Injector troubles

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Injector troubles

Post  MrStationHouse on Mon 03 Jul 2017, 9:13 pm

My injector has always been brilliant, picks up nicely at any pressure - but this year it has been gradually getting worse to the point that it wont pick up cleanly. I can hear it is doing something but I cant get the feed to dry up. I have cleaned the filter and soaked the injector in vinegar for a while - I cant though see how to get the cones out to clean it properly.

Has anyone else had to clean the injector and if so what did you use?

How do I get the cones out to check. I can undo the bottom nut but cant see what to beyond that.

My clack is slightly passing steam on occasions I have tried reseating it, this has helped a little but it does still pass occasionally.

MrStationHouse

Number of posts : 309
Registration date : 2011-04-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Injector troubles

Post  lynnr on Mon 03 Jul 2017, 9:45 pm

Hi

If I remember correctly. The cone hides under the top nut.
If you are back feeding steam from the clack this will reduce the injectors ability to pick up. Check the ball lift as this effects pickup and running. Cleaning the seat of the clack should also help with pickup.

I clean my injector each winter using spirit vinegar. Some people also use the ultrasonic bath technology.

I can also recommend the "Injectorman" on traction talk. Not very expensive and he has a good track record of adjusting etc.
lynnr

Number of posts : 2861
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse on Mon 03 Jul 2017, 9:49 pm

Thanks Lynn,

do you soak your injector whole or take apart?

How long do you soak it for?

MrStationHouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Mon 03 Jul 2017, 10:16 pm

I just leave mine intact, leave for a day with agitation when ever I pass it.
lynnr

Number of posts : 2861
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Tue 04 Jul 2017, 7:30 pm

Since photobucket has went west I'm not sure if this will work but heres the injector in bits

Yep seems to work, so you can see the top cone that ....well comes out the top, then you have the bottom bolt which holds the bottom cone in and the small washer valve, this little copper washer valve is important, if this starts to get sticky on the bottom cone it wont pick up, also you can see how small the holes around the top of the bottom cone, again if these get bunged up again it will get very temperamental.
The cones can be a fiddle to get out if they havent ever been out, sometimes warming the outer case a bit helps.

The bit on the right is of course just the overflow unscrewed from the body.

Hope that helps

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 445
Registration date : 2013-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Tue 04 Jul 2017, 7:41 pm

MrStationHouse wrote:

My clack is slightly passing steam on occasions I have tried reseating it, this has helped a little but it does still pass occasionally.

Are you sure its the clack and not the globe valve, I've converted mine to PTFE because the cones were always leaking and a pain to turn off, so just stuck the cone in the lathe and paired it back to a flat before fitting a small PFTE washer made from some round PTFE bar.

Now the injector and lifter steam valves can be turned on and off with ones little finger and not even a whisp of steam from them.

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse on Tue 04 Jul 2017, 8:14 pm

Interesting- thanks.

I think you are right re the globe valve and changing to PTFE. I am sure it is the clack as if I turn it off the steam stops.

I am unsure whether just to soak in Citric acid for a couple of days as one or try and take it apart. What did you use to extract the cones.?

Best wishes
Simon

MrStationHouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Tue 04 Jul 2017, 9:46 pm

MrStationHouse wrote:Interesting- thanks.

I think you are right re the globe valve and changing to PTFE. I am sure it is the clack as if I turn it off the steam stops.

I am unsure whether just to soak in Citric acid for a couple of days as one or try and take it apart. What did you use to extract the cones.?

Best wishes
Simon

Sounds like leaky clack then, problem is its warming up the injector which again will cause it to be slack in picking up, if cleaning doesnt help then try leaving the water on for 5 seconds or so before putting the steam on, give the injector time to cool down.

As for getting the cones out, well the top one I put some rag round the top part and then used a pair of pliers to gentley twist it out, I did find I needed to warm the body a little with a micro blow lamp, but only a small amount.
The bottom cone I just tapped the base on some wood until it popped out, watch out for the little copper washer that slides up and down on the top of the cone.
Becareful with the cones they are critical and you dont want to damage them in anyway. I've stripped mine out twice in 3yrs now, both times due to a bit of crud getting stuck in the bottom cone as the input hole on the top of the bottom cone is very small and it doesnt take much to bung it up. Last time was due to a rogue bit of PTFE tape Evil or Very Mad one reason I try to avoid the stuff these days.

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse on Tue 04 Jul 2017, 10:20 pm

Thanks having seen the pictures I thought I would have a go and got them both out pretty easily. You were right the copper washer hardly slides at all. So will soak it for a few hours in citric acid which should clean it all up nicely.

I have tried running the water through but that still wont make it pick up cleanly. Lets hope it is the washer.

Thanks for your help. Will post a before and after picture of the cones etc.

Best wishes
Simon

MrStationHouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top