4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’

Go down

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’

Post  Midwest Steam on Sun 09 Dec 2018, 1:48 pm

It’s time for a little show and tell. Started building a Road Loco back in June, I haven’t gotten as far along as I would like but progress has still been good. Here are a few photos of the project so far,

First wheel assembled and ready for paint.

Front axle painted, not thrilled with that shade of green.

That’s better, I’ll repaint it this spring when it warms up.

Starting to take shape.

Is that gonna be clean enough for paint?

Second rear wheel assembled, always fun lifting that on and off the bench.

The tender loosely assembled.

Another angle of the tender, it’s disassembled and cleaned up more. Gonna put down a coat of primer, when it warms up some, then put it all together again. After that it’ll be time to seal up the tank

That’s about it so far, have to wait till spring for some warmer weather. Getting too cold to work/paint in an unheated garage, plus I’m all out of kits.
Midwest Steam

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2018-09-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’

Post  bazzer on Sun 09 Dec 2018, 2:15 pm

Looking good.

Barry

bazzer

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2015-05-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C on Sun 09 Dec 2018, 2:33 pm

Hi to you MWS
Yes I am inclined to agree with you -8 is a little cold to be painting without heat, its a barmy +8 this side of the pond and I wouldn't consider painting at that temperature.
just something for you to consider at this stage in your build is putting some way of lubricating the steering part of your perch bracket.
After all it is easier to get to at the moment
Some on hear have used oil pots and others have used a grease nipple I suppose it comes down to your preference but worthy of consideration.
You seem to have made a good start and perhaps the cold is doing you a good turn, after all its much worse to have kits to work on but are unable than to have no kits to work on at all.
Good luck with the build and keep the pictures coming I hope it warms up for you soon.
Simon C (a full roofer)
Simon C

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2017-07-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam on Sun 09 Dec 2018, 3:16 pm

Thanks Barry,

Simon, I’ve thought about having some way of lubricating the steering. Haven’t figured out how to do it just yet. The temperature is supposed to in the mid 40sF next week, should be able to run a heater and get a little painting done. The main goal right now is to get the metal coated so it’s less likely to rust over winter.

There will be plenty of pictures and updates in the coming year(s).
Midwest Steam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam on Tue 11 Dec 2018, 8:59 pm

Just a quick update. With the temperature being close to 60F, thought I would do some quick primer coating.

Tender in primer, once it dries it’ll be time reassemble and seal the water tank.

Tow strap and bracket, figured it would be best to paint the backside to prevent any rust from forming down the road.

Rear wheel in primer.

The other one too.
Midwest Steam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam on Sun 16 Dec 2018, 3:44 pm

Got a little bit more done over the last couple days, biggest job was assembling the tender once again and sealing the tank.

Hopefully the other coats of paint go on this smoothly.

Fully assembled, it’s really starting to look like a tender now. Had to do a little touch up body work, easier to do it now rather than when it’s fully painted.

Trimmed up the beading and ground down the screws. Unfortunately I’ve stripped a few screws out earlier in the build so I’ll have to wait for more.

There’s still a few more odd jobs to get done still yet, would’ve liked to have gotten more paint sprayed but there’s always next year. Winter hasn’t shut me down yet, but it is slowing things down.
Midwest Steam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam on Tue 08 Jan 2019, 12:02 am

Mini update, finished painting the rear wheels over the last couple days.

Before and After

Now the fun part, waiting for the paint to dry.

Once it’s dry it’ll be ready for lining, had to do a little a little touch up with a brush. Turns out I’m not great at spraying, or more like trying to get the sprayer in some of those tight areas. There’s a couple of runs that’ll get fixed and touched up, might as well do it right.
Midwest Steam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Tue 08 Jan 2019, 8:50 pm

When spraying the tender & other bits that have threaded holes I cut the ends off cotton buds and screw them into the holes to stop paint mucking up the thread, works a treat & they can be reused time and time again.
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 743
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam on Tue 08 Jan 2019, 9:08 pm

Steve Traill wrote:When spraying the tender & other bits that have threaded holes I cut the ends off cotton buds and screw them into the holes to stop paint mucking up the thread, works a treat & they can be reused time and time again.

Excellent advice, I goofed up and covered some of the threads with FlexSeal by mistake when sealing the tender. Embarassed oops, oh well.
Midwest Steam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down