Hornplate fitting

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hornplate fitting

Post  JayBee on Wed 02 Mar 2016, 10:27 am

I am working on the hornplate assembly as rough assembly and would welcome a little advice.
Mocking up the assembly I cannot see how the hornplates fit to the tender. I have a dimension of 288mm on the inside of the tender but only 283mm on the outside of the hornplates at the rear. I cannot see how I will be able to pull the tender and tow straps in the 5mm. At the moment the tender sides are nice and uniform. Could someone please give me a dimension that I shoud be working to.

Also before I take the angle grinder to the front spectacle plate. To fit neatly I will have to trim the right hand side to keep the hornplates parallel.

Thanks
John confused

JayBee

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2015-11-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hornplate fitting

Post  lynnr on Wed 02 Mar 2016, 10:48 am

Hi

I would do nothing at the moment as the axial shaft housing and boiler will dictate the correct width.
Best also wait until the boiler is on site. Then if needed things can be adjusted. Everything fitted on crystal so not sure why you would have 5mm descrepencies.

lynnr

Number of posts : 2716
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  JayBee on Wed 02 Mar 2016, 11:09 am

Hi Lynn,

Thanks you are probably right, I have just been worried about having to destroy all the paintwork doing late on fitting. If that happens you may hear the scream of frustration from where you are.

Cheers,
John

JayBee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Wed 02 Mar 2016, 11:13 am

Hi

When I fitted. I went right to left across the horns. Hung the right. Fitted all the cross parts. Then fitted the left. Tender slipped on.

lynnr

Number of posts : 2716
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  JayBee on Wed 02 Mar 2016, 11:40 am

Its just difficult to see how the rear spectacle will work without there being a gap between it and the hornplate. I have history because I did have to do a bit of minor adjustment to one of the rear wheel to get the right amount of offset. Steve sent me some slightly longer spokes but in the end it was easier to modify the original ones.

I elongated the holes otherwise the hub was being pulled too far across.

John

JayBee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:50 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top