First steaming yesterday

View previous topic View next topic Go down

First steaming yesterday

Post  chas12154 on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 1:57 pm

Yesterday I steamed my engine for first time. As expected there was a few problems that needs attention, but all in all went well. Had problem with water pump, water was leaking from the bore. What packing have you used to pack it? I had problems using the string type that was provided from STW, trying to get it to stay in and with so limited space, had to pack while off the engine.
Another problem was the whistle wouldn't stop leaking by. The regulator was so stiff too.
One more thing, the big end was slack, the bushes where tight together, should I take a little of each bearing to give some more adjustment.
The ashpan too, the back end wasn't tight to the firebox, has anyone had this problem and has anyone an idea of how to sort it?

Charlie

chas12154

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2015-01-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: First steaming yesterday

Post  Phil Uridge on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 4:59 pm

Charlie,

Congratulation!

I had problem with my whistle leaking. I re-seated the ball and also found the lever was stiff at the pivot point. Freed that off so it was very loose and now under steam its not leaking. whistle dosen't whistle though, just hisses

I purchase some more glad packing from Livesteammodels.co.uk. good quality and works well on my pump. Had a bit of a problem with the pump valve but thing that has been fixed with the help of Lynn.

I also purchased some new cylinder drain valves, work a treat.

Hope this helps

Phil

Phil Uridge

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2015-05-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 11:08 am

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your mail. Yes very helpful, have ordered some graphite yarn this morning. Live Steam Models is a very good place to know of, could spend a lot of money there lol.

Thanks again

Charlie

chas12154

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2015-01-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top