Cladding and tyres

Go down

Cladding and tyres

Post  steamlaser on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 3:50 pm

1. I have been trying to fit the piece of cladding which has the dummy manhole cover.
The radius of the bent metal sheet seems to large. It also seems that I will have to cut away a significant amount of metal to get the cladding sheet to go down between the Hornplates and to also wrap around beneath the boiler. Is this a common problem?
Has there been a duff batch of cladding that has had to be replaced?
2. I have bonded the strips of rubber to make up the circular tyres. I now need to fit them to the rims and understand that one has to apply a degree of heat to soften the material. SWMBO will breath fire if I put them in the oven to warm them. My only solution is to build a "Hot Box" to warm them up. What is the correct temperature to use to gain the maximum flexibility and not to cook the rubber?
Many thanks!

steamlaser

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2014-11-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

cladding and tyres

Post  Mike King on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 4:07 pm

I had the same issue with my cladding at that end of the boiler. I just cut it to fit. As far as the tyres are concerned, Its a dirty job. Get a old apron on. I found was to get the isoflex on the rim and tyre as directed, and use a couple of decent levers. Mine went on ok. After they are on, centre the position will the isoflex is wet, wipe off any excess, and hang the wheels up for a week or so. Dont stand the wheels on the tyres, or you'll get flat spots. Hope this helps. Mike

Mike King

Number of posts : 311
Registration date : 2014-09-04

View user profile http://www.mikekingphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Cladding and tyres

Post  Mark the spark on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 5:27 pm

When I did my clayton I put the tyres in boiling water for about half a hour changing the water every 10 mins or so and that worked really well

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2015-04-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IanR on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 9:37 pm

I would strongly advise not using the oven to warm the tyres before fitting. Nothing to do with SHMBO! I tried it with the tyres for my driving wagon and managed to destroy the glued joint. After that when I did fit the tyres I did it on a sunny day and left them in the sun to warm up for an hour or so. Which seemed to work quite well. As already said it is a very messy job. When I came to do the engine itself I decided to order vulcanised wheels.

IanR

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2012-10-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down