What oil to use

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What oil to use

Post  chas12154 on Sat 15 Apr 2017, 5:56 pm

Evening all, I'm after a little help of what oil to use.
I am about to put together my water pump. Its says in the instructions, to use a thick oil on the ram, could someone recommend which oil to use.
And while I am asking about oil, which oil to use in big end and general oil for lubrication. Which cylinder oil too.
I'm sure someone can help

Thanks Charlie

chas12154

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2015-01-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What oil to use

Post  lynnr on Sat 15 Apr 2017, 6:40 pm

Not sure on oil on the ram as this would introduce oil in to the boiler over time? Which is not good.

There is a few comments on oil types. I use Hallett Cylinder and a separate bearing grade.
lynnr

Number of posts : 2844
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 on Sat 15 Apr 2017, 6:48 pm

Hi Lynnr
Thanks for your reply. Would you recommend not to use any oil on the water pump at all? Is it ok to run it dry?
The bearing grade oil ok to use as a general lubrication oil?
Any help you can give is much appreciated.
I have been watching your videos, they are very good and helped a lot with learning how to steam a model.

chas12154

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Sat 15 Apr 2017, 8:17 pm

My water pump has ran with the piston dry for 4 years, many hundreds of hours and hundreds of miles. I polished mine up and set the PTFE packing. Never had to adjust since.

I use the bearing oil on everything except the cylinder lubrication.
lynnr

Number of posts : 2844
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King on Sun 16 Apr 2017, 9:23 am

I think tthat Steve mentions oil in the water pump, just as a means to help insert the ram on assembly.
  Mike

Mike King

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2014-09-04

View user profile http://www.mikekingphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 on Sun 16 Apr 2017, 9:56 am

Thanks to both Mike and Lynnr for your help.

Charlie

chas12154

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What oil to use

Post  chas12154 on Sun 16 Apr 2017, 10:26 am

I have just been looking on the Heritage Steam Supplies website. They have a Morris Universal Steam Oil, it is for both cylinder oil and bearing oil in one. Has anyone tried this oil? Is says its for use on engines that run on less than 180psi, I'm wondering if this might be the oil to buy.
Any help would be appreciated.

Charlie

chas12154

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King on Sun 16 Apr 2017, 10:42 am

Take a look on my previous thread, what steam oil to use. Theres a few good suggestions on there.
Mike

Mike King

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2014-09-04

View user profile http://www.mikekingphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 on Sun 16 Apr 2017, 10:50 am

Hi Mike, just read your thread, think I'll be going down the Universal oil route too.
Makes sense as it makes things easier with just one oil.
And the Heritage Steam Supplies are near me I can get the oil and save on postage lol.

Charlie

chas12154

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 8:58 pm

chas12154 wrote:I have just been looking on the Heritage Steam Supplies website. They have a Morris Universal Steam Oil, it is for both cylinder oil and bearing oil in one. Has anyone tried this oil? Is says its for use on engines that run on less than 180psi, I'm wondering if this might be the oil to buy.
Any help would be appreciated.

Charlie

Been running my Agri on Morris's Universal for the past 3 years, one can does everything so nice and easy, no issues on fast road runs (if you can call an agri fast Laughing )

Reminds me I need to pop over there and grab another gallon soon as I'm down to my last few litres.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2013-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 8:30 am

Hi Livesteam

I have decided to go down the same route as you. I'll be going over to buy some oil on Wednesday.
They are quite local to me and will save on postage.

Charlie

chas12154

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 7:08 pm

chas12154 wrote:Hi Livesteam

I have decided to go down the same route as you. I'll be going over to buy some oil on Wednesday.
They are quite local to me and will save on postage.

Charlie
They are only 30mins away from me too so quite handy.

Leave some for me Laughing they should have some as we're coming into the rally season but it might be wise to give them a call just to be sure.

If you've never been there remember their main business is called Industrial Boiler Supplies Ltd and the Heritage Steam sign is quite small, if this works this should link to google and you'll see the main sign on the right and the very small Heritage Steam sign on the left https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.8705976,-1.2530315,3a,15y,115.76h,90.09t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssb4asxLvU-DRxIt0qs8r6w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Dont go in the recepition door but if you scroll the image right slightly you'll see the entrance door down in the carpark, you'll need to ring the bell to get in as well. But they are a friendly bunch.

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 on Wed 19 Apr 2017, 6:44 pm

Hi Livesteam,

Went over to Heritage Steam Supplies this morning, got my oil and oil can.
I did ring before I went and was told they have "bucket loads" of oil, so I have left some for you lol Very Happy .

Charlie

chas12154

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Wed 19 Apr 2017, 6:53 pm

chas12154 wrote:Hi Livesteam,

Went over to Heritage Steam Supplies this morning, got my oil and oil can.
I did ring before I went and was told they have "bucket loads" of oil, so I have left some for you lol Very Happy .

Charlie

Excellent thank you Laughing , I thought they would have plenty as its the start of the season.
Will we be seeing you at any of the local rallies soon ? I've got a busy month coming up with Finchdean on Sunday and then Ashurst, Twyford waterworks and Bill Targett before a little break.

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 on Wed 19 Apr 2017, 6:59 pm

I hope to get to a few rallies, not sure if it will be this year.
It's finding some local ones to go to.
Any information about the ones you have listed would be appreciated.

Charlie

chas12154

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Wed 19 Apr 2017, 7:32 pm

chas12154 wrote:I hope to get to a few rallies, not sure if it will be this year.
It's finding some local ones to go to.
Any information about the ones you have listed would be appreciated.

Charlie

You're spoilt for choice really, depends how far you want to travel, we tend to only go about an hours drive or so.
We've already done one at Bassingstoke the other weekend http://www.basingstoke-dmes.co.uk/Miniature_Steam_Gala.html
I'll PM the Finchdean one as thats a kind of private affair via invite
The Ashurst one is a one off organised by a friend for a celebration of the station on the May bank holiday
Twyford you can get details here https://www.twyfordwaterworks.co.uk/ its their spring Rally I am doing.
Bill Targett just round the corner details are here http://www.billtargettrally.co.uk/index.html Tom runs the miniature section and theres a contact for that section, we love this rally, the real ale tent helps I think  Laughing and theres normally a large contingent of full size in attendance
Later on you've got Dene Rally at Ropley which we call Bill Targett Pt2 as you'll find many of the same folks there and normally get an invite from the BT event.
Then theres Kinsley at Bordon Hampshire, very laid back affair no arena just a pleasent few days chuffing about.
We're aiming for the Weald of Kent steam rally this year as our new rally for 2017 after hearing all the great things about it.
Weald and Downland and Singleton West Sussex http://www.wealddown.co.uk/events/vintage-steam/
We then do Rudgwick in West Sussex, did that the first time last year and loved it http://www.rudgwicksteamshow.co.uk/ (this is the same date as GDSF)
Hollycombe the week after  http://www.hollycombe.co.uk/events/model-weekend
Then Amberly a few weeks later http://www.amberleymuseum.co.uk/september

So as you can see theres lots to choose from and once you start....... the problem is stopping  Laughing we started our first year with just two, the second year we did about 9, this year I've got a potential for 15, of course there is no guarantee getting in but I've only had one decline todate which was for Netley Marsh last year.
Of course theres also http://www.bursledonbrickworks.org.uk/index.php which must be just up the road from you, I've not done one there yet but hope to give it a go when I get a slot.

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 on Thu 20 Apr 2017, 9:14 am

Thanks for all the information Livesteam, I'll take a look. I doubt it will be till next year I'll be out and about with my engine, maybe catch around sometime.
Sounds like you enjoy yourselves at the rallies, with me only having a 2" I doubt I'll be chugging about but just in steam on a table.

Charlie

chas12154

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Thu 20 Apr 2017, 8:49 pm

chas12154 wrote:Thanks for all the information Livesteam, I'll take a look. I doubt it will be till next year I'll be out and about with my engine, maybe catch around sometime.
Sounds like you enjoy yourselves at the rallies, with me only having a 2" I doubt I'll be chugging about but just in steam on a table.

Charlie  

You'll be surprised, it amazes me how well some of the 2" models chug about towing passengers, you tube has plenty of videos of folks chugging around on that gauge

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 10:51 am

At the moment and for the foreseeable future, I'm on crutches, very unlikely I'll be able to get down that far to drive it!
Maybe one day I'll get to drive it about

chas12154

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 8:13 pm

chas12154 wrote:At the moment and for the foreseeable future, I'm on crutches, very unlikely I'll be able to get down that far to drive it!
Maybe one day I'll get to drive it about  

Sorry to hear that, as you say on a table/bench will still be fine and others do similar

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 10:43 am

Yes they have. I'm looking forward to seeing it run for the first time. Got 3 kits to go, I just hope it works after all the work I have done.
Hopefully be able to run it on air soon.

chas12154

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum