Fitting the Cylinder

Go down

Fitting the Cylinder

Post  Gomer on Thu 06 Dec 2018, 11:16 am

Morning all,

I'm just at the point where i'm ready to fit the cylinder to the boiler and just wanted to confirm what everyone else has done to successfully seal the studs into the boiler. The instructions ask you to puts a couple of turns of PTFE on the threads before fitting them but it doesn't specify if its just normal (white rolls) of PTFE or Gas rated PTFE (yellow rolls). All the information i can find relating to PTFE tape doesn't specify a max temperature or if its suitable for steam.

Another point i could do with some guidance on is on the alignment of the horn plates / bearing housing etc. I now have the jig bar set so it can rotate and slide easily providing the right-hand bearing cap that covers and retains the dummy bearing block is left finger tight. If I nip this up with a spanner then the bar will only just rotate by hand with some force.
If i pack the underside of dummy block with a 10 thou feeler gauge on the inner edge (crankshaft side) i can tighten it up and its still quite free. Is this acceptable?

Also, has anybody fitted washers to the M8 set screws that retain the horn plates to the boiler?

Any advice or reassurance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Neville

Gomer

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2018-01-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fitting the Cylinder

Post  elwood-59 on Thu 06 Dec 2018, 12:44 pm

Hi Neville,

When I put my boiler on I used SteamSeal for the studs instead of PTFE tape as I had much trouble with it on other occasions. Figured that if other threads can be sealed with it, so can the studs on the cylinder - and on weighshaft backet likewise. But I have to say it is still to be tested, as the boiler still awairs its first steaming Embarassed

As for the alingnment bar, I did not encounter that so I cannot be of much help here, mine fit as it was - surprisingly enough or was it sheer luck.

And no, I did not fit washers to the hormplate to boiler bolts it as that would add another surface which could make the bolt come loose. I am looking forward to tighten them anyways after each steaming as the bolts will settle down with each heating and cooling circle, so I was told.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Elwood
elwood-59

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2014-12-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Fitting the Cylinder

Post  Gomer on Thu 06 Dec 2018, 1:22 pm

Hi Elwood,

Thanks for your advice. I think your probably right about the bolts they just look wrong with 10mm holes and 8mm bolts!
I've read the specification on the ROCOL steam Tin again and it does say suitable for sealing threads so fingers crossed unless someone from the forum has more experience of it failing.

Thanks again,

Neville

Gomer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C on Thu 06 Dec 2018, 1:54 pm

Hi Neville
Found this F.Y.I.
White Standard Grade PTFE
Composition: Min. 99% PTFE
Tape Colour: White
Thickness: .09mm
Density: 0.4g/cm3
Temp. Range: -100C ~ +260C
-212F ~ +500F
So no problem regarding temp as your block will only see around 190C
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2017-07-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Fitting the Cylinder

Post  Gomer on Thu 06 Dec 2018, 2:10 pm

Hi Simon,

Many thanks, that's just what i needed to know. I take it you used PTFE?

Regards,

Neville

Gomer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C on Thu 06 Dec 2018, 4:44 pm

Yes I have used PTFE on both of my engines on all of the studs that go through to the boiler space, on the showman's it has worked perfectly,cant speak for the roller yet as its not at the steam it stage.
The roller runs at a lower pressure and hence a lower temperature than the showman's and hence not a concern to me.
I have had experience of breaking aged joints sealed with Foliac and it makes the job all that more difficult whereas PTFE is slippery stuff and never seems to have given any issues.
Simon
Simon C

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2017-07-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Capricorn1 on Thu 06 Dec 2018, 6:25 pm

I used Rocol Foliac Maganese Graphite paste on the studs.

The same for the main gasket - you only need a thin coating applied with a brush, give the boiler barrel a rub down with emery cloth before hand, there's no need to layer it on like you're icing a cake otherwise all the torque you're applying is absorbed squeezing out the excess paste rather than compressing the joint.

Used the same paste on the gaskets I cut from 0.75mm Novus 34 for the cylinder rear cover and the regulator plate.

For the front cylinder cover, valve chest covers and safety valves I put the gasket on dry - you can apply a little steam oil or anti-seize past to facilitate easy removal if you like.

Capricorn1

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2013-07-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Fitting the Cylinder

Post  Gomer on Fri 07 Dec 2018, 1:42 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll get on and bolt the Cylinder down this weekend and sort some gaskets out for covers whilst i'm about it.

Regards,

Neville

Gomer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down