Far as I am now

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Far as I am now

Post  hughb on Sun 27 Dec 2009, 1:49 pm

Hi guys
This is just to show how far I am now. I have done my lubcrater .This took some doing as First it did not work pluss I had no cut thred in my cylinder .pic Neutral HUM HUM
Then well all the time and done now LOOK Shocked I had to put on the fly wheel and yes lost the key for the 3 rd time so made another one
Then just a thort came to me as When I saw BUNGLE and Tonyt was told about taller smoke stacks .so here are the pics.Bits I have made.
The slot gose in on my rivets as I could not remove them ..A tril fit..Drilled togetherAnd bolt it upAnd WoW pluss the small hover it all looks ok to me after some paint ...............
But a thort is to me is HOW tall to make the new stack????can some one tell me.....

Good luck to one and all and Happy new year clown santa cherry sunny drunken affraid

hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Far as I am now

Post  tef 20 on Sun 27 Dec 2009, 2:13 pm

Looking good Hugh. I wonder how many other cylinders arent tapped?

I am glad you liked the pictures i sent you Wink i supose you will need to get the spray gun out again lol

Mark

tef 20

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-06-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  miller on Mon 28 Dec 2009, 1:41 am

just a word of advise hughb... if you leave a blank line between your text and photos the layout looks a lot better, like this....

text text text text text

photo code

text text text text text

Cool

miller

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2008-06-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb on Mon 28 Dec 2009, 12:22 pm

Hi thanks for the tip Miller I have played with my posts but not tryed that thanks

I am thinking of running for a bit then painting .But I am not shaw ....And yes Mark it is all down to you Thanks

hughb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tef 20 on Mon 28 Dec 2009, 12:47 pm

LOL

Mark

tef 20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb on Thu 31 Dec 2009, 4:39 am

tef 20 wrote:LOL

Mark
Hi all
Well got some work done as I spent all day trying to find my spray gun and bits .
The water trap was under a big pile of wood ?????WHY Question ????? No one here will tell me why that is.
I figger it is best to start at the frunt first
So here are some pics .First I tryed to paint it on by hand .All streaky and cr^p .

I also have been told that I can not do my engine in blue as none were made this colour Exclamation
Gess what I said to that Twisted Evil
So my smock stack is haveing a spiral on it this has lost me a frend but it is tough Very Happy

Me spraying it up

Well soon I will be cutting it back and going for 5th coat ..

Have a happy new year to one and all .
Hugh

hughb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  northburrell on Mon 11 Jan 2010, 5:45 pm

hi Hugh,

You wont need the extension if your using a fan (blower) this will be fine on the top of the chimney as it will suck air through the tubes drawing the fire.. you will need and extension if you not using a fan to increase the draft up the chimney and through the tubes.... once you have about ten psi on the gauge then the fan can be removed and the blower opened this will draw the fire allot better than the fan and you'll be up to steam in no time.. takes about 15-20 mins to get my lilla up to pressure and as we have copper boilers you dont have to worry about warming them up slowly. if it were a steal boiler with copper tubes then you would need to warm it up nice and slow so they dont start leaking.... not a good thing to do on a full size loco.. you tend to be shouted at! it can take from 1 in the morning or even earlier to get a cold coal fired loco warmed up and up to pressure ready for a 9 o clock train depending on it's size of boiler... if the loco was in service the day before then it's allot less time as there still hot the next day....

I want to see your chimney swirl....

And you might find a small extension is needed to stop the sinders from being blown straight into your face when driver the engine.. a curved piece of pipe can be used to blow them out to the side. it's not nice getting a red hot sinder in your eye... esp when the loco is working hard it will suck the fire through the tubes and out the chimney into your face...

Jo

northburrell

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-10-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World on Tue 12 Jan 2010, 9:34 am

Hugh,

Hooooooraaaaaah, that's what i say. It's your engine, you've paid your money and can paint your engine whatever colour you like and fair play to you. Be a strange world if we were all the same. I'd leave the pink and yellow polka dots off though lol.

All the best

Dean

Steam Traction World

Number of posts : 886
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb on Tue 12 Jan 2010, 1:00 pm

northburrell wrote:hi Hugh,

You wont need the extension if your using a fan (blower) this will be fine on the top of the chimney as it will suck air through the tubes drawing the fire.. you will need and extension if you not using a fan to increase the draft up the chimney and through the tubes.... once you have about ten psi on the gauge then the fan can be removed and the blower opened this will draw the fire allot better than the fan and you'll be up to steam in no time.. takes about 15-20 mins to get my lilla up to pressure and as we have copper boilers you dont have to worry about warming them up slowly. if it were a steal boiler with copper tubes then you would need to warm it up nice and slow so they dont start leaking.... not a good thing to do on a full size loco.. you tend to be shouted at! it can take from 1 in the morning or even earlier to get a cold coal fired loco warmed up and up to pressure ready for a 9 o clock train depending on it's size of boiler... if the loco was in service the day before then it's allot less time as there still hot the next day....

I want to see your chimney swirl....

