Second steaming

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Second steaming

Post  chas12154 on Sat 16 Sep 2017, 5:45 pm

Weather permitting, with be steaming my engine for second time.
Had a couple of issues the first time, that I have hopefully doubt with.
A bit nerve racking, as I'm doing on my own this time. Will try a take some pics and a bit of video if all goes well.

Charlie

chas12154

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2015-01-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Second steaming

Post  Lynn@STW on Sat 16 Sep 2017, 6:51 pm

Take your time and don't panic.

Lynn@STW

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2017-07-19

View user profile http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 on Sun 17 Sep 2017, 4:22 pm

Afternoon all, I did get to steam my engine again today. Made some progress since last steaming but couldn't get engine to run. Had about 15lbs on the pressure gauge, but engine wouldn't run and was running out of water, so had to drop the fire.
Not sure why it wouldn't run, I thought it would of ran on 15lb.
I was thinking it might by the valve settings, could that be it, do you think?
Any advise would be great from anyone.

Charlie

chas12154

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Capricorn1 on Sun 17 Sep 2017, 6:33 pm

It might be tempting to try to get the engine turning over as soon as you see some pressure on the gauge but you're better off waiting until you have at least 60psi, the engine may be stiff due to the bearings being a little tight, the glands may be tight too. The lower the steam pressure the faster the water level will go down. What is the working pressure of your engine?

Capricorn1

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2013-07-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 on Sun 17 Sep 2017, 6:39 pm

Hi, as from memory I think the working pressure is 60psi. It might be 100psi, but not sure. We the water disappearing out of the bottom of the glass I had to drop the fire quick! It turns over fairly easily by hand.

chas12154

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Uridge on Mon 18 Sep 2017, 2:19 pm

Did it run on air ok? Should run at 15psi ok.

Has the regulator slipped?

One think I have learnt is the 2" scale take a lot of work to keep them going. By the time you have got a good fire going and keep it going, keep the pressure up and keep the water topped up and then topup the tender tank you don't have time to drive it. Its very exhausting work. I need to get a system going. Very Happy

Phil

Phil Uridge

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2015-05-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 on Mon 18 Sep 2017, 4:36 pm

Hi Phil
I know what you mean, you don't get a second to enjoy it!
Today I steamed the engine again. Today I got 50psi on the gauge and the engine ran for a few minutes, bofore yet again, running out of water. I had, at last, a smile on my face. After two and a half years work, it ran. Took a couple of pics but had no time to take video.
I'll have to look at the pump again and try in a few days

Charlie

chas12154

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Uridge on Mon 18 Sep 2017, 8:07 pm

Charlie,

I had a problem with pump. It would pump water but had no pressure. Water was leaking back to tank. Lynn found the problem, it was the gland nut was to long and was clamping on the pump body instead of the valve shaft. You may have the same problem.

I also had a problem with the cylinder lubrication one-way valve leaking water back into the oil. Tried to reseat the ball. Tried a new valve body but it still leaked so I replaced it with one from steam fittings, uses a o ring valve instead of a ball Had to modify the pipe work a bit but it works a treat.

I am still trying to get the injector to work. I have been trying Lynn's instruction for the last couple of Steaming but no luck yet. Hope to make a YouTube video when I do get it to work.

Good luck with yours

Phil

Phil Uridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 8:57 am

Hi Phil,
I have had problems with the injector too, I've been trying to get mine work too. They are very temperamental at the best of time.
I had spoken to Lynn about my pump, she said the same to me about the nut on the end of the pump. I filed that a bit and got the pump working, by spinning the flywheel by hand. The last steaming, yesterday, I didn't check, before firing, the pump was working. Before next steaming I will check before putting fire in. I had a problem with blowdown leaking, that I need to sort.
I think with my next steaming, I will put more water in and have a fuller glass, before putting fire in and hope I have more water in boiler when I get enough steam to run the engine. I think I didn't have enough time for the pump to get water in. The engine only ran for a few minutes.
Hope you have luck with yours too.

Charlie

chas12154

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn@STW on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 9:19 am

Hi

If you fill to 2/3 to 3/4 glass with engine level. This will give you plenty water up to 50psi. With the small size try not to be tempted to run before 50psi.

Remember the water level will rise up the glass as the water heats and expands. Then once pressure starts to build, the water level will reduce greatly and quite quickly (without using any) as the pressure pushes the expansion back down.

Yes you may go above top nut on the glass but as long as you are not running the engine during the steam up. You will not prime either.

I would also suggest using wood kindling to start with for test steaming. As it is much easier to control than paraffin/spirit soaked charcoal. When I am doing a post repair or maintenance test steam I always just use wood up to 100 - 120 psi. Slower action, no overshoot and dies out quickly (comparatively).

Of course once you are more practiced starting on soaked charcoal can be easier on small engines.

Hope this helps

Lynn@STW

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2017-07-19

View user profile http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 9:27 am

Hi Lynn,
Yes that helps. I didn't try to run the engine till I had 50psi on the gauge. The water disappears so quick! I had a good 3/4 glass of water. I might try a little more and wait till I get at least 50psi on the gauge before trying to run the engine. I know to much water can lead to the engine priming.

