Trying to catch up with some finished parts.

Go down

Trying to catch up with some finished parts.

Post  Jim the Shovel on Fri 13 Apr 2018, 10:24 pm

It's been a while since I posted anything regarding the build progress.
Due to health, winter and any other excuse I can think of it's been slow going.
Now that I am actually shall I say semi retired things should start moving.
I say semi cos they keep giving me jobs to do. That's the trouble when you work from home.
Enough of that. Following are pics of parts that are finished with pinstriping all done.

Inside of Motion Guard. I've shown this because to make it easily removable you'll notice
that at cylinder end there are two grommets. These will fit over two turned down studs.
(M6 thread turned off) At the horn plate end I have heli-coiled the lower bolt so you don't
have to reach down inside. The one remains as nut and bolt.



Outside of both Motion Guards.
The right side one has extra cut out for the Windermere Kettle pipe taken from the lifter.





Cylinder Block cladding. I added a brass strip across the top.



Crank Gear Guard





Bunker



Gear Guards



avatar
Jim the Shovel

Number of posts : 102
Location : Isle of Wight
Registration date : 2015-06-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trying to catch up with some finished parts.

Post  parador on Fri 13 Apr 2018, 11:28 pm

Very nice. How did you get such even curves on the Gear Guards?

Regards
Martin

parador

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trying to catch up with some finished parts.

Post  Jim the Shovel on Tue 17 Apr 2018, 8:34 pm

Hi Martin

Don't know if you saw my response but it seems to have disappeared. So here we go again.
I kicked off by sticking a piece of cardboard on the inside of the guard. I then plotted the centre
of the circle. The outer edge of the green was then was then drawn on the guard with a Stabilo
wax pencil in a trammel. This was then masked with Finesse edge tape 7/8" apart and was painted green.
The black was then masked on top of the green with 3/16" Finesse tape and the black painted
on top of the green. So then had 3/16" green, 1/2" red and 3/16" green.
The red was masked with Finesse F11 (1/16") 3/16" from the green.
That's about it.

Jim
avatar
Jim the Shovel

Number of posts : 102
Location : Isle of Wight
Registration date : 2015-06-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trying to catch up with some finished parts.

Post  sonick45 on Wed 18 Apr 2018, 6:44 pm

I did a similar thing but used the outside edge as a guide. I attached a chinagraph pencil ( writes on glass) by wrapping wire around the pencil and securing with tape.
The wire was the thickness of a coat hanger. I bent it over with pliers and made it so no sharp edges touches the paint. One end went over the edge whilst the other drew the line on the paintwork. i repeated this shortening the wire to give me the correct distances between the lines. I then used finesse coach painters tape to follow the lines very carefully.

avatar
sonick45

Number of posts : 494
Location : Barton-Le-Clay (Beds)
Registration date : 2009-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trying to catch up with some finished parts.

Post  Jim the Shovel on Wed 18 Apr 2018, 8:45 pm

There's another way to skin the cat. Nice one.
Being a Draughtsman I went for the hard way with the tools I had.

Jim
avatar
Jim the Shovel

Number of posts : 102
Location : Isle of Wight
Registration date : 2015-06-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trying to catch up with some finished parts.

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum