Length and trailer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Length and trailer

Post  ejparrott on Thu 05 May 2016, 10:19 am

One step closer.... bounce

We took a step closer yesterday to getting our 4" Road Loco - the wife has landed herself a new job, with an all important decent pay rise, which means we're that little bit closer to going down to Daventry. We'll be able to get some things done at home now that have been waiting for lack of funds...the first up is a new conservatory, and the second is a new garage, which we need to be able to house the engines. I do still need to finish my current build, which is a 7.25" Gauge Manning Wardle, but now that I've got my CNC mill up and running at last, that's starting to make really good progress.

Anyway, the point of the post!

I'm going to need a new trailer for the MW anyway, and there's absolutely no point me having one for the engine and one for the RL. I've got the overall length of the engine as 83", or just shy of 7'. I'm thinking of an 8' trailer, this will give me about 2' of spare space with the MW, and about 13" spare for the RL, would this be enough? I'm thinking it would travel chimney first, front wheels hard to the headboard, with the front towing eye slotted into a substantial bracket and anchored via it's pin - as my MW will be - with a strap over each wheel, then anchor the rear from the towing bracket via turnbuckles, maybe strapped over the wheel also.

Sensible?

Can't really go bigger than an 8' trailer, lack of storage space for anything bigger. My other option would have to be a drop down headboard for when the RL was traveling, still anchored in the same way, but with the front axle out over the A frame - which I might still look at anyway.

Cheers

ejparrott

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2012-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Length and trailer

Post  Mark the spark on Thu 05 May 2016, 11:14 am

Don't forget to allow room for a wagon or water cart if your going to have one
I to am now looking for a trailer as my current one will not be big enough for my engine and a decent size water cart and possible
wagon
Mark

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2015-04-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Thu 05 May 2016, 12:50 pm

Crystals Pram is a Ifor Williams Lm105. 10x5.5. 
I have the 8ft aluminium ramps and they are excellent. Light and no visible deflection on loading.

lynnr

Number of posts : 2688
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  ejparrott on Thu 05 May 2016, 12:59 pm

Wagon's and water carts I've not much plans for at the present time. I do have 109 Land Rover's (yes..plural!!) though so plenty of room in the back for wagons. Much longer than 8' and I'm going to have problems storing it that's the problem.

I've been trawling the IW website and also Brian James, looking at all the options. I've got dealers for both relatively local, so as well as that I'll actually go down and talk to the reps and see the things for myself, hopefully.

ejparrott

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Thu 05 May 2016, 1:05 pm

Forgot to say. The 5.5ft wide allows DCC engine with the Steam Traction World wagons to sit side by side.

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL on Sun 08 May 2016, 1:10 pm

If you are going to leave the seat arrangement fitted to the engine you will need to add that on to the length of the engine another 15"
Ian

IanL

Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2011-07-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Sun 08 May 2016, 1:22 pm

I turn Crystals seat upside down and strap to the roof.

lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  ejparrott on Mon 09 May 2016, 9:27 am

IanL wrote:If you are going to leave the seat arrangement fitted to the engine you will need to add that on to the length of the engine another 15"
Ian

15"...I think that'll have to come off for transport then!

Had a look at the LM, I think they're really going to be too tall for my 7.25" engines. Had a look at the General Purpose range and I think they might be better suited to my cicumstances. 8' internal length seems to be no problem, I'll just have to check on the overall width to make sure it'll fit the storage space for it. 4'6" looks like a possibility, will need to check whether I can get my engine and driving truck in side by side at that. I know it'll be fine for the RL.

Also still to check out Brian James in more detail, and Indespension.

ejparrott

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Tue 10 May 2016, 1:29 pm

The Road Loco fits a treat on the Ifor Williams mini digger trailer.  It's low down, ramps built in, tows like it's not there & you can stand anywhere without breaking anything.  The digger bucket mount is perfect for mounting a winch and is easy for one person to push around.

Steve Traill

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ejparrott on Wed 11 May 2016, 9:52 am

I did wonder about the mini digger trailers, but I don't think they'll work with my 7.25" loco, unless I can easily swap the ramps on and off and add some sides to it - although sides could be added and remain fixed even for the RL.

I do need to go to the club and measure the lowest height that our lifting table will go to also. It doesn't go to floor level, and there's one or two trailers that are really too low for nice easy unloading.

ejparrott

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Step closer

Post  Steam devil on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 2:29 pm

Hi, just wondering if you have you purchased your engine from STW yet? I am half way through purchasing the kits for a DCC road loco ( not Started to build) & may have to sell due to personal problem, wondered if you would be interested in reduced price purchase.

Regards

SD.

Steam devil

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2016-02-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gwr1475 on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 4:28 pm

Steam devil wrote:Hi, just wondering if you have you purchased your engine from STW yet? I am half way through purchasing the kits for a DCC road loco ( not Started to build) & may have to sell due to personal problem, wondered if you would be interested in reduced price purchase.

Regards

SD.

I have sent you a PM

Mark

gwr1475

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2012-11-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ejparrott on Mon 27 Jun 2016, 3:31 am

I'm not ready to start yet, I need to finish my 7.25" loco before I can think about building a TE. I will need to get a new trailer for the 7.25", but I don't want 2 trailers, and I'd rather buy once, so if I get the info now for the TE that I want, I can make it suit the 7.25" first and the TE later.

ejparrott

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:44 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top