Thetford Works (Cornwall)

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Other stuff

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 26 Oct 2014, 3:36 pm

Here's a picture of my crane engines roof with cut out, the sliding hatch in in the background.

Steve Traill

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

More stuff!

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 26 Oct 2014, 3:43 pm

Floor boards in the manstand, can you see how they fit in there?

Young Michael looking after my engine at The Bodmin & Wenford Steam & Ale weekend,

It's important to keep everything well oiled! including ourselves. (Photo taken from the local paper)

Apple day at Kehelland, great day, gave lots of rides to the kids.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Thetford Works (Cornwall)

Post  Tony King on Mon 27 Oct 2014, 12:26 am

Superb set of pictures Steve, one hell of an achievement... Not many people could do what you have done, so many hours spent on engines that are not yours, bet that was very hard!!
Very well done!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Road Loco roof

Post  Steve Traill on Mon 27 Oct 2014, 4:56 am

Because I'm building my engine as a crane engine, and they usually have a slightly higher roof so the driver can see the top of the jib, I have hinged it on it's front legs & put a sliding hatch in it.  The hatch is a piece of 2mm ally rolled to the curve of the roof with the cloth epoxy resined to it to match the texture of the main roof.  I used the rear cross braces as front leg supports to stiffen the whole structure up.  It all worked out better than I expected.  Here's some pics:

Roof closed

Hatch open

In the raised position for oiling up.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Mon 27 Oct 2014, 11:14 am

Looks good Steve, saves putting it on the grass/mud/beach etc..and getting bits of the ground in the holes the supports go in - always have to watch for things sticking to the supports of Blackbeard. By the way, please wear a crash helmet when oiling up as the rear rods look like they will do you a serious injury if you get distracted whilst oiling up.

Will you be running the crane engine at Boconnoc next year? Reason I ask is that we have booked our holidays in St Ives and will rent a house instead of taking the caravan which means I was going to try and get Blackbeard into the rally and potentially be the furthest engine travelled to the event.

bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2010-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Boconnoc

Post  Steve Traill on Mon 27 Oct 2014, 1:19 pm

Always go to Boconnoc, best rally in the Cornish calendar.  Hurcules should be ready by then!

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Road loco on Mon 27 Oct 2014, 2:39 pm

Well done Steve, I seen deans engine at dorset and u done a really good job, and I bet the crane engine will be just as good, I really like how u have done the roof, so well done to making 2 great engines
Mike

Road loco

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2014-08-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Next year

Post  Steve Traill on Mon 27 Oct 2014, 4:33 pm

Thanks for the kind words, anyone wanting to go to Boconnoc should give Eric Hawkins a ring on 07768 737349. I'm sure he will be pleased to see new engines at the show, space is getting a bit limited now as we had about 25 miniature engines there this year but having said that there is plenty of space under the trees.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Wed 29 Oct 2014, 12:21 am

Hi Steve,
Going back a bit in your picture thread, are those lovely floor boards hinged in the middle in the man stand?... Such a close fit all round the edges!!

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Wed 29 Oct 2014, 5:25 am

Steve

I just noticed that the kids in the photo at Kehelland seem to be on purpose built seats in your trailer, is this the case and if they are could you post a picture of the seat and some details of construction? I need something for the traction wagons.

Cheers

Brian

bjwlancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Manstand

Post  Steve Traill on Wed 29 Oct 2014, 3:42 pm

The floorboards are hinged down the centre so they fold up to 90 degrees to get them in.   When I first made them I was disappointed to find that I would then have to cut so much off to fit them in.  Fitting hinges down the centre line meant there was no gaps.
The seats I made up a couple of years ago to give children's rides, they were just made from what I had lying around.  18mm ply, copper pipe (22mm) ally strip & some black vinyl.
I'll dig them out & post some pics tomorrow.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Traction Wagon seats

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 02 Nov 2014, 1:10 pm

Here's some pics of the two seats I made to give childrens rides, firstly they stack so they don't take up too much room.  The arm rests mean they can sit three abreast & have something to hang on too.  The base board runs past the back rest so if they lean back it doesn't tip back.  It's all done from 18mm ply & 2'x2'par cut to the angle req'd.  The front seat needs cable tieing in the middle, I fitted a couple of metal loops to the sides so that it doesn't keep sliding back, the back one stays put ok.

Here's what the latest tinkering has produced, the drive for the winch for the crane engine is complete now, it all fitted (just) I had to reduce the diameter of the drive shaft as it comes out of the bush (the old water pump bush actually!) to get the flywheel in nice & close.  If you look at 'Old Tim' (the engine!) you will see it all fits in pretty tight.  The gear wheels are from the diff of the agricultural engine kindly supplied by STW.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Sun 02 Nov 2014, 3:21 pm

Hi Steve,

Can you post a couple of photos of the whole crane engine, tis coming on really well, so would love to see the it in it's entirety!!

regards,
Tony

Tony King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Fri 07 Nov 2014, 9:27 am

Nice work Steve, even the seats look professional. I am thinking of making mine deeper to provide space for a leisure battery on each wagon for a lighting solution I am planning. Also higher seating would mean not as stretched out on the traction wagons which as you pointed out are a little shorter than the agricultural wagon. I already have the battery space in the scale living van that is back together since we used the base as a riding truck for the last 18 months. We did a road train of all tree wagons plus bowser last week at night and it looked pretty good and it all followed very nicely too. .

I have to reiterate Tony's request for a picture of the complete engine, it is looking really good.

bjwlancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Milestones!

Post  Steve Traill on Fri 07 Nov 2014, 1:58 pm

Tonight is the first time 'Hercules' has been on it's own wheels, the block of wood has been removed from under the boiler and the ashcan fitted.  The roof turned out a bit higher than planned, I raised it 100mm and I'll probably drop it down 25mm.  It looks a bit too high in the photo's.

