2" Burrell Boilers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2" Burrell Boilers

Post  Big Al on Tue 01 Jul 2008, 11:34 am

Well done Guys, all the best.

Not to put a damper on things though but would like some clarification

I assume that all 2" Burrell builders are in the same boat I am in that we have paid a deposit of 285 in January as first payment for the boiler
I assume the chances of seeing that are just about Zero.
Which brings me on to the price of the new boiler from yourselves, I would be pleasantly and extremely suprised if you would be able to supply the new boiler for 285. Any idea what the costs are going to be per kit to enable us to finish the engine? My wife would dearly love to know!

Alan

Big Al

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2" Burrell Boilers

Post  Steam Traction World on Tue 01 Jul 2008, 3:59 pm

Hi Big Al and everyone else.

You've actually raised an issue which I'm sure every 2" Burrell builder is interested in. Dean and I have been thinking about this alot recently (amongst other things) we don't have a firm conclusion yet but this is what we 're thinking. We obviously couldn't charge 285 per boiler, we would find ourselves in the Guiness Book of Records for the shortest serviving Management Buyout of all time. If you actually went to an independant boiler maker and asked them for a boiler suitable for a 2" Burrell their prices would be between 1600 to 2000 each, Shocked Honest, check it out for yourselves, oh and you'll probably have to wait for a year before you get one! We do recongnise that many customers have made a pre payment, some will get the opportunity to claim their payment back through their credit card company, others, less fortunate who paid by STO or cheque will not be able to. Some really nasty things have been happening to the price of copper and silver recently and that of course makes the problem worse. We have been fortunate in being able to purchase some of the raw material from the Administrators as part of the deal but this wasn't cheap and the amount of copper is not sufficient to complete everyones boiler. We want to try and reflect in our prices the fact that some have reclaimed whilst other have been less fortunate, this may have to be in some form of credit voucher offset against a future model, say a driving wagon for the 2" Burrell. We do want to be seen to be fair to everyone and not use the situation for profitering but the business does need to be viable.

As we've said in a previous post, it's very early days, we will be writting to all customers just as soon as we have some firm information. We intend to do this within the next couple of weeks. A friend said to me over the weekend that there's only one way to make a small fortune in model engineering and that's to start off with a large one!

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World

Number of posts : 886

View user profile http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE on Wed 02 Jul 2008, 11:25 am

HI STEVE,
FIRST,AS I MENTIONED ELSEWHERE ON THE FORUM, WELL DONE ON THE BUY OUT AND THE BEST OF LUCK IN THE FUTURE.
YOU MENTION THAT YOU HAVE BEEN ABLE TO SECURE SOME RAW MATERIALS. IN THE ASSETS DID YOU SECURE THE PART BUILT BOILERS THAT WE WERE SENT A PHOTO OF, AROUND APRIL TIME-ISH ?
HOPEFULLY YOU HAVE BECAUSE THIS WOULD BE A GOOD START FOR YOU, AND THE 2" BUILDERS.

REGARDS
BRUCE

P.S ARE YOU GOING TO BE AT THE GUILDFORD RALLY ON THE 12/13TH ?

BUNGLE

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2008-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World on Wed 02 Jul 2008, 4:00 pm

Hi Bruce

Yes, we did manage to get hold of the part built boilers. We're trying to arrange supplies of some silver solder, as soon as we get some, hopefully in the next week couple of weeks, we can then re-start construction. There's only about 15 or so left, a number were scrapped out because of distortion. Some new, hopefully better, jigs have been made. They were about to be tried just before MW went into Admin.

I'm booked into Guildford, but that might be the week we re-start production. We'll see how things go.

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE on Thu 03 Jul 2008, 9:52 am

HI STEVE,
THANKS FOR THE INFO, CAN WE HAVE ONE FROM THE NEW JIGS IN THAT CASE !!!
HOPE YOU CAN MAKE IT TO GUILDFORD, AS WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A CHAT WITH YOU, BUT I KNOW ONLY TO WELL THAT RUNNING YOUR OWN BUSINESS IS 24/7, AND THEN SOME MORE !!