And you might find a small extension is needed to stop the sinders from being blown straight into your face when driver the engine.. a curved piece of pipe can be used to blow them out to the side. it's not nice getting a red hot sinder in your eye... esp when the loco is working hard it will suck the fire through the tubes and out the chimney into your face...

Jo

HI Jo
Thanks for the INFO .I did not know that about the locos i thort it was all ready the night before and just lite it and go .HO that must be a bummer Twisted Evil If you are late .
By the way the chimney swirl was a joke .My mate is only now seeing the funny side of it .LOL
As for sinder in eyes that will be like my bonfiers Very Happy Not seen a curved pipe ??? I will hve to look in to this.
Thanks
Hugh

hughb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb on Tue 12 Jan 2010, 1:02 pm

Steam Traction World wrote:Hugh,

Hooooooraaaaaah, that's what i say. It's your engine, you've paid your money and can paint your engine whatever colour you like and fair play to you. Be a strange world if we were all the same. I'd leave the pink and yellow polka dots off though lol.

All the best

Dean
Thhaannnkks My boiler covers are done now but are crap As not to the right size or place ....BUT I like them!!! Exclamation
As for pink and yellow polka dot that just sounds nice Embarassed

hughb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tef 20 on Tue 12 Jan 2010, 1:07 pm

Come on Hugh get the pictures up you showed me dont be shy Laughing it looks good to me like Dean says everyones different and its your engine so you can have it how you want.
Did you get the other line on your boiler sheets? the last picture i saw you had 1 more line to put on.

Mark

tef 20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb on Tue 12 Jan 2010, 1:24 pm

tef 20 wrote:Come on Hugh get the pictures up you showed me dont be shy Laughing it looks good to me like Dean says everyones different and its your engine so you can have it how you want.
Did you get the other line on your boiler sheets? the last picture i saw you had 1 more line to put on.

Mark

OK OK How can I respond to this ouch thet hurts and from there.
Ok guys here the pics

And when they were on the engine .

As you can see the lines are not in the right place.
The other line was going to be a light gray but I do not like it .
Hugh

hughb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tef 20 on Tue 12 Jan 2010, 1:29 pm

Thats a nice colour blue Hugh reminds me of something i have seen Laughing

Are you planning on painting your weigh shaft bracket?

Mark

tef 20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb on Tue 12 Jan 2010, 1:32 pm

tef 20 wrote:Thats a nice colour blue Hugh reminds me of something i have seen Laughing

Are you planning on painting your weigh shaft bracket?

Mark

I am going to have to look that up first as at the mo I can not rember which bit it is...Thinking about it is it the bit that is cruked and bent ..What coulour would I do it ???? AS I have got some glow in the dark ...
Hugh

hughb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tef 20 on Tue 12 Jan 2010, 1:41 pm

Its the bit bolted to the boiler between the cylinder block and the front of the hornplates with the valve rod going through it and the piston rod and slide bars on it it is brass coloured i did my the main body colour but some paint them black but i think you should go with glow in the dark paint or some tartain paint lol

Mark

tef 20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb on Tue 12 Jan 2010, 1:50 pm

HI Mark

That sounds nice the same as the main body .As for tarten paint all Of mine comes out mixed up jocolor lol!

hughb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack on Thu 14 Jan 2010, 10:42 am

HughB ya ugly ole bugga!!!!!! Razz

Your engine's looking the mutts nuts mate, nice job and the colour's kinda growing on me too I have to admit Shocked

The only thing I can see that's wrong with the picture is there's some big arsed git in the way of a perfectly damned decent engine hehe Twisted Evil

Seriously though Hugh, it's looking good chap, I'm a donkey's mile from being that far yet BUT I do now have me boiler so I'll be catching up with you soon..

Best Regards

LilyJack Cool

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb on Thu 14 Jan 2010, 12:23 pm

LilyJack wrote:HughB ya ugly ole bugga!!!!!! Razz

Your engine's looking the mutts nuts mate, nice job and the colour's kinda growing on me too I have to admit Shocked

The only thing I can see that's wrong with the picture is there's some big arsed git in the way of a perfectly damned decent engine hehe Twisted Evil

Seriously though Hugh, it's looking good chap, I'm a donkey's mile from being that far yet BUT I do now have me boiler so I'll be catching up with you soon..

Best Regards

LilyJack Cool

HI Alan
You not been on here a lot .
Thanks Very Happy Good luck on the boiler do post wont you Laughing Razz

hughb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack on Thu 14 Jan 2010, 1:47 pm

All work n no play makes LilyJack a tired boy mate. Can't win, want me engine finished wayyyyyyy ahead of schedule but to do that, have to work mate, spose the saving grace is at least there IS work to be done Wink .
I found the cylinder block a bit daunting to begin with and wasn't looking forwards to it at all but guess what...??? Beer REALLY DID HELP!! Shocked
Supped a few, looked at the bits n it was suprising how easy it was to understand how everything works in there but yup, dun worry Hugh, you'll know when I'm getting there, gonna have to "bump" into you sometime this year at a rally n have them beers!! Wink

Best Regards

LilyJack Cool

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:51 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top