POR15 Tank Sealer

Go down

POR15 Tank Sealer

Post  PaulC on Mon 16 Apr 2018, 7:46 am

Hi all I donít live to far from the recommended supplier for POR15 Tank sealer (Frost Restoration) and Iím planning to go this Friday.

I just wanted to know what size tins do I need to do the tender and separately the Belly Tank at a further date on a 4Ē SCC?

Having searched the site I see someone had recommended painting this on with a brush instead of sloshing it around as recommended in the instructions to avoid making a mess.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by PaulC on Tue 17 Apr 2018, 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total

PaulC

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2016-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

POR15 Tank Sealer

Post  Stu 18 on Mon 16 Apr 2018, 1:40 pm

Paul,

I'm doing my SCC tender this week, and worked out I need the 473ml size. I bought the complete degreaser/primer/sealant kit.
The degreaser tends to leave rust streaks which is a bit alarming, but hopefully the primer will sort that out.

I've sealed up all the holes using bolts and/or plastic covers and blocked the worst of the gaps along the joins (from the outside). I'm also buying a concrete mixing tray from B&Q to stand the tender on so any primer that seeps out can be retained and possibly dosed back in. (It also avoids mucking up the floor!)

You'll need another kit for the belly tank when you come to that as once you've opened the sealant can you can never close it again.

Stu

Stu 18

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2017-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: POR15 Tank Sealer

Post  Simon C on Mon 16 Apr 2018, 9:14 pm

Hi to you Paul and Stu

One from the wiser now I have lived the mistake. DO NOT get POR 15 on your skin, as only dynamite will shift the dam stuff takes around 10 days to wear off naturally.

On my tenders I used decorators filler to temporarily seal the tank seams before using the POR, once the POR has set the filler can be removed using a wire brush along the seams before painting, it takes a little work removing it especialy in the corners but its not impossible.
It has proved to be a successful method for me on 2 tenders and a belly tank so far.
One of my colleagues at work suggested blue tack but I did not have any of that unlike the decorators filler.
I cover all holes with masking tape not bothering with the threaded parts that I have taps to run through when all is set (this part is not recommended if you don,t have the taps to clear the threads)

Paul don't fit the 22mm balance pipe elbow to your belly tank before sealing it as you will almost certainly need to remove this fitting to fit the pipework together later and sealant in the thread will make it very difficult.
Simon C (a full roofer)
Simon C

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2017-07-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC on Tue 17 Apr 2018, 7:16 am

Thanks Stu and Simon.

One thing that is on my mind is all the parts that are to be fitted to the tender on the outside. Should these not be fitted first so that the fixings on the inside are sealed at the same time or do you just touch these up with a brush through the top hole afterwards?

Its a bit chicken or the egg as the tender would need to be painted first then fit the parts on the outside like brass fittings or any parts that are to be in a different colour before you can then seal the inside.

PaulC

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2016-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C on Tue 17 Apr 2018, 10:07 am

Paul
Seal the tank, paint the tank and its bits and bobs, then fit them together and brush seal the nuts and bolts on completion.
The thinking behind this is that you will have paint behind all the fittings and so if water gets behind them later no rusty streaks.
Simon
Simon C

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2017-07-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down