April, May, June Production photos 2018

Go down

April, May, June Production photos 2018

Post  craig@STW on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 3:58 pm

Wow April already, and as i like to group the posts in 3 month sets, a new topic !!

first photo this month is the finished 6inch foden chassis rails. as always, im glad to see the back of these. after machining they go over to welding to have the front sections attached...

back on the machines and im drilling the side braces...

and checking they all fit together...

another part seen in last weeks post was the 4inch burrell weigh-shaft bracket casting. i have just started these today. half the batch will be the standard burrell item and the other half will be the slightly modified Roller bracket...

another standard burrell part that will be used un the roller is the cylinder block valve buckle. again, I've just started these today...

with our big machine finished on the chassis rails its now straight on to the final milling on the new batch of boilers that were pressure tested and signed off this week...

and i thought i would include a few photos of the parts that have been made on the lathes this week. nothing too interesting but it does show that the machines are kept busy making all the extra parts and fittings...

anyone want to guess at whats being made in the welding bay this week ??? yes, its boilers again  Laughing  the main bodies of the 6inch foden boilers are tacked together...

and then you can see how the inner fire box and stays are added and all the joins are fully welded. if you consider how hard it must be to get into all these areas and the fact that some of the welds have to be continuous, you can appreciate the skill involved in the making of a boiler.

craig@STW

Number of posts : 1278
Registration date : 2010-05-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: April, May, June Production photos 2018

Post  sonick45 on Thu 12 Apr 2018, 5:07 pm

Craig,

I noted on your last posts that the wagon parts were mainly all sitting on the shelf waiting to go out the door.

Is there any news on the next kit?

Cheers
Nick
sonick45

Number of posts : 463
Registration date : 2009-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW on Fri 13 Apr 2018, 4:07 pm

Nick, yes the wagon kits have had a lot done already, but there are quite a few more parts to make. this week production concentrated on the much smaller kit for the Roller. the wagon kits are likely to be ready by the end of the month  Cool  

This weeks photos...

as said above, machine production has mainly focused on the next roller kit this week, and the kit is due to go out next week (Wednesday i think)

the rear cylinder covers that were turned a few weeks back are all finished...

the cylinder block valve buckles that i started last week are all done...

The burrrel/roller weigh-shaft casting is just about done. After normal machining the casting is shortened to make it into the roller version. The central hole will also be blocked up. Why put the hole in you ask?? well all the machining jigs and their mounting pins are designed to use that hole as a datum point, all i did was drill a smaller hole and make new mounting pins  Cool

cross-heads are on their last op...

adding the slide bar grooves...

and the piston rod glands are done...

the welding section is currently welding up all the 6inch foden chassis brackets that we machined a few weeks back...

and as for boiler making... well i went into the welding bay and the stuff on the table looked exactly the same as last week  Shocked although Harry assures me that it is a different boiler. just at the same stage of build  Rolling Eyes scroll up and look at last weeks photo... it looks exactly the same as that  Rolling Eyes

but i have got a photo of some recently finished 2inch boilers for you...

craig@STW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark on Mon 16 Apr 2018, 5:30 pm

Hi Craig
How are things getting on with the showmans gens?
Mark

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2015-04-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Welder on Thu 19 Apr 2018, 10:54 pm

Is there any news on the injectors for the 4inch dcc need it to finish the thing of so I can get it tested

Welder

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2014-12-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW on Fri 20 Apr 2018, 4:10 pm

showmans generators are waiting on a delivery of magnets !!!

injectors are currently with a subcontractor.

i only really have information on the items that are currently in production. nothing for the above items is currently being worked on on the shop floor. i would suggest a call to the office if anyone requires more details. sorry i can't be of more help Smile

this weeks photos !!! the main concentration this week has been on a couple of lyka kits. the first being brake pedals and handbrake items and the second being the cylinder blocks and crank kit...

first up are the foot plates for the pedals. on the previous lykas these were blank with rubber covers (from a classic mini). this time they have a grid pattern milled into them...

the quickest way to do this in large quantities was on the angle plate, set at 45 degrees...

the only down side to this is that they had to go in twice, once for each direction of cut...

and these are the pedal arms that they will be welded to...

also been a lot of different brackets made for this kit. most are already packed but these ones are waiting to be welded...

here we have a lyka cylinder block being tapped, its likely that this kit will go out before the brakes as i believe we are waiting for some bought in items, possibly flexi pipes ??

onto the wagon kits. it was said last week but there are still a number of items to make for the wagon kits, the main ones being the springs. this photo is about half the ones that need cutting and this includes springs for both types of wagon and the bowser...

the DCC kit 8 is almost done. this includes winch rollers, brake shaft and arms and water valve. in currently making the spring holder for the brake arms...

ive also had another delivery of 6inch foden front wheels to drill and bore...

and these water pumps have appeared from the manual section...

in the welding section... yeah, its 6inch foden boilers again  Laughing at least its in a different position this week. as you can see, the parts that were tacked together a few weeks ago are now being fully welded. a few seconds before this photo was taken, the welds around the stays were glowing hot...

you can see from this photo how tight it is to weld inside the fire boxes...

craig@STW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  He Who Must Not Be Blamed on Fri 20 Apr 2018, 7:24 pm

craig@STW wrote:

Nice. Smile

Eric
He Who Must Not Be Blamed

Number of posts : 42