Gear cog strap not fit

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gear cog strap not fit

Post  hughb on Mon 25 Jan 2010, 6:09 am

Hi all

I have now got back from STW .. I went as I have busted my glass tube??? But also I have found out that the straps do not fit . Thay are about 3mm short here is a pic for you

Steve is now going to see if thay can get some more.
I also said about the tube plug in the front of the boiler.It is the best way to get water in from the start.But the plug is a big for the space.Pic

Now one thing for me is that some of you have put water in .Is this were you put it in ????

Good luck and good steming

hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gear cog strap not fit

Post  northburrell on Mon 25 Jan 2010, 6:33 am

Hi Hugh..

I notice that the gear change selectors (the brass bits) dont sit fully down into the slot in the gear meaning they are raised slightly. this could be the problem here with the straps being too short.. I found this out as i fitted them with my crank loose and found when I pushed them down flush my crank would pop up and move towards the fire box.. either the holes for the selectors or the selectors have been made wrong..

Also.

I would not say that the front boiler plug is the best way to fill the boiler.. it's probably the worst.. how do you get in there to fill it? and if your using a hose/tube then why not just attach a piece of tube the to blow down pipe exit, attach this to your hose pipe or water bottle open the valve and fill from there... by far the best way and means you dont have to worry about sealing up the front tube plate plug every time you steam the engine...

When it's in steam you may find that the steam lifter hose will probably not work very well and will not suck water from a water bottle without lifting the water bottle above the tender so gravity helps it.. it's probably better to have a hand pump and some tubing on your driving cart then pump it through the tube straight into the tender filler..

northburrell

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-10-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb on Mon 25 Jan 2010, 6:49 am

Ho
Thanks I can see I have a lot to do and get ready

hughb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al on Mon 25 Jan 2010, 9:41 am

In anticipation of finding a system to refill the tank from a water source stored in a container in the trailer I purchased a length of windscreen wiper tube and a windscreen washer pump from Halfords. (Pump = 17.00) The washer tube is the right size to fit over the blow down valve and if you carry a 12v battery, which you will need for the steam blower to fire up first thing, or a 240v step down transformer if you have a 240v supply, you can fix the washer pump to the trailer hidden, with a discreet on/off switch, away (When I can pursuade the good lady to let me get one Sad ) and connect it to the blowdown valve to fill the boiler first thing, then stick the end in the tank filler bit to fill the tank up, no need to rely on gravity and mess about with funnels and things.

Theories good, just need a trailer Very Happy

Al

Big Al

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Mon 25 Jan 2010, 10:04 am

The method with a washer pump was exactly as I used to refill my Maxitrak engine. I now use a submersible caravan pump which I fill up through the blowdown.

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  northburrell on Wed 03 Feb 2010, 8:07 am

Hi,

This problem can be fixed.. due to the gear change bracket tending to want to angle towards the rear of the model when the bolts are done up on the hornplate it makes the the gear changer arms not sit down into the groove in the crank gears enough. This then makes the straps not fit. I loosened off the bracket added my gears to the crank then the changers and then the rod that passes through them all.. this pulled the bracket into the right place. the changers were still sitting a little high in the grooves so removed a small amount of metal off the front face of the arched peace that fits into the groove, only about a mm mind. The changers then sat down in the grooves on the crank gears as they should. the holes in the straps are in the wrong place but I opened then both out towards the ends of the straps.. The straps now fit and my gear changer works as it should..

Jo

northburrell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World on Wed 03 Feb 2010, 9:13 am

Hi Jo,

Thanks for the constructive feedback, really useful. We did originally trial the strap before ordering the batch so we were very puzzled as why they now didn't quite fit. We have ordered another batch 3mm longer but the lead time for delivery is 5 - 6 weeks. If we can cancel the order, i will and then we'll let everyone know your suggestion, if it's too late to cancel we'll send them out when they arrive and everyone can either fit them or keep them as a spare.

Cheers

Dean

Steam Traction World

Number of posts : 886

View user profile http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  northburrell on Wed 03 Feb 2010, 10:48 am

Hi Dean,

It took me a while to get right but it all needs setting up at the same time, some holes might need tweaking to get the bracket in the right place.. the only one that i changed was the hole that we needed to drill in the side of the spec plate.. I'm sure everyone can get them to fit with a little tweaking of the arches that fit into the grooves and making sure the bracket is loose when fitting them.. with the changers out and on the bench the straps fit with the holes being tweaked. it was when I put the changer arms on that something didnt add up! I then noticed that my bracket was angled towards the tender making the holes for the shaft not line up by a good 2-3mm the arms must have also been sitting a good 3-4 mm up from where they should have been... you can see them floating in the Hugh's picture as the top of the changer arm should be pretty much flush with the groove that runs round the gear, so you can see how much they are floating by..

