Thetford Works (Cornwall)

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Thetford Works (Cornwall)

Post  bjwlancashire on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 5:01 am

Wonderful looking engines now Steve, great progress too. Enough to wake Dean up from his slumber.

I now noticed how your water pump is driven from the crankshaft between the eccentric trap and the crank web, did you use the same eccentric that came with the kit but bored out to fit the crank? the will fill the boiler quickly if it is doing the same throw at twice the speed it was intended.

I will call you ref the PM.

bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2010-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Fri 07 Mar 2014, 1:05 pm

When I bored out the waterpump eccentric I modified the throw to go from 20mm to 12mm, so just over half the volume but it's running at twice the speed.  I didn't go to 10mm in case it wasn't enough & wouldn't pick up from the tender.  The tricky bit was cutting & joining the connecting rod,  I measured how long it should be, allowed a little end float (didn't want it hitting the end of the pump!) and then did an angled cut across the bar to increase the length of the welded joint and also to make the taper effect line up better.  In fact when it was welded it needed very little fettling to make it look like it was always like that.

On my agricultural engine I'm still on my original cast iron grate and it still looks pretty good after 8 years of steaming.  Maybe it's because I took the precaution of buying a spare at the time under the theory that if you have a spare you'll never need it!  Anyway I do like to keep an even fire and to do this I give it a good healthy poke at regular intervals.  When I built the showroom engine & the other one they had the steel bar grate and (only once) whilst giving a good poke I accidentally lifted up a fire bar & half the fire then continued to burn in the ash pan.  This was a B nuisance & got to thinking how to stop this happening on my crane engine.  The RL / Showmans has a big ashpan so wont get clogged up so easily as the single cylinder & I wanted to put something across the top of the bars to stop them lifting out accidentally.  If I had threaded a hole in the bar supports, being a fairly hostile environment by the time I wanted to change it the bolts/threads would more than likely have seized up & the heads just twist off.  I pondered this for a while then decided to hold the bar in place with sacrificial split pins,  when the time comes just snip then off & replace.  Here's a photo, I used round SS bar simply because that was all I could find in my bits corner and thinking about it the round bar will offer minimal friction to allow the firebars to expand & contract & it wont rust. The other reason is that when cleaning the ashpan out at the end of the day I like to give it a good bang against the (usually) skip in the rally field to get all the ash out. With loose firebars they all fall out & you then have to pick then up out of the hot ash.

Spot the difference,  which one is plated & which one is polished steel?

ok the second one is plated

Steve Traill

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Fri 07 Mar 2014, 10:18 pm

Looking very excellent.

Noticed friction material on brake blocks. Where did you get it?

lynnr

Number of posts : 2716
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Fri 07 Mar 2014, 11:41 pm

Looking excellent Steve. I tend to find that the ashpan fills up quicker with 'Frederick' than it did with 'Madeline'. I may, eventually, fit an opening door on the underside to make it easier to drop the ash. On the TT site someone had the clever idea of a horizontal disc opening up by rotating: a bit like a lock cover on a door, and easy to open and close. Our original idea (discussed over some Cornish wine) of two 'bomb bay' doors also has virtue by reducing the risk of ash falling in the wheels (especially when they're bright yellow!).

Tim

Tim Watson

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero on Sat 08 Mar 2014, 2:52 am

The drop-flap I put on my Savage worked Ok, it spanned across between the grate legs and was hinged at the front. The latch had two locking points and never failed in use. The problem with the DCC grate is the length, would there be enough angle when it hit the ground for the ash to slide off. A side hung flap may clear the ground but is going to be more of a pain to get latched back up.

Mike

mikero

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2011-07-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Sat 08 Mar 2014, 6:34 am

Spot the difference, which one is plated & which one is polished steel?

Thats easy, just wait a few weeks in the liquid sunshine we have throughout our lovely summer and the steel one will have a nice rusty sheen to it, especially as it will get forgotten to oil it.  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Brake blocks

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 09 Mar 2014, 10:55 am

The friction material was supplied by STW & is unaffected by grease & oil.  I have it on the Agricultural Burrell & it's brilliant, half a turn on the brake wheel between fully on & off.
I was thinking about putting a hole in the Ashpan, Tim & I discussed bomb bay doors but seeing the circular sliding door looked good & was simple.  Thinking about it the hole doesn't need to be very big, just big enough to rake the ash into, probably 4'' diameter would be sufficient.  A job for later on methinks.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Sun 09 Mar 2014, 5:13 pm

Steve

Does the friction material wear away much. I only ask because I see you have fixed it with small nails from what I can see and they will eventually touch the wheel rim. How long has it lasted on your agricultural engine. With some steep hills negotiate when were out I think I will put some on wheel the engine is still up on blocks making wheel removal simple.

Cheers

Brian

bjwlancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Mon 10 Mar 2014, 2:23 am

I fitted the brake lining material to my rear wheels. It makes the wheel brake very responsive and seriously useful - engine braking in high wheel isn't that effective. It is quite a thick pad, so I used small brass counter sunk screws well recessed, also bonding the pad with JB weld. It doesn't show signs of wear, but I haven't done a huge number of road miles - yet.