THE IMPROVMENT IN INFO FEEDBACK SO FAR, IS A VAST IMPROVMENT OVER MW'S NON-EXISTENT TYPE, WELL DONE, KEEP IT UP.

REGARDS
BRUCE

BUNGLE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2" Burrell Boiler Production

Post  Steam Traction World on Thu 17 Jul 2008, 8:02 am

Hi 2" Burrell Builders,

Just to prove we are doing something, here's a photo of the first four 2" Burrell boilers we have completed. They obviously still require machining, cleaning up and testing but things are progressing. Thank you everyone for your patience.

Dean

Steam Traction World

Back to top Go down

2" Burrell Boiler Production

Post  Vapor on Thu 17 Jul 2008, 8:59 am

Hi Dean,

Well it's nice to see a real boiler instead of the mock up, they are looking very good and I'm glad to know my name will be on one of them.

When it gets to my turn in the queue let me know as I would like to collect it and sample a cup of your tea in exchange for the missing stamp Laughing

Vapor

Number of posts : 375

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE on Fri 18 Jul 2008, 12:01 pm

ARE THE BOILERS IN THE PICTURE FROM THE NEW JIGS THAT STEVE SPOKE OF, OR THE OLD JIGS ?

BRUCE

BUNGLE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World on Sun 20 Jul 2008, 3:22 am

Hi Bruce,

You'll be pleased to know that these boilers are from the new jigs.

Dean

Steam Traction World

Back to top Go down

2" Burrell Boilers

Post  burrell1 on Sun 20 Jul 2008, 1:32 pm

I visited the factory on Saturday and saw these boilers, ready to be completed. They are looking really good. I was also shown some boiler parts made ready for the construction of further boilers.

burrell1

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-06-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor on Fri 25 Jul 2008, 6:58 am

Hi Dean/Steve,

How are we progressing with the boilers when should I be bracing myself for one (or two) of your cups of tea (or coffee).

Quick question never having built a Burrell or any other traction engine before how is the cylinder block fixed/bolted to the boiler, I assume that some form of machined flange is silver soldered to the boiler first?? I was looking at the bottom of the cylinder the other day and realised it followed the boiler profile and was not flat like the POP cylinder/boiler arangment.

Ian

Vapor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  miller on Sat 26 Jul 2008, 3:30 am

just to give an idea of the work involved in machining the boilers....

the cylinder block is bolted straight onto the boiler using the holes you can see in the pictures above. its a very good fit as the holes are actually machined on the CNC mill before the final boiler assembly.

to machine the mounting stays on the boilers, a special cylinder block has been made with a shaft running through the centre of the bore. each boiler has this cylinder block attached and the whole thing is then suspended on a precision fixture that sits on the machine bed.

each boiler is set so the cylinder block is square and in line, its all double checked and is very accurate. then the boiler stays are machined square and relative to the cylinder block. the whole thing is then turned over and a second jig lines the other side up with the first.

OK, that's not the best description, but it actually works out very accurate.

that's the reason that a new set of boiler making jigs was made, as the machining was showing up the limitations of the silver soldering. this is not meant to be a criticism to the boiler maker as he actually worked very hard to make these boilers as accurate as possible. the good news is, the first boiler out of the new jigs machined up perfectly.

because of the very nature of the way the burrell is put together, a lot of time is spent in getting the machining correct, and because of this each boiler is effectively a one off, you can't just load them into the machine and walk away. each one can take the best part of an hour to machine (as you can imagine, due to all the work gone into making the boiler, its best to take time to get it right) and therefore they can take a considerable amount of time to "complete"

be patient, I'm sure they will be worth the wait Very Happy

miller

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2008-06-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World on Sat 26 Jul 2008, 5:28 am

Hi All,

The description given by miller is accurate in the way that MW's were machining the boilers, however, i have manufactured new jigs and fixtures which are similar to the one's used when we machined the 4" boilers and they are different to the one described above. Steve and I both felt it would be worth the initial effort to ensure the boliers were spot on.

