Missing from home

Go down

Missing from home

Post  Simon C on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 8:34 pm

Has anyone out in roller build land found my three runaway holes?
They are small, round and probably look very lost and sad.

On a serious note the three holes for the step on my tender are AWOL, don't laugh Norfolk yours are missing as well has any one any idea as to the front to back position of the top step so I can drill new holes.
The ISO shows the step below the tank top rivet line, but to make things simpler for attaching the step I will probably move the step up above this line so the nuts are inside the man-stand area.
if no body can help with this dilemma then I will ring STW Monday and post my findings here.

Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2017-07-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Missing from home

Post  Ian on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 1:35 pm

Well spotted, looking at the ISO BR407 sheet 3 of 3 will show you aproximately where the missing holes should reside
the dimentions are as follows, the forward most hole is 272mm from the front edge of the tender side and 197.2mm from the tender top edge, the middle hole is 320 mm from the front edge of the tender side and 199mm from the tender top edge, the rearmost hole is 368mm from the front edge of the tender side and 200.8mm from the tender top edge.

If you feel the need to place them elsewhere the 3 holes are 4.5mm in diameter, 48mm apart and in a strait line.
Regards Ian

Ian

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-06-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 3:55 pm

Thanks Ian

I did think that I had found my original holes this morning but on closer inspection they turned out all to be just potholes, "tendering for the repair contract as we speak".
New question any body got any idea as to whereabouts I can obtain a tape measure marked at 197.2 and 200.8mm??? who new looking for 3 measly holes could be so difficult I bet great uncle Chas did not have this trouble.

Simon C
Simon C

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 4:30 pm

Simon C wrote:Thanks Ian

I did think that I had found my original holes this morning but on closer inspection they turned out all to be just potholes, "tendering for the repair contract as we speak".
New question any body got any idea as to whereabouts I can obtain a tape measure marked at 197.2 and 200.8mm??? who new looking for 3 measly holes could be so difficult I bet great uncle Chas did not have this trouble.

Simon C

(tounge in cheek) easy get your old imperal feeler gauges out 1mm is aprox 40 thou 40/10=4 thou=0.1mm so 8 thou =0.2mm hold it the plus side of 197mm and mark it out, then hold it the minus side of 201mm and mark that out job done!
dont use metric feeler gauges as thats cheating and far to easy.

Ian

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-06-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 4:36 pm

That will teach me not to ask flippant questions of the smart department.
Simon C

View user profile

Back to top Go down

This one is for Ian @ STW

Post  Simon C on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 5:15 pm

" />
Simon C

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NorfolkModelSteam on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 5:59 pm

Iím a few kits behind so donít have the tender fittings kit as yet so thanks for the heads up! The blue is looking very smart! Are you going to be lining it?

NorfolkModelSteam

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2015-10-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 6:52 pm

Good afternoon NorfolkModelSteam

Yes I will be doing some very simple lining, but I am using the theory that rollers were working machines driven hard and not as loved as say showman's or road locos.

I have set out some lines for the wheel spokes but as yet haven't printed them out, I think that I will be using red vinyl to produce the lines.

At some time in the future I will lay out some lines for the front forks but that is when the TV is rubbish "like now".

I re-produce the outline shape of the part to be lined and then add the lines to that this means that I can see the finished result on the screen and scale the lines accordingly. you would be amazed at how much difference 1/2 a mill makes to the look of the lining.
Anyhow the decision to stick or paint has not been made yet but its academic relay as the vinyl can be used as a masking if going down the paint it root

I did line the showman's wheels with a Beugler but if you get it wrong the rubbing down and re-painting/retrying teaches you not to get it wrong twice.

By the way what is your name as calling you NorfolkModelSteam does not seem proper some how.

Simon C
Simon C

View user profile

Back to top Go down

just in case you are wondering

Post  Simon C on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 7:39 pm

The other side.

" />
Simon C

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NorfolkModelSteam on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 10:21 am

Iím yet to decide on lining, my painting ability is not great, painting the tender one solid colour has been bad enough! Iím hoping to catch up on kits to progress the build a bit more, will be nice to do something other than cleaning up spokes! My name is Greg and my Junior Engineer who is getting involved is Arthur. If you're on Facebook feel free to post pictures of your progress on my page Burrell Roller Builders Group as there are quite a few people now watching progress!

Best regards,

Greg

NorfolkModelSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 8:21 pm

Hi Greg & Arthur

Lynn did a great set of how to paints over last Christmas (Getting itchy fingers I think)well worth a look and read, its all in the preparation and sanding properly between coats.
The one thing to remember is that the busier the striping is the more it leads the eye away from the base coat and some of the imperfections there on.
however as i said previously it is my belief that rollers as working machines would have been painted with less pride than the more showy engines and probably even done at the side of the road and hence not perfect in the first place.
My old man who says he can remember the council steam roller back in the day, remembers them as being all black and quite dull.
Going back to the lining and the amount used the more complicated the lines the harder it will be to touch up should and when the inevitable scratch lands on your engine.
I will post more pictures soon but I am working 7 days and long hours at the moment so my build has really slowed down, oh yes and as for spokes I also hate the little blighters and I have 8 wagon and 2 bowser wheels still to make up.

PS I don't use face book and with the present controversy surrounding it I don't believe I will be in the foreseeable future, "sorry"
Its taken several months for me to learn to post pictures on this forum and that is after a lesson from Lynn, a cheeky kid at work keeps telling me its because i am old.

Simon C
Simon C

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C on Wed 02 May 2018, 10:00 pm

Very slow progress this last week or so due to work but as promised done a little lining

" />

" />

" />

and also this thingy

" />

A I said earlier on nothing complicated (easier to repair later after a few scratches).
Moving on to the roles next and that is a lot of spokes.

Simon C
Simon C

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NorfolkModelSteam on Sat 26 May 2018, 10:34 pm

Hi Simon, got home to my kit today, the instructions say to use Instant Gasket - what did you use? Iíve googled it and thereís loads of options!!

NorfolkModelSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C on Sun 27 May 2018, 5:33 am

NorfolkModelSteam wrote:Hi Simon, got home to my kit today, the instructions say to use Instant Gasket - what did you use? Iíve googled it and thereís loads of options!!

Morning Greg
If that is for the tender fittings then I used ordinary silicon sealant from B&Q.
The trick is to smear a thin film of grease on one face and a thin film of silicon on the other. This will enable you to break the joint later Without much fuss just one caveat if you have not painted yet get paintable silicon or you wont get paint to stick at any price.

Simon
Simon C

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down