Tim

Tim Watson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:19 am

Thanks Tim, time for another call to Steve, I think it would help if I do take part in that May road trip in the Derbyshire hills.

bjwlancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Fixing the linings

Post  Steve Traill on Mon 10 Mar 2014, 5:13 am

On the full size engines the same brake lining material is fixed with brass screws & epoxy. I used an epoxy adhesive and brass panel pins, they are punched in slightly but in reality if they touch the steel rim they will come off worst. They provide some lateral strength with the adhesive providing the main bond. The wear is minimal, when you think of the of how long brake linings last in a full sized vehicle & the speeds that they do, our little engines put a very light load on them.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iain on Mon 10 Mar 2014, 7:53 am

Although i have had mine smoking on the fowler roller going down a long hill! bit or water sorted it out but you can soon put some heat into them!  Very Happy 

iain

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2012-09-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

May 2014 update

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 18 May 2014, 11:55 am

Many fiddley bits this month, have fitted everything up to kit 25 & have just opened kit 26, not many left now!

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Sun 18 May 2014, 12:03 pm

Fabulous.

lynnr

Number of posts : 2716
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 18 May 2014, 2:13 pm

Thanks, I'm hoping to get the back end finished & on it's wheels soon so I can concentrate on the front end then.  I think there is three times as much work in these engines compared to the agricultural engines.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Mon 19 May 2014, 12:11 am

As Lynn says "fabulous"!!  So much work!!  
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Another ashpan mod

Post  Steve Traill on Fri 30 May 2014, 1:26 pm

I find that after steaming for more than 4 hours the ashpan needs a clean out which usually involves raking the ash forwards & out of the damper flap.  This is usually then caught by the slightest breeze & blown all over the engine! great ....... so how to drop the ash without it being blown about.  Modelworks engines had a hinged flap in the middle of the ashpan however it jamed easily & was difficult to use when hot (wasn't easy to use when cold either!)  I thought of some sort of 'bomb bay' doors but gave up on that as I couldn't think of a simple way of keeping them shut.  I then thought of a sliding door, played around with cardboard & scissors & below is the results.  I've photographed it before painting so it's easier to see the shape, it's now all black.  I used 3mm stainless steel & it is opened & closed with the poker through the wheel, easy peasy.  A saucepan is placed under the hole, pull the lever, bit of a rake about through the damper & another 4 hours steaming ready to go.  That's the theory anyway!!

Closed

Open

The other side, had to use a grinder to cut the hole, my metal cutting jigsaw blades just wouldn't touch the stainless steel.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

July 2014 update

Post  Steve Traill on Wed 09 Jul 2014, 7:09 am

Here's a few pics of the Deans Showmans to date, looking to bring it to Dorset finished so have my work cut out!  Hoping to steam the engine in two weeks time, actually it would steam now but waiting to do the regulator mod first.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Wed 09 Jul 2014, 8:48 am

That really is looking the business, Dean must be delighted... You are talking about getting it ready for this years GDSF I assume!!!.... That's still a lot of work on your hands!!  Shocked Very Happy 

Keep the pictures coming, that's a beautiful engine & will give others "inspiration"!!

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Wed 09 Jul 2014, 9:16 am

Look forward to putting a match to it in a few days time. Looks very elegant.

Tim

Tim Watson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero on Wed 09 Jul 2014, 1:13 pm

I hope the globe valves we were looking at hold up. It would be a shame if such a loverly engine had an achilles heel.

Mike

mikero

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2011-07-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World on Thu 10 Jul 2014, 4:02 am

OMG!!!!!!!

Not very often i'm lost for words!!

Did trying calling you earlier Steve after seeing the pictures for the first time and it went straight to answer phone. Probably a good job though as i was a dribbling mess with excitement and i doubt you'd have got a word of sense out of me.

Looks AMAZING!!!  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

Dean

P.S. I've been in a really bad mood all day and seeing this has put a huge smile on my face. Cheers.

Steam Traction World

Number of posts : 886
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Thu 10 Jul 2014, 1:39 pm

Hi Dean, have been working on a roof at St Agnes & there's no phone signal there! Glad you like it, pleased it's finally coming together.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

October update

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 26 Oct 2014, 3:19 pm

It's been a busy few months, mainly completing Deans engine, see below:

Here it is having it's cylinder block changed.

Roof frame in position, it all fits well.

lights all working!

Painting the tricky bits before the planks go on.

The cloth is on.

All the fittings in place

My favourite shot of the engine!

Finished & ready for Dorset.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Showmans at Dorset

Post  Steve Traill on Sun 26 Oct 2014, 3:26 pm

On the STW stand.

A rare shot of some grass at Dorset this year!

The battery terminals are so we could demonstrate the lights with a car battery.

Steve Traill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:05 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top