Cladding and tyres

Go down

Cladding and tyres

Post  steamlaser on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 3:50 pm

1. I have been trying to fit the piece of cladding which has the dummy manhole cover.
The radius of the bent metal sheet seems to large. It also seems that I will have to cut away a significant amount of metal to get the cladding sheet to go down between the Hornplates and to also wrap around beneath the boiler. Is this a common problem?
Has there been a duff batch of cladding that has had to be replaced?
2. I have bonded the strips of rubber to make up the circular tyres. I now need to fit them to the rims and understand that one has to apply a degree of heat to soften the material. SWMBO will breath fire if I put them in the oven to warm them. My only solution is to build a "Hot Box" to warm them up. What is the correct temperature to use to gain the maximum flexibility and not to cook the rubber?
Many thanks!

steamlaser

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2014-11-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

cladding and tyres

Post  Mike King on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 4:07 pm

I had the same issue with my cladding at that end of the boiler. I just cut it to fit. As far as the tyres are concerned, Its a dirty job. Get a old apron on. I found was to get the isoflex on the rim and tyre as directed, and use a couple of decent levers. Mine went on ok. After they are on, centre the position will the isoflex is wet, wipe off any excess, and hang the wheels up for a week or so. Dont stand the wheels on the tyres, or you'll get flat spots. Hope this helps. Mike

Mike King

Number of posts : 312
Registration date : 2014-09-04

View user profile http://www.mikekingphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Cladding and tyres

Post  Mark the spark on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 5:27 pm

When I did my clayton I put the tyres in boiling water for about half a hour changing the water every 10 mins or so and that worked really well

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2015-04-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IanR on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 9:37 pm

I would strongly advise not using the oven to warm the tyres before fitting. Nothing to do with SHMBO! I tried it with the tyres for my driving wagon and managed to destroy the glued joint. After that when I did fit the tyres I did it on a sunny day and left them in the sun to warm up for an hour or so. Which seemed to work quite well. As already said it is a very messy job. When I came to do the engine itself I decided to order vulcanised wheels.

IanR

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2012-10-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sticking tyres to wheels

Post  steamlaser on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:08 pm

Thanks to all those who gave advice about fitting tyres.
Today we did a trial run at the Club House.
1. I wrapped a tyre in Aluminium foil to reduce any vapours that might result of heating .
2. I put the small tyre in the oven having firstly used a Infra Red optical tester to ensure the oven temperature was at 65 C +/- 2 C
3. After heating the tyre for about 15 minutes, we did a trial putting the rubber tread on the wheel.
4. The small tyre went on with out to much of a fight.
5. The rubber appeared not to outgas at 65 C and there was no smell in the oven! (The club ladies would not have been amused if I messed up the oven!)
6. My next move is to prime the wheels and leave them to dry off for a week.
7. The wheels are bolted down on a jig so they should not slide around as we put the tyres.
8. I just hope the glued joints do not burst as we put the larger tyres on.
Getting the wheels finished will mean a major obstacle has been surmounted. I will be able to get the boiler etc off blocks of wood and thus be able to move the engine around safely.

steamlaser

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Fitting tyres

Post  steamlaser on Mon 17 Sep 2018, 12:36 am

On Friday ,two fellow members and I gathered to stick on the tyres to my wheels and coat the inside of the tender.
Having heated the tyres to approx. 70 C in the club oven and having precoated all surfaces with rubber primer, we started to fit the tyres to the rims. It was fortunate that we had some motorcycle tyre levers ready and that there were three of us. We did get the tyres on with a bit of a fight, but I would not recommend that you try on your own. It required some rapid team work before the rubber tyres cooled down. We had to change our disposable gloves a number of times as it was a messy process. The tender was an easier job and just required a liberal coating of rubber compound.
I am now going to leave the wheels for a number of weeks to outgas and for the rubber set off.
Hopefully the end is now in sight and the I may get the engine finished in time for next year.

steamlaser

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  baggycanoe on Sun 21 Oct 2018, 2:38 pm

Can anyone help i cant found parts list anf pics for kit 14 and now trying to put bands on but not sure how they are secured

baggycanoe

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  baggycanoe on Sun 21 Oct 2018, 2:39 pm

Can anyone help i cant found parts list anf pics for kit 14 and now trying to put bands on but not sure how they are secured your help would be appreciated

baggycanoe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Sun 21 Oct 2018, 4:14 pm

Hi

Isoflex primer and liquid rubber. Can be purchased from most DIY centres.
lynnr

Number of posts : 2975
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C on Mon 22 Oct 2018, 8:08 pm

Hi Baggycanoe
The question is a little confusing
Lynn has answered as if you are asking about the tyre bands to the wheels!
However you could be asking about boiler cladding bands and if this is the case you may like to look at Charley12154 my new build on the 2 inch thread.
its page 4 Chas did a good set of photos of his build and these picks may just give the clues you need.
Simon
Simon C

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2017-07-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  baggycanoe on Tue 23 Oct 2018, 2:19 am

I was simon on about the boiler bands sorry for the confusion, thanks for the link to some great photos its has helped me

baggycanoe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down