I have several types of masking tape (all quite sticky) and they just fell off within a few seconds.  I tried degreasing the tyres with white spirit & gun wash and that just seemed to make it worse!  In the end the only thing I found would stick is black duck tape 2" wide.  I put it on in straight lengths and ran a stanley blade around the rim so the tape wasn't stressed into trying to be a curve.  Then I got masking tape to cover the top of the tyre. That stuck like the 'proverbial' but I think it will be a g*t to get off, still cross that bridge when I get to it!

The other thing I did with building the trailer was use B&Q brick & patio cleaner as recommended earlier on the forum for removing mill scale. What a result that was, I can't believe how many hours I've spent removing mill scale with flap wheels. I got an old baking tray, poured in the brick cleaner, dropped the spokes in, stirred then around a bit & left for 45 minutes. All the mill scale just disappears and if there is a trace left it just rubs off with your finger leaving bright shiny metal. A quick flip on the flap wheel & its shiny bright. AMAZING! The other plus is it seems to dissolve rust as well as I did the spring leaves and they were pretty rusty with mill scale on. All came out clean & bright and even after rinsing in cold water they didn't seem to go rusty like I thought they would but stayed bright until I dried & deburred them. When finished I let the acid settle & poured it back in the container leaving the mill scale sludge behind.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Mon 18 Jan 2016, 3:49 pm

Wheels all done, painting the fiddley bits now. brackets & springs etc.

Uncle Albert came down to check the engine over!

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Tue 19 Jan 2016, 1:26 am

Been looking at your wagon wheels again. The rubbers look very thick compared to mine. also my fronts had to go back for grinding as were too thick and snagged the underside of the wagon.

lynnr

Number of posts : 2716
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Tue 19 Jan 2016, 2:37 am

Looks like You're heading for best in show cart there Steve.. Very impressive!

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Tue 19 Jan 2016, 3:43 am

Thanks for the heads up on the tyre thickness, I'll make them fit somehow!

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 31 Jan 2016, 2:41 pm

Have been painting some of the fittings & preparing the sides ready to fit on the trailer.  I was looking for the details of who did my nickel plating when I found this picture.
Professor Tim valiantly getting 'Madelaine' to the STW stand with Steve B bringing up the rear.  They could have done with some of that mud on the WW1 display!

Oh the joys of Dorset!! what will the weather hold this year I wonder?

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Mon 01 Feb 2016, 7:13 am

Happy memories Steve! The engine was actually the only steamer to move on the Wednesday at Dorset in 2012 as it was going to the launch of the Steam Apprentice's project by the NTET tent.

Going down the hill wasn't too much of a problem, climbing back up wasn't either, but we had six people pushing. Once at the top, the mud was washed off quickly using a caravan pump and hose form a bucket: otherwise I suspect the set cement would still be there! Max had the right idea and stayed on the engine!

Tim

Tim Watson

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 6:03 am

That really is a brilliant picture Steve....Well done for sharing it!

Tim is made of sterner stuff than I'll ever be, taking on all that mud!!!...Awesome!!

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 3:13 pm

The Agricultural is a great little engine and now the crane engine is running nice I'm looking forward to driving that one mainly this year. I can see a problem next year in choosing which engine to take to rallies though. I can't drive both!

It's a bit like having to choose to leave behind one of your children!!

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Road loco on Wed 03 Feb 2016, 1:53 pm

Nice picture Steve, pictures like this bring back different memories for people, here is a question for u, being new to miniature steam engines out of your 2 engines what would be the easier engine to run? Mike

Road loco

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Wed 03 Feb 2016, 2:15 pm

The agricultural is a much easier engine to run, especially on a busy rally field with lots of people & kids to drive through. On the road it would be the Road Loco as it's more long legged and has a bit more power.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Wed 03 Feb 2016, 3:46 pm

I agree with Steve but the RL, being bigger, requires less attendance to the fire and water. It is significantly more economical in coal and water and has the major advantage of being a two man engine - much more sociable. The SRL has long legs, is majestic and needs space; the agricultural is nippy and nimble.

Tim

Tim Watson

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Free Spray Shop

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 13 Mar 2016, 4:49 pm

I'm re-arranging the mini industrial estate at the end of my garden! and the caravan I have rigged out as a spray shop has to go. If anyone is interested in having a caravan as spray shop then get in touch. I will be putting the wheels back on and pulling it out of it's present position. It has a standard tow hitch, galvanised chassis, 18' long and is basically one big insulated box ideal for getting warm quickly and spraying in. I will be removing the extractor. It's not pretty but practical and anyone building an engine would find it useful.