Here you can see Tim's patented remote regulated device,  I only have to pay him £100 a year for the licence to use it!

Ready for oiling up

This shows the drive to the winch (which is next to build)

I have to say that everyone at STW have really pulled the stops out in producing this kit. Apart from the roof being too high!!(my fault) it looks right from every angle, really looking forward to steaming it next year.

Unfortunately due to family reasons I won't be building any more engines so 'Thetford Works (Cornwall) will be on a 'care & maintenance' programme only.

Just for the record in the last 5 years I have built two 4" agricultural Burrells, a 4" Showmans, my crane engine from a 4"Road Loco, a traction wagon and a water bowser. In total 123 kits which means I've averaged two kits a month for 5 years! This on top of holding down a full time job for most of that 5 years. If it wasn't for my photo on the mantlepiece the wife wouldn't recognise me! I need a break & Annette wants to see the bloke she married 30 odd years ago a bit more.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:48 pm

Steve

Apart from the roof height your engine is looking superb, a Burrell does need the roof nice and low to look good.you have done some serious building in recent years and the work you produced is a real credit to you.

BTW I have been in contact with Eric at Boconnoc and I am in for 2015 so really looking forward to my Corniche holiday now.

bjwlancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Boconnoc

Post  Steve Traill on Thu 20 Nov 2014, 2:01 pm

Good news about Boconnoc, look forward to seeing you there. I have lowered the roof 30mm and am finishing off the seat. I have used the bones of the STW seat but made it bigger with a back rest. Paint is drying at the moment, pics to follow.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Road Loco seat

Post  Steve Traill on Fri 21 Nov 2014, 7:56 am

Here's some pictures of the completed seat & very comfortable it is too (for a 6 footer anyway).  Note the dog leg foot rest and the roof has been lowered 30mm from previous pictures.  It is now 70mm higher than standard.

The back lifts off and the seat is held in place with one wing nut for easy packing away.

Here's the underneath which was the standard double seat, it's now 2" wider & 3" deeper.

This is a little mod to put some strength where it's needed.  I extended the fold each side to catch on the curve of the sides of the tender rather than just the back panel.

Sliding roof closed.  I used a Japanese pull saw to do the cuts, it has such a fine cut you only loose about half a millimetre of wood with the cut.

Sliding roof open but the pointy bits were irritating when looking forward

Ahh, that's better!  The folding section is held either down or up by recessed permenant magnets

I've turned the engine around in the workshop as all the front has to come off to fit the Showmans smokebox, winch drum & jib cables

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Sun 23 Nov 2014, 12:30 am

Looks very impressive and comfortable Steve: I look forward to trying it out. All the bumps and potholes on the NTET road run clearly made an impression on you!

Tim

Tim Watson

Number of posts : 531
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

NTET run

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 23 Nov 2014, 1:53 pm

What I was most impressed with on the run was:
How quickly it went along the route, 30 miles in five hours!
How little coal it used and how easy it was to keep at 160psi for five hours
How clean it was after the run when we took photo's with the house as a backdrop
The brake wheel was really positive in its action.

All the front is off on Hercules now and I've started with the winch brackets for the front, this shows the timber lagging.

This is what it will look like (eventually)

The metal gearbox in the foreground is what I will be using as a reduction gear (32:1) on the winch drum, it's in it's own oil bath and there
is no chance of it back feeding & dropping the load on the hook!  The copper rivets on the chimney base self destruct if you remove them, I'm going to use SS bolts with the heads rounded off to look like rivets.  When I fit them I will heat them up to a cherry red, drop them in the slot & beat the heads to fit the base with the rivet dolly.  It should be stronger, the number of people on the rally field who offer to give you a push & then grab the top of the chimney (when it's cold) & I'm thinking how strong are copper rivets!!

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

January update

Post  Steve Traill on Fri 09 Jan 2015, 3:05 pm

Have been working on the winch drum supports and the lights.  Using a stop tail light bulb I get side lights & main beam.
That's main beam

That's side lights

Got to paint the wiring yet, it's heat resistant just to be on the safe side.

This shows the gearbox with a battery in it to run the lights (also the gearbox for the winch drum when I get it) (32 : 1 reduction)

The jib is due to go back on this weekend & then I have to make the jib stays back to the horn plates.  The winch drum was too
big for my lathe so that is being made locally.  Looking forward to it's first steaming.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Let there be light

Post  Tim Watson on Fri 09 Jan 2015, 11:13 pm

The lights look very neat and effective Steve. Especially like the neat wiring.

Tim

Tim Watson

Number of posts : 531
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wiring

Post  Steve Traill on Sat 10 Jan 2015, 12:05 am

The wiring is all in 8mm copper pipe to protect it from heat & damage. It was a right fiddle to be honest but I'm pleased with the overall effect.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Sat 10 Jan 2015, 2:31 am

Truly remarkable Steve. Very rare engine at 4" scale, if not unique!! ... I've never seen another!!

Very fitting, as a last engine from "Thetford Works" (Cornwall) Sad

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

One off

Post  Steve Traill on Sat 10 Jan 2015, 6:29 am

Unless someone else uses a STW Road Loco I guess it will remain unique, I have seen a couple of 4" Burrell crane engines built from the LSM design which is the slightly smaller engine. I researched the crane engines that Burrell produced and they only made DCC crane engines and most had the 6'6" wheels however 5 engines with the 7' wheels were made and exported to South Africa to work in the mines, all have been scrapped. I have taken the engine number from one of the South African engines for mine. I have used photo's & drawings from several engines to modify the Road Loco, mainly 'Old Tim' though. As no two Burrells were ever built identical I hope I have got away with a good likeness.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:21 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top