Primer at assemby

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Primer at assemby

Post  elwood-59 on Sun 12 Feb 2017, 3:33 pm

Hi,

Just a quick question to all: When assembling, did you put primer first onto parts before joining, like at the tow strap to tender, beading to tender or the brackets to the belly tank, just to name a few.

I would assume that putting some primer between the mating surfaces, i.e. before assembly would avoid possible issues later on with moisture being dragged (kappilary effect) between the two parts. Or does the primer, high built undercoat & top coat provide enough protection, taking into account the finished engine will not be exposed to the elements as would be a real one or a car or any steel structure as such.

Thanks

Best Wishes
Elwood

elwood-59

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2014-12-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Primer at assemby

Post  Robfishman on Sun 12 Feb 2017, 3:52 pm

I painted and lined my tender first before fitting the strap. As my tender is blue and the strap Black. The beading I fixed after priming and before painting from memory. It's down to personal choice though I would imagine.
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1056
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 on Sun 12 Feb 2017, 5:49 pm

I stuck to the principle that any surface which is bare metal and was not going to be mechanically harmed in doing so got a thin coat of red oxide.
For example. All tender parts were red oxide'd before they were fitted together. the complete sub assembly was then zinc undercoated and top coated.
Some red oxide would be scrapped away when parts were fitted together but in my opinion would give more protection from rust than non at all.

sonick45

Number of posts : 454
Registration date : 2009-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum