October/November/December production photos.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

October/November/December production photos.

Post  craig@STW on Fri 06 Oct 2017, 4:01 pm

wow, cant believe we are in October. and so starts a new thread for the photos. only reason for this is it makes it a bit easier to find things in the future.

this week the machines have spent most of their time on the prep for the lyka kit1 parts that needed re-visiting. As said last week, on the first couple of kits we did not machine the full batch quantities due to the current sales numbers. All this has been seen before.

on the subject of Lyka kits, all the individual springs have been made up into sets...

other work on the machines has been on the 6inch foden horn-plate kit. all the horn plates are now drilled...

and i've started work on the main bearing housings...

and finished off the gear change levers...

work on the next couple of roller kits continues. the pile of forks is slowly growing...

and we have completed a one off steering chain guide assembly to prove out the design and now working on making the full batch...

also on the roller, the laser cut parts for the smoke-box kit have finally arrived...

craig@STW

Number of posts : 1239
Registration date : 2010-05-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: October/November/December production photos.

Post  Grier on Sat 07 Oct 2017, 12:53 am

So Craig are you telling us (those overseas customers) that none of our kits that we have been invoiced for have actually been made? And that kits 1-7 will not be palletized any time soon for shipment to us? I would like more details please.

Grier

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2015-05-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW on Fri 13 Oct 2017, 4:06 pm

that's not what im saying at all.  

We made enough complete kits "at the start of the run" for all orders that were sold "at the start of the run". As more kits are sold we increase the production quantities on all further kits and then have to go back and re-make any short falls on the current "stock" available on the early kits .

this is above the kits sold "at the start of the run" that are allocated and in storage for current customers .

In the case of kit one we have had to make an additional 3 rear axle frames only TO COVER NEW ORDERS. all other parts are in stock.

on complicated or expensive parts this can often happen. due to the cost of cylinder blocks, for example we often machine them in batches of about 15, where as simple parts will be made in batches of up to 50. As soon as we have sold or allocated the 15 kits that those cylinder blocks cover we will order and machine another 15.

in the case of the lyka, the current sales have been much higher than we first expected. originally we did not set out to create a large amount of stock. 

also not all our customers receive their kits at the same time. in-fact i believe we have around 3 separate "runs" on one current model.

please remember, the photos that i post indicate the items we manufacture, NOT necessarily the items we dispatch. dispatch queries should be aimed at Ian... our production manager.

Last edited by craig@STW on Fri 13 Oct 2017, 8:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
craig@STW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW on Fri 13 Oct 2017, 4:18 pm

To ease your concerns, here are photos of the kits that are in storage for our overseas Lyka customers  Cool

Last edited by craig@STW on Fri 13 Oct 2017, 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
craig@STW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW on Fri 13 Oct 2017, 4:26 pm

in all fairness to you guys, i believe the early Lyka kits were made during the months when the productions guides were not being posted.

i will post this weeks photos at home later tonight, sorry about that but we are about to close for today and ive run out of time.

Last edited by craig@STW on Fri 13 Oct 2017, 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
craig@STW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW on Fri 13 Oct 2017, 7:50 pm

evening all, OK, on to this weeks photos Very Happy

cylinder blocks. after finishing the batch of DCC blocks, Mark has moved on to a batch of SCC blocks...

onto the 4inch roller and i have just finished machining the steering chain guides...

and they have gone on for final welding...

work has also started on the smoke-box kit. i am told that kit 2 should go out early next week...

im also still busy on the 6inch foden horn-plate kit. the bottom part of the bearing housings are nearly done...

and i've just started on the top half...

and these are the gear-change lever locks...

just started on the lathes, BU4 front hubs...

and hub caps...

and a random part to finish. a Showmans winch roller support sitting in it's jig...

craig@STW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thank You Craig

Post  Grier on Fri 13 Oct 2017, 9:19 pm

craig@STW wrote:in all fairness to you guys, i believe the early Lyka kits were made during the months when the productions guides were not being posted.

i will post this weeks photos at home later tonight, sorry about that but we are about to close for today and ive run out of time.

Thank you Craig for the additional detail and explanation. You have address all of my concerns and look forward to receiving my first batch of kits soon.

Best Regards,
Grier

Grier

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2015-05-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 9:30 am

your welcome Grier. Cool

sometimes even silly things like the amount of material we buy can effect the quantities we make. we usually buy our bars in 3 meter lengths. some times if we need 4 metres we end up with 6 metres and if its a small part we can often end up making a lot more parts then we need. the semi circular clamps/washers that bolt to the end of the long, front to rear, chassis runner are a good example. we seem to have about 100 spares of these !!!!
craig@STW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top