Rivet screws on wheels

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rivet screws on wheels

Post  steamlaser on Tue 07 Mar 2017, 1:56 pm

I have finally built my front and back wheels, but the spokes are currently held in by normal 3 mm nuts and bolts. How does one secure the proper round head rivet bolts whilst locking up the 3 mm nuts?
I will be putting a drop of "Locktite" on the threads of the rivet bolts, but fiddling on the tiny nuts will be a bit of a saga.
Many thanks

steamlaser

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2014-11-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rivet screws on wheels

Post  Mike King on Tue 07 Mar 2017, 3:06 pm

I held my rivet tops with a long nosed pliers, and i bent a small spanner to shape to be able to tighten. I also used loctite.
Mike

Mike King

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2014-09-04

View user profile http://www.mikekingphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Holding nuts for assembly

Post  Hamish Lonsdale on Wed 08 Mar 2017, 9:28 am

I found a short bar of mild steel (50mm) and drilled a hole into one end along its axis, just a bit larger than the nut diameter and 1.5 times deeper than the nut. I then put a small ball of Blu-Tac (a bit like plasticine but used in offices to stick paper to walls) into the hole. The M3 nut is then pushed in to the bar and is retained by the Blu-Tac, and the nut can then be positioned and the top of the thread located. It worked for me, and was of great help with the tender as well.
Best wishes,
Hamish.
Hamish Lonsdale

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-10-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Holding Rivet Bolts

Post  steamlaser on Wed 08 Mar 2017, 11:42 pm

Thanks for the simple but practical idea of using Blue Tack in a shallow cup. This should solve the problem of trying to put on small nuts on fine threads that are also covered in Loc-Tight. Using long nosed pliers on the domed end of the rivet will give hopefully enough grip to allow proper tightening.

steamlaser

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2014-11-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rivet screws on wheels

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top