Thanks for your advise.

Charlie

chas12154

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re Second steaming

Post  RMc on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 9:36 am

I have all these problems but after visiting a show and discussing with other owner I have fitted a hand water pump in addition to engine pump and injector. This takes the panic out of running out of water before enough steam available for engine or injector. You are all right there is little time for anything else than just keeping it going although I have achieved 50m runs pulling two people.
Keep trying practice only answer.
Robert

RMc

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2014-11-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re Second steaming

Post  chas12154 on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 9:41 am

Hi Robert,
How did fit a hand pump to your engine? That is a good idea, would be very interested in knowing how you done that.

Charlie

chas12154

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Uridge on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 9:55 am

Robert/ Charlie
That's good to know. I watched a YouTube video were someone had fitted a small hp electric water pump to his 2". I think they use them in caravans up to 100psi 12v. Amazon sell them. He fitted it in the trailer/seat seem to work well.

Phil

Phil Uridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 9:59 am

Hi Phil
I'm very interested in finding out more about fitting a hand/ or elictric pump to my engine. You got any details about the youtube link?

Charlie

chas12154

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Uridge on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 10:39 am

Charlie,

https://youtu.be/lGO-FVT_s68

Doesn't show how it attached to the engine just how he got it fitted in the trailer.
I was thinking of making up a new pipe to replace the existing injector pipe to test out the theory.
I hope to get the injector side working before I do any alterations though.
Another theory I have is to make a trailer out if an electric golf trolley I have and don't use. It will aid the engine by pushing it, but this is long ways off.

Phil

Phil Uridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 12:38 pm

I took a look at the video, has the guy now made the tender obsolete? By using a auxiliary reservoir in the trailer. My opinion for what its worth is that our engines should work properly in the first place, especially water pumps.
    Mike

Mike King

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2014-09-04

View user profile http://www.mikekingphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 3:35 pm

can I give everyone a tip
I have been running models for 30 years and I always use BBQ charcoal mixed with paraffin or diesel
Put some charcoal in a air tight container and add a good amount of paraffin or diesel (DONT USE PETROL)
give it a good shake and leave it a couple of days
When you go to use it cram your fire box full and light it when it starts to burn down a bit add your coal
The problem with wood is you don't know if there is any resin in it and it can coat the tubes and its a real problem to remove as it is like glass and all your ash sticks to it
This method has never failed me

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2015-04-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2nd Steaming

Post  RMc on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 5:23 pm

I fitted the hand pump to the tender bulkhead across the cab with feed down through hole drilled on top of tank. I closed end of feed tube and drilled small holes at bottom to act as filter, The outlet I connected to the injector pipework just before clack valve with injector pipe fitted with valve at T junction to isolate it. The pumps have non return valves so injector steam does not go out through it. You close valve and pump. when you want to use injector open valve. my injector like all those reported is very temperamental although appears to work occasionally.
I use the soaked charcoal just as described above and can get steam in about 15 mins allowing blower valve to be opened and pressure rises rapidly.
Robert

RMc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2nd Steaming

Post  chas12154 on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 11:14 am

Hi RMc, what size of pump and pipe work did you use? Have you and pics of it I can see? I'm no engineer and have limited knowledge of sizes.
I'm interested in fitting a hand pump and still want retain the original pump and injector.

Charlie

chas12154

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2nd steaming

Post  RMc on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 1:51 pm

Can not work out how to post photos - suggest you E mail me sonamarg@btinternet.com
I am not an engineer either but pump was I think Poly models page 40 1/2" which has 3/16" pipe connections which I think are same size as other pipework on model but suggest you check with STW before ordering .I bought mine and got advice etc at a show.You will need globe valve T junction etc
Robert

RMc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2nd steaming

Post  chas12154 on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 1:59 pm

Thanks Robert, I have sent you email. Thanks for your help and I hope I can get a hand pump fitted to mine.

Charlie

chas12154

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2nd steaming

Post  chas12154 on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 2:08 pm

Was it pipe to pipe or tank to pipe? And what globe T junction? Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions

Charlie

chas12154

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2nd steaming

Post  RMc on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 5:23 pm

I think it was a tank to pipe pump but I will look again at it. Reason I am vague is that at the poly stand Doncaster show I told them what I wanted to do and they just said you need one of these etc.etc I cut injector pipe just short of Clack valve and inserted T piece.The new pump pipe was connected to the T and the injector pipe shortened to take a globe valve and connection onto T. I will take photo when rain goes off although living in Argyll beautiful as it is I am thinking about building an ARK next !
Robert

RMc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2nd steaming

Post  chas12154 on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 5:40 pm

Hi Robert, you must have read my mind. I have just replied to your email you sent, I asked for pics of how and where you plumbed in the new pipe work from hand pump, to the original pipe work on engine.

Charlie

chas12154

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top