2017 Rallys

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2017 Rallys

Post  LiveSteam on Wed 19 Apr 2017, 10:27 pm

I thought I'd start a little bank of photos and the odd video of the rally's I've attended this year, just for interest, now in my 3rd year of rallys I'm now getting a lot more relaxed with steaming and general engine running so hopefully will have the camera out more.

So a few weeks ago we did the Basingstoke Model Engineers gala. Bit of history with this event as it was one of the events where I originally went some 4 years ago to discover more about engines and where I ended up being put in touch with the owner of my engine which I eventually purchased with the help and information of other members here, so we go back every year now as a bit of a pilgrimage and its a nice rally to start the season off with as its nice and laid back.

http://www.basingstoke-dmes.co.uk/

Steam raising in the morning

The Saturday late afternoon obligatory road run to a local pub

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2013-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2017 Rallys

Post  LiveSteam on Mon 24 Apr 2017, 9:05 pm

Nice little one day Rally in a back of a pub in Finchdean Hampshire https://www.thegeorgefinchdean.co.uk/

A 50/50 mix of 4" STW engines and scratch built and a nice 6" Allchin, a few classic cars and some smaller models. Met up with a number of the southcoast regulars again, and the weather changable but didnt rain and most of the time (apart from when I ran round with the camera  Rolling Eyes ) was sunny.

Theres a rather nice hill that one can play on which I had to gun it up  Laughing  although while cleaning the grate out was somewhat concerned about what looked like a small amount of melted lead  Shocked which made me wonder if I've cooked the plug coming back down the hill although I'd been very careful with the water and fire control before the return back down with the water still visable on the bottom nut and the fire was well mellowed , although I'd have thought if it had started to melt it would have blown out and I'm hoping it may have been something in the coal. I'll inspect it before next weekends outing.

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chrs777 on Mon 24 Apr 2017, 10:08 pm

Great photos, I will be doing some of that too soon ☺

Chrs777

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2016-12-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Tue 25 Apr 2017, 7:07 pm

Cheers, they should be better really but yet I almost forgot to take any Rolling Eyes

Looking forward to seeing yours out and about, my next one is a little one down at Ashurst station in the New Forest on bank holiday Monday.

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Mon 01 May 2017, 7:39 pm

Todays offering, a lovely little one day'er down at Ashurst Station in the New Forest to celebrate the stations 170th year.
Just the 5 of us but the small ones are always nice to do.
We were billed as "Miniature traditional Victorian train rides" by the pub lol!

I'm fairly sure the STW foden was burning car tyres  Laughing

....and so to the beer garden

Weather was kind to us with just one down pour about 3.30 which once finished signified time to call it a wrap.

Next stop Twyford Water Works on the 7th May

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Mon 08 May 2017, 9:19 pm

Well thats Twyford waterworks done Cool  bumped into and saw Rob & Tash Showmans work of art, stunning level of detail on it and is likely to be another show winner in my eyes, really not far off steaming, sorry if the wifes organ was a little annoying Rob Embarassed

As for the musuem it was really interesting and was much bigger than I thought and they had 5 visiting full size all in steam which was nice most of which were I think using it as a stop over to Bill Targett which is this coming weekend. Weather improved over the day and from a bit of drizzle as we drove over to it by 2pm the sun was blazing down and the place was packed with visitors.

My injector died at Ashurst last week which turned out to be a bit of PTFE tape stuck in the second cone ? dunno where that had come from as I'm pretty tape free these days, was worried it had come from my PTFE washer mod on the injector steam valve but having checked the washer it was looking fine and no sign of it breaking up so not quite sure where it had appeared from ? anyhow it was back on form and working perfectly again now, even gave it a quick descale as I was concerned it might be a bit scaled as I drive my windemere kettle off the overflow but in a year and a bits use it had very little scale on it.

Just a quick few pics

Bill Targett next.

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Mon 15 May 2017, 9:18 pm

And so to Rally No5 this year Bill Targett near Eastleigh http://www.billtargettrally.co.uk/

Another fabulous weekend with our steamy friends, the weather, once it sorted itself out on Saturday morning, was stunning, although where the minatures were meant we had some shelter from what seemed to be a bit of a bracing wind that was on the other side of the site.

Injector was back to its normal self working happily from 120psi down to 40psi, although the water control valve seems to be getting somewhat stiff so that needs addressing soon.