I would say cancel the order I cant see other models being that different from mine really... It did take a full day of messing with to get right though.. but I'll leave it up to you.. What have other builders found with this part of there model..? anyone?

glad it helps..

Jo

northburrell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb on Thu 04 Feb 2010, 12:09 pm

HI JO

Ho not thort of this Question .But not been in the shead for a bit as well ... Exclamation
I will have to try it ...Humm HUmmm thanks
Hugh

hughb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re Gear Cog Strap Not Fit

Post  malcolm on Sun 07 Feb 2010, 11:12 am

Hello

I have today also succeeded in fitting the gear change lever yoke straps. The main problem I found was that the gear levers themselves were at fault in that the the bottom tips of the arches were hitting the groove in the gears yust above centre thus preventing the yokes dropping down into the groove. this was cured by gently filing the ends of the yokes until they fitted properly down into the gears. I also had to slightly elongate the bolt holes in the straps to get the bolts to fit. I did not experiance any problems with the gear change bracket as mentioned by Northburrel.
I would say that I was a little disapointed with the standard of workmanship on some of the parts of the last two kits for this model ie: poorly cut threads etc.
I would also like to say that on looking at the parts for the first kit of the 2" driving trolley these appear to be back to the high standard of the kits that we recieved when STW first started, to date I have not started to build the driving trolley as I am in the process of building a 2" scale straw baler to be driven by the 2" burrell.

Malcolm

malcolm

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb on Thu 11 Feb 2010, 12:29 pm

malcolm wrote:Hello

II would also like to say that on looking at the parts for the first kit of the 2" driving trolley these appear to be back to the high standard of the kits that we recieved when STW first started, to date I have not started to build the driving trolley as I am in the process of building a 2" scale straw baler to be driven by the 2" burrell.

Malcolm
Hi Malcolm

I have not got my engine back to this point as I now is in bits .So not got to the wagon as well...
Can you put up some pics of the baler ..But only if you want.
Hugh

hughb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Gear Cog Strap Not Fit

Post  malcolm on Sun 14 Feb 2010, 10:47 am

Hello Hugh

I have attached a photo of the straw baler which is as far as I have got at the moment. This is being built using drawings for a 3" baler which I am resizing to 2" .

Malcolm

malcolm

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb on Sun 14 Feb 2010, 12:58 pm

WOW nice like it

I bet that has been alot of work .Well done and good luck

hughb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb on Fri 05 Mar 2010, 7:16 am

Hi STW

Can I ask how this problem is getting on????I mean the straps

hughb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  miller on Thu 22 Apr 2010, 10:51 am

right, quick update on this.

it would seem that the company that make the straps has somehow managed to send us another batch at the original length affraid Embarassed Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad pale

i'll have more chance to speak to Steve about this tomorrow and get more details

miller

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2008-06-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack on Thu 22 Apr 2010, 1:12 pm

Going to have to remind myself about this when I pop over tomorrow as I've not a bloody clue what this threads about but it does look somewhat important to the function of the gear selector no?
Good update though even though it's not the news some were wishing for I'm gathering, an updates better than no update eh Wink

See ya tomorrow Miller

LilyJack Cool

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb on Fri 23 Apr 2010, 1:59 pm

Hi guys

I have only just found this out as lost the bits .PLuss work in going on late all of this weak.
I was given the straps on MONDAY . I have just spent 2 1/2 houtrs on it and came to the thinking that it is the same or I have just had too much drink today and smoe thing is wrong ....

pheww Thanks for the INFO

hughb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  forge on Tue 27 Apr 2010, 10:52 am

i have my gear train fitted and working well. the spring steel straps do fit, the issue some may have found is caused by the machining profile of the 1st and 2nd gear causing the straps to bind. i am holding the keys into the crankshaft with a disk/washer attached on the end of the crankshaft.

will not be long before i am ready for a final air test, and first steaming... Very Happy

forge

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-07-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack on Wed 28 Apr 2010, 12:45 pm

Nice looking work there chap, ta for stickin those pics on, I'm near at that stage now so it's good to see how mine SHOULD look once assembled..

Regards

LilyJack Cool

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb on Fri 30 Apr 2010, 9:42 am

HI looks good well done

It may be the shape then thanks for the INFO

hughb