If no-one wants it then it'll go to the scrapyard in about 10 days time

Don't forget it's FREE!!

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Traction Wagon finished

Post  Steve Traill on Fri 25 Mar 2016, 2:36 pm

Finished building the wagon, just the number plate & lamp to fit at the back.  I was going to paint the sides in Crimson Lake but have decided to leave it  as it is.  First pic shows the underneath after it was varnished.

The wood finish is done with an ebony wood varnish that is just slapped on them removed with a bit of towelling to leave the woodgrain showing.  When it's dry a coat of satin varnish finishes it off.

As I've got quite thick tyres on it I made an 18mm spacer to lift the body of the wagon the difference in the tyre thickness to give enough clearance.
I've got to make some bump stops for the springs though as they will be too low down.  I think the brake wheel is on the wrong side, I got confused making it upside down!  Don't see that it's too important though, it was an export model!!

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Fri 25 Mar 2016, 2:39 pm

The standard tyre depth needed spacers to stop the wheels binding on the underside with anything other than the lightest of child in them. So your spacers might need an extra 10 to 15mm more.

Looking good there.

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Fri 25 Mar 2016, 4:02 pm

The wagon is quite softly sprung, I'll just make up bump stops to ensure the tyres don't hit the frame & it can ride on them if fully loaded.

Bit like an old Land Rover, it can carry 3/4 ton until it hits the bump stops, then it'll carry whatever you can fit in/on it!!

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

SOFT SPRINGS

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 03 Apr 2016, 9:13 am

On little problem I had when I thought I'd finished the wagon was I went to lift the front up to move it around in the workshop and the front axle fell out of the hangers!  The springs are very soft and the weight of the axle is enough to bend them out of the hangers which then means the pin has to be removed to get them back in, just what you want in the long grass at a rally field!  I tried moving the rear hanger closer to the front one which helped a bit but it still dropped enough for the second leaf to jam the wrong side of the pin.  Thinking about old leaf sprung cars I've had in the past they always had clips to hold the leafs together but allow them to flex.  I tried this firstly by bending a bit of aluminium around the five largest leaves to hold them together, it worked!  The ally looked horrible but proved the concept, I then looked around for something from the scrap bin to make the clips.  A bit of brushed stainless steel caught my eye so I used that.  I found some short rivets with a flat head, then the problem of drilling spring steel.  I have a set of those drill anything drills one sees at Dorset & other shows.  I thought here's a good test, put a 5mm drill in the pillar drill and managed to drill four holes before the drill mushroomed out.  The steel is definitely spring steel as it's very hard to drill but those drill anything drills did it (just).  I cut four little straps & riveted them onto the end of the fifth leaf.  Assembled then spring and wrapped the strap around it.  Put it all back together and no more dropped axle.  For some reason, that I haven't quite fathomed yet, the rear fixed axle doesn't do this yet the springs are all the same.  One of lives little mysteries no doubt.  By the way anyone building one of these trailers the springs are hand made and come as a set, don't mix them up when taking them apart for painting as it's a pain matching them all up again     Here's a couple of pics.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster on Sun 03 Apr 2016, 10:08 am

I had the same problem but only on the rear springs, not fixed yet I may fit some restricter chains or maybe Steves solution.
Thanks Steve
Kev

Kevster

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2011-01-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Sun 03 Apr 2016, 10:49 am

On the fronts I have done nothing and one wagon the rears are as per STW. As long as I lift slowly they actually stay put. I only ever lift one wagon to double stack when in Crystals bedroom. Never need to lift when out at rally as on the trailer they park line astern.

So really it is not a big problem unless you really need to stack them all the time.

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Nice Day

Post  Steve Traill on Sat 16 Apr 2016, 12:50 pm

The sun was shining so decided to take 'Hercules' out for a run around the village, certainly gets peoples cameras out!  managed to get rid of the annoying rattle of the bottom of the roof legs, I fitted a couple of 'O' rings to the bottom of each one, no rattle!

Hercules behaved perfectly, I'm getting used to driving this engine now, (very different to the aggi) went up & down some reasonably steep hills with no problems.

One problem I did have was that before I could connect up the wagon I had to make a little extension piece so that when I went round a corner I didn't wipe out my seat.  The draw bar on the wagon is very short and with my seat being a little deeper there was no clearance.  Easy done though.

Overall the best day yet with the engine!

One of the engines I built a couple of years ago, and sold locally, has just been painted ( sort of).  It looks really good, I think it's from a photo as the name & flywheel are reversed.  Whoever did it should do well, here it is.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:44 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top