6” Foden - Painting Springs

Go down

6” Foden - Painting Springs

Post  Tony Lockyer on Tue 27 Nov 2018, 7:04 pm

I am building a 6” Foden C type. Having looked at posts from other members I painted the springs. On trying to assemble the front and rear springs, both do not fit as they are now too thick. Has anybody else had this problem? Also is there an easy way of removing the paint other than wire brushing/angle grinders as it creates a lot of dust?

Tony Lockyer

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2017-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 6” Foden - Painting Springs

Post  Simon C on Tue 27 Nov 2018, 10:04 pm

Hi Tony
I powder coated the spring on the front of my showman's and it also gave me problems in assembly.
I ended up sand blasting the inner leafs and re-powdering but with a thinner coat.
Removing the paint just from the centre of each of the inner leafs may give you the necessary clearance you are looking for.
If you have used coach paint then it can be softened using a hot air paint stripper gun, then use a razor edge scraper, sometimes referred to as a window scraper to cut the paint away. a sharp wood chisel would work but only if you are good at putting the edge back on it after you have finished
As long as you do not apply too much heat to the area you should get away without destroying the rest of the paint on the leaf.
Don't be tempted to use fire as you may knock the temper out of the spring if it gets to hot.
PS you Foden guys need to post more pictures of your builds, I had to look back to 2010 to find one by Miller, and a david u back in 2009 also had your problem he posted a help plea back then but got no responses.
hope this helps.
Simon C (A full roofer)
Simon C

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2017-07-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Lockyer on Wed 28 Nov 2018, 8:25 am

Thanks for this. I was a little disappointed that STW did not say not to paint the springs in the instructions. I did report the problem to them but their solution was to not fit one of the leaves. However, this was going to create more problems which would necessitate cutting bolts. I spent a lot of time and effort painting the springs and this set back has slowed my progress. I have just started to assemble my 6” Foden having received half the kits. It’s a JV with my wife. We’ll try to post some details when we restart.

Tony Lockyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  simonbos on Wed 28 Nov 2018, 5:16 pm

Tony
I also had this problem with the springs being too thick once assembled which meant I couldn't get the head of the retaining bolt down low enough to clear the axle housing cap - so I got somebody to mill a recess (about 4 or 5mm) into the underside of the cap. Also had to grind a few small bits off other related parts to get to fit nicely.
Simon

simonbos

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2012-09-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Lockyer on Wed 28 Nov 2018, 10:56 pm

I’m unhappy grinding bits off or milling so I will be stripping back to bare metal and starting again. I also had a problem with the outer leaf of the front springs which is twisted and the bolts do not align with the holes in the axle. Still waiting for a replacement. Hope these posts help future builders.

Tony Lockyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World on Thu 29 Nov 2018, 8:00 am

Hi Tony,

I will get something about not painting the springs added in to the instructions. Please remember we are not painters and although we put a control model together this is only ever to prove the assembly and we never do the painting. We have no experience in this field and therefore only put it on the instructions if when writing them its becomes apparent or is fairly obvious. We will however add something if a customer flags a potential problem like you have.

I will investigate further who advised you and why you were advised to leave a spring out. If this was purely due to paint thicknesses, leaving a spring out would never be my preference and certainly not something I would recommend.

Regards

Dean

Steam Traction World

Number of posts : 916
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Lockyer on Thu 29 Nov 2018, 8:29 am

Dean,

Thanks for your response. I’m only flagging this problem to help others. As you say your control model is not painted so unless we find problems ourselves of this type, you will never experience them yourself.

Tony Lockyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Lockyer on Thu 29 Nov 2018, 6:45 pm

Found a blog from burrell1. Would love to know if you had problems with the springs as the photos look superb.

Tony Lockyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  calimods on Fri 30 Nov 2018, 11:27 pm

I had the same problem on my 4 1/2'' foden, I ground them slightly thinner to allow for paint but still managed to put too much on. In the end I sanded it off and put on a thin coat of gloss on then a smattering of vaseline

calimods

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2010-07-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iain on Mon 03 Dec 2018, 10:30 am

My front spring is currently without one leaf although i've not finished building. My thoughts being that leaving it with weight on it might sort it out, and then before I go any further i'll get the extra leaf in.

Back ones were fine I think, although I haven't put the caps on yet.

iain

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2012-09-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bazzer on Tue 04 Dec 2018, 2:28 pm

The only experience I've had with leaf springs is when I built a Caterham many years ago, I put the springs together then painted them, this was recommended to allow the leaves to move against each other without the added friction of paint.

I assume the same for the Foden springs.

Barry

bazzer

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2015-05-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down