Another DVLA thread!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Another DVLA thread!

Post  Alan Grant on Thu 11 May 2017, 4:08 pm

Thought I'd open a new thread here for the SCC builders as the other ones are a bit older and the process has changed.

So I requested the speed certificate from STW and they sent through detailed instructions on how to register the engine. I contacted DVLA to request the VIN number and they have sent this though. It requires:

- The VIN should be stamped/embossed on the off side of the vehicle, in a clearly visible and accessible position
- It should be hammered or stamped in a way that it cannot be obliterated or deteriorate
- It should also be stamped/embossed on a plate which is attached to the vehicle

Once this is done I need a local garage to view the VIN number and sign the sheet to confirm it has been completed as DVLA requested. Then send this with the other requested paperwork as per the STW instructions.

Has anyone completed this and if so where did you stamp the engine and where did you fit the plate? I was thinking of putting the plate inside the coal bunker at the top.

Stamp kits are pretty cheap and can be purchased from Ebay, 4mm lettering should be sufficient I would have thought.

Alan Grant

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2013-09-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Another DVLA thread!

Post  TimV on Thu 11 May 2017, 6:49 pm

Hi Alan, I registered my engine about 3 weeks ago with no problems at all. I stamped a piece of brass with the vin number and mounted it in the inside of the tender. Cheers Tim
TimV

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2014-10-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

VIN no.

Post  simonbos on Mon 15 May 2017, 7:06 pm

Am currently trying to register my 4" Burrell. Would it be acceptable to stamp VIN no onto the hornplates?

simonbos

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-09-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Grant on Mon 15 May 2017, 10:04 pm

Tim, did you only put the VIN number on one place? My letter from DVLA specifically states two places! When I ask the garage to sign the papers they will look for it in two places.

Alan Grant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

VIN no.

Post  simonbos on Mon 15 May 2017, 10:24 pm

Seems the DVLA are telling people different things - my letter just states it must be marked "on the chassis, be clearly visible, accessible and marked so that it cannot be obliterated or deteriorate"

simonbos

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-09-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TimV on Mon 15 May 2017, 10:28 pm

Hi Alan, As far as i can remember the form that the garage had to sign said that i have to stamp VIN number directly onto engine or to a plate that would be permantley fixed to the engine. Im positive they only requested one plate, but maybe give them a ring to confirm what they require you to do,

cheers Tim
TimV

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2014-10-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Grant on Fri 15 Sep 2017, 9:22 am

Just received my number plate from DVLA. I had to fit a brass plate with the VIN number stamped on the inside of the coal bunker at the top. I bought an engraved plate from Ebay for a few pounds. I also had to stamp the inside of the Smokebox door. A local garage signed the letter from DVLA confirming the VIN in two locations. Provided all other documents as per the instructions from STW.

I'll get to drive it to my local event 'Steam @ Alford' on the 8th October!

Alan Grant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn@STW on Fri 15 Sep 2017, 9:30 am

Hi

A few others have stamped their engines on the bracket from the hornplates to the belly tank or steering bar.

Lynn@STW

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2017-07-19

View user profile http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top