Anyone done road registration lately?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anyone done road registration lately?

Post  mikero on Thu 27 Apr 2017, 11:52 pm

Every time I look into something, forms etc, has changed.

Mike
mikero

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2011-07-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone done road registration lately?

Post  TimV on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 3:46 pm

Hi Mike, I registered my Burrell about 2 weeks ago with no problems at all, the first thing you need to do is send an email to the DVLA requesting a vin (dvlavin@dvla.gsi.gov.uk) number they will also send you back all relevent paperwork that you will require to register. when you recieve the vin number you will have to make a plate with it on and attach it to your engine then you will have to get a authorised garage/dealer to see this on the engine and stamp and sign a form.
Paperwork needed:

V55/4
current hydraulic certificate
clear recent photos (front / rear / side)
writtent confirmation of maximum speed of vehicle
Receipts / invoices from the parts to prove they are new and not salvaged (these two letters can be obtained from STW)
V112G exemption of MOT form
Proof of ID
£ 55 fee.
Cheers Tim
TimV

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2014-10-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 5:38 pm

When I did the crane engine 2 years ago they gave me a vin number which I stamped on the top back edge of the hornplate. I did grumble to them about it as 10 years ago the boiler number was sufficient.
In the end they sent me the registration number before I could get a MOT garage to inspect it!
I rang the DVLA 8 times the other day as one engine I can renew the road tax online and the other I have to go to the Post Office. Each time the Welsh girl I spoke too had no idea what a traction engine looked like and none could explain why I can do one online & one at the PO. I suggested she Google traction engines & then gave up.
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 654
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 7:27 pm

Steve Traill wrote:
I rang the DVLA 8 times the other day as one engine I can renew the road tax online and the other I have to go to the Post Office.  Each time the Welsh girl I spoke too had no idea what a traction engine looked like and none could explain why I can do one online & one at the PO.  I suggested she Google traction engines & then gave up.

The reason is when it was registered I suspect the person never filled in the V112G.
Mines one that I have to do at the Post Office as the on-line system thinks it needs an MOT Rolling Eyes I'm of the opinion that it needs a V112G form sent in to get the system to add its exemption to the data base, however knowing what the DVLA are like the less they know about my engine and the less I hassle them the better or the next thing we'll find they will make it even harder or even try and ban us from using our vehicles on the road Shocked
For me my PO is only 10mins away and as there are 3 engines near it they are getting quite use to us trotting in with the manual exemption form and this year while an eye brow was raised due to lack of MOT they very quickly said "ah its a steam engine, doubt it would pass the emission test " Laughing Laughing Laughing I didnt even have to explain that it was steam Cool

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2013-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 7:53 pm

I have just registered my engine in the last few weeks and did some serious digging within the DVLA to get some solid clarification on what is required going forward.

I was contacted by phone by a representative from the Kits and Rebuilds (K&R) department. She knows her stuff regarding steam vehicles including the manufactures/classes etc. There has been a lot of change with things being centralised but she appeared to be the lead on this matter. There now seems to be clear protocols that will be followed when a steam vehicle is registered for the first time.

You will be required to stamp a VIN onto the engine. I suggested the smokebox front plate behind where the door shuts so when the door is closed the VIN is hidden. DVLA was happy with this. You will need a get an MOT garage to verify this has been done.

You will need written confirmation of maximum speed of vehicle
Receipts / invoices from the parts to prove they are new and not salvaged (these two letters can be obtained from STW)

You also need to fill out a V112/G to declare the vehicle exempt from road tax using the reason 29 Steam.
The database will then be updated electronically so the issues with MOT's will hopefully be eradicated.
This issue exists on engines that were not registered correctly and are not carrying a VIN.
I have been told that so long as you use the V112/G the database will get updated when the post office submits the paperwork.
(I'm still not convinced but will find out in 3 years time)

sonick45

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2009-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Tue 02 May 2017, 9:34 pm

sonick45 wrote:

You will be required to stamp a VIN onto the engine. I suggested the smokebox front plate behind where the door shuts so when the door is closed the VIN is hidden. DVLA was happy with this. You will need a get an MOT garage to verify this has been done.

Have been waiting 3 weeks for the VIN to come through, they told me could take up to 4 weeks for them to look at my request so it's not a quick process.   Biggest problem is that wherever it's stamped it's going to damage the paintwork.

I wonder if STW could leave a line on the boiler plate going forward so the VIN could be stamped on there without affecting the integrity of the boiler.
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1023
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H on Tue 02 May 2017, 10:53 pm

Rob, that is a cracking idea,I wonder if it is worth speaking to Steve and Dean before it's to late.
Steve H Very Happy
Steve H

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2014-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top