new on forum

View previous topic View next topic Go down

new on forum

Post  roel rasker on Wed 15 Sep 2010, 1:33 pm

hello,

After visiting steamfairs for many years i also bought a Lykamobile kit. This week i received the first kits. I am really impressed by the high quality of the various parts. It is great fun to build.

can anyone tell me how long you can drive on a full watertank and/or dieseltank and /or battery ?

Nice to see that the STW team is making improvements and keeps us informed by this forum.

best regards,

Roel
( the Netherlands )

roel rasker

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-09-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new on forum

Post  craig@STW on Thu 16 Sep 2010, 12:04 am

hello Roel, and welcome

dean and steve are the best people to tell you about the mileage you can get from the car. im sure they had plenty of experience on the LEJOG run.

glad you like the forum, we are trying Cool

craig@STW

Number of posts : 1194
Registration date : 2010-05-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re New on Forum

Post  TB on Thu 16 Sep 2010, 12:46 am

Hi Roel, welcome to the forum.
Having driven a Likamobile for several hundred miles, I have found the following concerning fuel, water etc, consumption:-
Water--working out at about 1 gallon a mile, so the range is about 10 miles on full tanks. However, you will only get this on fairly long runs as the efficiency goes up when the whole system is hot.
Fuel--depends a little on which fuel: I use central heating oil (no tax) and I have to use a slightly larger nozzle size, so it uses a bit more of a cheaper fuel (also I can raid the domestic c/h tank). Works out at about 8 to 10 miles a gallon, so range can be up to 50 miles.
Battery--I use each battery singly with a change over switch as I don't trust myself not to run the battery system out and get stranded,--I once get a tow back home from the local postman. However I suspect that running the batteries together in parallel gives the batteries more endurance as they are running at a more efficient discharge rate. Say around 8 to 10 hours endurance.
So, in general, I get more running time when using it on the road for longer trips than on the rally field with a lot of stop/starting.
Good luck with your Lyka.
TB
ps:- being a light vehiclea lot of this depends on the weight carried and the terrain, hills etc putting up the consumption.

TB

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-06-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roel rasker on Thu 16 Sep 2010, 11:11 am

ok thanks.
roel

roel rasker

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-09-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dave granger on Thu 23 Sep 2010, 7:19 am

Roel,
My car must be very different to TB's, I'm sure I hold about 20 gallons of water when full, giving me an 18 to 20 miles range, so we are agreed on the 1 mile to the gallon consumption.
When touring with mine through areas of unknown water availability, I carry a little 12v bilge pump and a rolled-up flat hose, making every wet ditch, stream or river a water source. I have a picture of mine parked on a bridge in Scotland filling-up from the stream below where the rise involved must be 12 feet plus !

Dave Granger

dave granger

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-06-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:25 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top