So a few standard shots of Saturday morning light up in the minatures

Saturdays line up in the arena

We always get a good selection of full size as well

One of the regular full size is the Garrett Showmans Tractor "Lady Oliva", last year I was lucky enough to help fire this engine from cold and it made me appreciate the ease of owning a scale engine, while I'm sure we'd all love to get our hands on a full size its not until you actually do you find that something as simple as the poker or rake goes from about 18" long and weighs about a kilo to somthing thats 8 feet long and weighs around 10 kilos and what comes out of the ash pan goes from 1/4 bucket to 4 or more good bucket fulls of ash.
A couple of minutes to rake and empty the 4" ash pan very quickly turns into 30mins of hard graft  Laughing  
Then theres the small matter of a small bucket with some sticks and a hand full of coal now being a several broken up pallets and a few bags of coal.......... just to get the fire burning.
However the principles are exactly the same and while I suppose I shouldnt be surprised it was a very interesting few hours.

Last a shot of Sundays line up, think we had about 21 minatures and around 10-12 full size.
Note the 6" gold medal convertable roller in the foreground on its maiden outing now as a roller, excellent model and quite a feat of engineering, been following the build of this one over the years.

Met a couple of potential STW kit builders over the weekend and again surprised 1/2 dozen folks with the fact that you could build an engine from a kit of parts, so who knows we may see some more builds in the future, I should be on commision  Laughing

Now a little break for month ...........phew

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick1020 on Mon 15 May 2017, 9:47 pm

"Quote"
One of the regular full size is the Garrett Showmans Tractor "Lady Oliva", last year I was lucky enough to help fire this engine from cold and it made me appreciate the ease of owning a scale engine, while I'm sure we'd all love to get our hands on a full size its not until you actually do you find that something as simple as the poker or rake goes from about 18" long and weighs about a kilo to somthing thats 8 feet long and weighs around 10 kilos and what comes out of the ash pan goes from 1/4 bucket to 4 or more good bucket fulls of ash.
A couple of minutes to rake and empty the 4" ash pan very quickly turns into 30mins of hard graft  Laughing  
Then theres the small matter of a small bucket with some sticks and a hand full of coal now being a several broken up pallets and a few bags of coal.......... just to get the fire burning.
However the principles are exactly the same and while I suppose I shouldnt be surprised it was a very interesting few hours.

You would love to own a full size just talking yourself out of it,
Any way loving the pics & you so lucky to have the amount of rally's to go to in the UK.
By the way what engine is yours LiveSteam

Mick1020

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2015-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Tue 16 May 2017, 6:59 pm

Mick1020 wrote:
You would love to own a full size just talking yourself out of it,
Any way loving the pics & you so lucky to have the amount of rally's to go to in the UK.
By the way what engine is yours LiveSteam

Yeah a full size would be awsome to own, but personally its not a single persons game as the work involved I feel is huge, I'd definately go for a half size and have been actively looking about. Yes I realise we do seem to have so many rallies to chose from over here, in honesty I suspect from around early March I could virtually live on the road and go to a different rally every weekend, just a shame work gets in the way of having steamy fun.
My engine is the rather tatty black 4" agricultural engine, I dont tend to photograph it as its not that photogenic Laughing I'm not big on polishing it, in my view the agriculturals were "working" engines......... quite handy I'm averse to the polishing mop Laughing

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  made-in-england on Tue 16 May 2017, 8:18 pm

Great photos from Twyford and B.T. I think I saw you with the engine by the railway chatting to our Chairman st B.T.. I'm building/built a 2" Agri.

Cheers

Will

made-in-england

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2012-07-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Tue 16 May 2017, 9:14 pm

made-in-england wrote:Great photos from Twyford and B.T.  I think I saw you with the engine by the railway chatting to our Chairman st B.T.. I'm building/built a 2" Agri.

Cheers

Will

That was quite likely me at the Railway at BT, it was the only thing I hadnt had a look at, I try to get round all the exhibits at any of the shows I go to and have a look at them.
I wasnt aware I was chatting to the Chairman affraid Laughing nice chap and had a good chat about stuff in general. Do come and say hi if you see me about.

One photo I missed, as it was on my phone, was the 2" Showmans being run outside the beer tent on Saturday evening on a trailer, yes a 2" showmans and the chap ran it continously for a good 3hrs, generating 8amps the whole time, talk about keen, it was definately a case of water, coal, ash, water, coal, ash etc etc the little engine worked its socks off the whole time along with its operator Cool

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top