The process is still time consuming as miller explained but we are hopeful of having the first batch of maybe 20 boilers ready at the end of August. We will be in touch after the Pickering rally about pricing and delivery schedule.

Dean

Steam Traction World

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE on Fri 01 Aug 2008, 8:46 am

Pricing is always a problem, too dear, and people will simply bail out, too cheap and you have trouble with profit margins. I hope the guys try their hardest to keep roughly in line with MW prices, as that was what we all signed up for in the first place.

If the boilers are ready end of August, or before, maybe we could collect ours at Dorset.

Bruce & Brian

BUNGLE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor on Fri 22 Aug 2008, 6:15 am

Hi Dean/Steve,

I feel sure everyone is dying to ask how are we progressing with the boiler making are we still on schedule?? Smile

Vapor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World on Sun 24 Aug 2008, 4:20 am

Hi Ian,

Sixteen boilers have now been completed, ten are now in packing ready to be boxed up and despatched. the other six have been completed but still require final testing, trying between the hornplates and cleaning up. These should be completed by mid next week. The final four to achieve our target of twenty by the end of the month have been sub assembled and should be available to despatch during the first week of September.

Regards

Dean

Steam Traction World

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor on Sun 24 Aug 2008, 5:06 am

Hi Dean,

Well thats very good news for all of us, I assume that I may get one of the last one's which will be sometime in September so if it's OK with you I would like to collect it and at the same time have a chat and a cup of your best, please let me know if that will be OK.

Ian

Vapor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2" Boiler

Post  Big Al on Tue 26 Aug 2008, 12:40 am

Dean/Steve

Received your letter about the 2" boilers when in it you stated that those who have paid in advance would get first delivery.

I would like to get cracking again and pay for one but have a problem. I don't know what to do re payment. I am willing to pay cheque but as your telephone line and Email address is down I have no idea who to make it payable to, where to send it and would I get one of the first batch anyway?

If you had a contact number I would discuss this with you but as it appears at the moment this is the only means of communication.

Big Al

Big Al

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  forge on Wed 27 Aug 2008, 2:26 pm

Hi, Dean/Seve

Could i put my name down for a boiler please (if i am not already on your list). I would like to get started again with building at end september / start of october. Can i buy boiler as one off payment then start back on monthly bills for the remaining kits paying as they become available. I think i still have a problem with the piston / cylinder tolerences so a visit to pick up the boiler would give me the chance to check these with you.

thanks jon
Jonathan Thrower

forge

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-07-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE on Tue 02 Sep 2008, 7:42 am

WAS AT DORSET FOR FOUR DAYS LAST WEEK. IT WAS GOOD TO CHAT WITH STEVE FACE TO FACE (FIRST TIME SINCE HIS MW DAYS). AT THE SAME TIME I PICKED UP OUR BOILER, STW USED IT ON THEIR STAND FOR THE EVENT, SO GOT IT SUNDAY AFTERNOON (I STROKED IT EVERYDAY AT DORSET THOUGH !!!! Laughing ).
BACK TO WORK THIS WEEK WITH A MOUNTAIN OF GREIVE TO SORT OUT SO WON'T GET TO PLAY WITH IT FOR ABIT Evil or Very Mad . STW HAVE STILL GOT TO FORWARD THE PLUG, SOME FITTING AND THE INSTRUCTIONS (THAT STEVE SAID HE HAS STILL GOT TO WRITE UP YET), BY EYE THE BOILER LOOKS O.K, GUESS WE'LL SEE IF AND WHERE THE PROBS ARE WHEN WE ALL GO TO PUT IT TOGETHER. I THINK IF ANY, THEY SHOULD ONLY BE SMALL ONES.
BE NICE IF ANY OF US DO FIND A PROB, WE DISCUSS IT HERE, AND OVER COME THEM AS A GROUP, WITH THE BACK UP OF STW.

