To be or not to be

View previous topic View next topic Go down

To be or not to be

Post  poachermas on Sun 25 Sep 2016, 3:20 am

HI everyone.
Been following the forum pages in awe the last couple of years,most notably"crystal" "blackbeard","Frederick" and lynn's rebuild of Mikes road loco.
Now I find myself in the very near future in a position with retirement approaching and finances in place to embark on a stw road loco project
I'm just a humble mechanic,and whilst I like to think I can fettle and problem solve most things,I donít have access to milling,lathe machines.
The sales blurb says "hand finishing and paint is all that is required" but having read the forums I'm sure most people have had to machine various parts to fit, ie,reface diff gears,wheel hubs,cotter pins,reg mods etc,I appreciate these builds were from the first batch,and so suck it and see is understandable, but then if control model is used shouldn't everything be sorted before sending parts out.
I suppose the question I'm asking myself is in my everday life now,wrong parts,parts don't fit do I need to carry that over into retirement
Does anybody know if recent kits have had all mods,glitches ironed out.
Really my next step is to have conversation with Steve and Dean and let them talk me into it
I've really enjoyed reading the build diaries, great insight and inspiration, and great paint jobs and a credit to you all
So to be or not to be that is the question,or a boat pottering about on the broads lol
Marek

poachermas

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2014-03-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To be or not to be

Post  lynnr on Sun 25 Sep 2016, 6:54 am

Hi

I am Crystal's chaperone. When building her (first run 4" showman) there was 5 different issues with parts.

Couple parts had to be returned to factory for refinishing or just replaced by STW. All arrived toot sweet.
I needed to tap a hole on the block but did not have taps. STW loaned the required tooling.
Dynamo belt pulley was not centred so wobbled. New one arrived 2 days later. Old still on the shelf.
On the first batch DCC 4" a lot of builders got fixated on the differential gears rattling. I used the shims as per the instructions and installed as supplied. No machining what so ever. Yes if you have the engine jacked up and spin one wheel you hear the pinion gears rattle. But! Having done many hundreds of miles on the road and rally field. In NORMAL running the differential does not make any noise even full lock turning as the pinion gears are turning so slowly if at all. Yes I can hear a bit of a clunk if she bogs down and spins one wheel.

Yes there was a few jobs I did have the more advanced tooling to take care of. i.e. welding the holes in the gear shift locking plate, as mine would not line up. Otherwise STW would have sent one to me with my required hole pattern. Template was supplied.
I spay painted as I have the kit to do it. Craftmaster and other makers do very good brush paints with excellent results.

So to sum up. Yes there are people on the forum saying you need this or that. I don't have any of it. No lathe. No mill. No Pillar drill.
I built Crystal and as you have seen fixed and finished Mikes road loco with what. Hand tools. Only power tools used. Grinder and battery drill.
Also remember I have done all this in a standard size single garage. Blackbeard (Brian) and Tony King will confirm. A very compact work area.

I will state again. As it says on the advert "Fully machined kits. Hand tools only required to finish" If there is a problem. STW will fix as they have demonstrated on a number of occasions. Yes they are not perfect and nobody is. But they fix the issues quickly. Steve can be a bit grumpy (;-) but he does not bite and will, in my experience, bend over backwards to fit the issue at hand.

I can not find it at the moment. But I did do a complete list of tools used.

Hope this, some may read as a bit of a rant, helps belay the concerns over tooling.

lynnr

Number of posts : 2716
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

To be or not to be

Post  poachermas on Sun 25 Sep 2016, 8:35 am

HI Lynn
I've almost convinced myself to commit,although the painting and lining is a daunting prospect,like yourself the building would be taking place in a single garage which at the moment looks like a self storage bin.
I have enjoyed your videos,particularly first steaming,must be a terrific thrill watching them run for first time,after all the work that's been put in.
Now although I've always liked anything steam,I have very little knowledge in the workings of steam namely hp/lp injectors,water pumps etc.Is there any good books that would explain the principles you could recommend, I think I will join my local steam clubs to see if I can find a steam buddy.
Am I right in thinking, that at a later date if funds allow,it would be possible to turn her into a showmans engine,accepting paintworks up to scratch lol.
Marek

poachermas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Sun 25 Sep 2016, 8:45 am

Hi

I forgot to say. Crsytal is also my first steam engine. I had never been near anything like her before.

There are suttle differences in the boiler, belly tank and smokebox which would stop a straightforward conversion to showman.

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Sun 25 Sep 2016, 10:18 am

Thoughts from a non builder but owner who have met many STW engine builders on the rally field in the last two years.
I would say its a 50/50 mix of folks who have put them together with no more than what STW suggest and those who have access to a full workshop.
From what I've found there are two types of builders, the ones that want everything absolutely perfect and the ones that are happy with what is produced from the STW stable as it comes, which is very good, and if an item isnt right as Lynn states they have sent back and a new item is dispatched.
The perfectionists do seem to want to re-machine bits and bobs and at times even remake items, where as the folks who are happy with things as they are willing just spend a little more time fettling an item with more basic tools to allow it to fit.
What you have to bear in mind, which I think some of the perfectionists may forget, is the parts are not individually produced for each engine, they batch made and so some error is likely to creep in as its not like each item is not made bespoke for your engine.

As a side thought regarding turning it into a showmans, I dont see why you couldnt go for the showmans kit but ask if STW can supply it so it makes the road loco part of it (without roof) to start with, and then at a later date buy all the addition parts like the generator plinth and Generator, Olivers †and all the other parts that go to make the showmans.
I dont see why the engine wouldnt function and look very similar to the road loco at that stage without the additional bits ?? It might mean there would be a bit of re-painting etc and taking bits off the engine again to fit the extras, but I'd say it would be easier to start with the showmans kit than try and convert a road loco.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2013-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark on Sun 25 Sep 2016, 12:26 pm

I think I am right in saying the boiler for the showmans is different to the DCC boiler I think it is longer
mark

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2015-04-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Sun 25 Sep 2016, 3:33 pm

It would be possible to make up the SRL(S) as a RL, but the long boiler space without the exciter does look a bit odd. It wouldn't be too much of a challenge to make up a simple SRL similar to 'White Rose of York', using the RL components, but with either a slightly re-engineered dynamo bracket for the shorter smoke box or, alternatively, the longer smoke box of the scenic. One advantage of the longer smoke box is that it is better for cooking. There would obviously be some changes to the roof.

Tim

Tim Watson

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

To be or not to be

Post  poachermas on Mon 26 Sep 2016, 9:45 am

HI
Thanks everybody for comments re road loco to showmans,I was thinking out loud really, I can't fund the showmans,but thought at later date if funds become available conversion to showmans might be possible,didn't even know smoke box was longer,just shows up my lack of knowledge,again is there a recommended book,explaining in layman's terms the theory and operating of a dcc engine
Marek

poachermas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Mon 26 Sep 2016, 10:21 am

Come for a holiday in Scotland in the spring and I will teach you everything I know. What to do for the rest of the day might be a problem.

lynnr

Back to top Go down

To be or not to be

Post  poachermas on Mon 26 Sep 2016, 3:07 pm

Wow Lynn, might take you up on that,recently acquired vw t5 camper van,we spent a week in Oban about 10yrs ago,and loved it,took a ferry over to the islands to see the Eagles,wife caught her first trout at inverary,probably not spelt that correctly, my biggest memory was how light it was at night,10pm
Marek

poachermas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 11:16 am

poachermas wrote:........... I can't fund the showmans,but thought at later date if funds become available conversion to showmans might be possible...........

But you wouldnt need to fund the full cost of the showmans, you'd only buy the parts to produce a working engine which would look very similar to the RL. Once funds are available then you'd buy the bits to complete the build to the showmans.
Id have a word with STW and see if its possible, I cant see why not, at least that way you know you'll have a showmans in the end rather than having to mess about trying to make something that was never meant to be a showmans in the first place Wink

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2013-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:34 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum