final drive spacers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

final drive spacers

Post  lintonsteam on Wed 03 Aug 2016, 3:19 am

high any body tell me how tight these spacers are meant to be mine seem very tight tried phoning stw no luck
alex

lintonsteam

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2013-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: final drive spacers

Post  Simon B on Wed 03 Aug 2016, 3:37 pm

Hi

My spacers on the rear axle were very tight, any slight twisting and they jam but as I could get them on and off (just) I left them that way. If you mean tight as in difficult to insert the pins in the rear wheels, I made a tapered pin and knocked it in to align the holes as best as possible then machined a bit off the wheel collar to align the holes. The pin that goes through the collar needed one side of the head grinding off to allow it to clear the name plate on the wheel hub. I also found that the spacer on the side of the diff needed to be put on the inside rather than the outside as shown in the instructions or the final drive would not fit (see photos in my build thread).

I hope the above helps?

Cheers

Simon

Simon B

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2014-01-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Wed 03 Aug 2016, 3:44 pm

Mine was tight to get on the axle. I ran the dremel round the end of the axle as there was a slight bur on it and also round the inside diameter of the hole in the spacer to slightly increase it. Still quite a tight fit but all ok now.  For the main spacers I found I only needed one of them, none and the the diff locked up and two and there was a fair bit of play.  It's a bit trial and error which was needed and where.

For the retaining pin, I didn't need to flatten one face to miss the letters but know some have. I did however run a 10mm drill on a flex I drive through the retaining ring and axle as the holes were slightly out if alignment.

Robfishman

Number of posts : 944
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

final drive spacers

Post  lintonsteam on Thu 04 Aug 2016, 8:35 am

hi thanks for the advice have managed to get them on, key for RH side was nearly 1/2 inch to big had to grind down for it to fit
regards
alex

lintonsteam

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2013-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Thu 04 Aug 2016, 11:52 am

Yes, mine were the same on both sides.

Robfishman

Number of posts : 944