BRUCE

BUNGLE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re 2" Boilers

Post  Big Al on Tue 09 Sep 2008, 12:55 pm

Heard the news they were near completion, paid the money, couldn't wait for it to be posted (next day) So as I was in the area, well nearly, picked it up, got home, put it on the breakfast bar to admire over dinner, wife had me carrying on with the decorating, but she went out to stitch and bitch, so, knowing you can't decorate with the light fading Very Happy gave that up and hid myself in the garage.
Result was I put all the parts I had together, pleased to say fitted spot on!
Hopefully have loaded photo on the site for all to see.

Providing world doesn't end tomorrow when they turn that machine on in Switzerland, I am looking forward to getting cracking with it (Subject to finishing decorating first)

Well done STW, excellent quality and fit. Hope the rest of you are enjoying it as much as I

Cheers

PS. You only get the boiler and Certificate, all the add on bits like nuts, studs, plugs etc are to follow.

Last edited by Big Al on Tue 09 Sep 2008, 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add a bit more)

Big Al

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE on Wed 10 Sep 2008, 2:21 pm

BEEN SUCH A UP HILL STRUGGLE SINCE I GOT BACK FROM DORSET, THAT TONIGHT WAS THE FIRST TIME I HAD A HOUR TO SPARE TO LOOK AT THE BOILER. AS IT WAS THE ONE THAT WAS ON THE STAND AT DORSET, IT NEEDED A COUPLE OF SLIGHT ADJUSTMENTS, FROM THE HANDLING THERE, DONE NO PROB. WHAT I DID NOTICE WAS THAT ON OURS (MAYBE ALL) LEE HAD NOT DE-BURRED THE INSIDES OF THE TUBES, THIS WAS EASY TO DO AT THE SMOKEBOX END, BIT TRICKY AT THE FIREBOX END, BUT I FEEL WORTH DOING. Smile
ALSO WRAPED THE CORK TYPE LAGGING AROUND BOILER, AND PLACED THE ZINTEC (ERRR!!) CLADDING OVER THE TOP (LAST MW KIT) GOING TO NEED ALOT OF FETTERLING TO GET IT TO SIT NICE. Sad

HOW ARE OTHERS DOING ??

REGARDS
BRUCE

P,S ANY 2"er's GOING TO OLD WARDEN ??? I'LL BE THERE FROM SOMETIME FRIDAY

BUNGLE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re 2" boiler

Post  Big Al on Thu 11 Sep 2008, 3:14 am

Bruce

Thought you had to do decorating? How did you manage to sneak away?

Went in garage to see wife had thrown blanket over engine covering it up. Went in and thanked her for looking after it and making sure it didn't get cold. Wrong! She said she was sick of the sight of it and if I dared touch it before decorating's done she'd throw it out! (She'll be lucky with that weight, but might be worth enlisting her help if she thinks she can lift it when I need to move it Embarassed )

Might be at Warden if weather nice and wife wants nice ride in the Country on Mystery tour but am also looking to go to Quainton at the end of the month. Should be ok by then, looks like a good show and is billed as a traction engine rally there will be a 4" burrel there that's owned by an Aylesbury club member.

Thanks for tip on boiler, didn't really have a hard look at it in my haste to assemble it

All the best Smile

Alan

Big Al

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE on Thu 11 Sep 2008, 9:04 am

HI AL, GOT LEAVE FROM THE DECORATING, BY CLAIMING I HAD SWINE FEVER-I.E. I WAS PIG SICK OF DOING IT !!! Very Happy

OLD WARDEN WILL BE GOOD, THE SUN WILL SHINE, WE'LL ALL HAVE OUR BEST SUMMER DRESSES ON (I ONLY DO THAT A WEEKENDS !!!!!), AND ALL WILL BE ROSEY IN THE WORLD.

GOT TO GO, HERE COMES THE NURSE !

BRUCE

BUNGLE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:16 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top