Looking Fantastic John

Mick1020

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2015-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cumbrian 4" Showman

Post  ejparrott on Wed 03 May 2017, 11:31 pm

Under the UK Model Engineering club scheme there is no reason to have the cladding off for a steam test. Can't comment on commercial inspectors.
ejparrott

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2012-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Wed 03 May 2017, 11:47 pm

I guess as ever it depends on the boiler inspectors qualifications, but I read somewhere that the 4" boiler caracity was to big for most model engineering clubs to test, so we would need a commercial test? I could be wrong though.
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1023
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  JayBee on Thu 04 May 2017, 7:14 am

At the moment I am still looking for an inspector as the local clubs that I have spoken to only cover Copper boilers so are not covered for the STW miniatures.

JayBee

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2015-11-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Thu 04 May 2017, 9:19 pm

Hi

My commercial (RSA now British Engineering) inspector wanted the cleading off for first inspection as it is a new boiler to the inspector. Since then all that he wants for cold inspection is, safety valves off, sight glass opened and a rod to show clear passages, pressure gauge off to test against his calibration, fusible plug out for inspection and all plugs out for boroscope.

He did complain the first time about boroscoping the boiler. My scope is better than his.

Once the boiler is due its next hydraulic, depending on internal cold inspection will be between year 7 and 10. Then the cleading will need to be off.

"In service" test. Is visual inspection all round for steam leaks. Lift safety valves with accumulation test. Sight glass blowing routine. Demonstration of both mechanical water pump and steam injector for water gain in the boiler.
lynnr

Number of posts : 2823
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  JayBee on Fri 05 May 2017, 7:42 am

Thanks that is helpful

JayBee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ejparrott on Sat 06 May 2017, 8:26 am

Under the club scheme we can test boilers up to 500bar/litres. We can go to 1100 Bar/Litres if we inform our respective federation that our inspector is doing it. That's a big boiler. If you took 180psi as an operating pressure, the boiler would have to be 40 litres capacity to tip over that mark, then to go to the 1100 absolute limit it would have to be 90 litres. Raising the pressure reduces the volume allowable, lowering the pressure increases the volume allowable. To date we at Rugby haven't bothered registering ourselves as over the 500bar/litre limit.
ejparrott

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JayBee on Sun 21 May 2017, 10:03 am

ejparrott wrote:Under the club scheme we can test boilers up to 500bar/litres.  We can go to 1100 Bar/Litres if we inform our respective federation that our inspector is doing it.  That's a big boiler.  If you took 180psi as an operating pressure, the boiler would have to be 40 litres capacity to tip over that mark, then to go to the 1100 absolute limit it would have to be 90 litres.  Raising the pressure reduces the volume allowable, lowering the pressure increases the volume allowable.  To date we at Rugby haven't bothered registering ourselves as over the 500bar/litre limit.

Thanks for the detail and sorry for the delay. Is the boiler volume based on total volume i.e. with or without the deduction for the fire tubes and stays. By my quick calculation my boiler is 507Bar Lt based on the total volume but only 430Bar Lt if I deduct the stays and fire tubes. This will be the total water volume.
This is not far from Lynn's video giving I think 10 gal to fill the boiler from scratch.

JayBee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JayBee on Sun 21 May 2017, 10:23 am

Work has now moved on to the drive and to the crank assembly. The gears required little other than dressing all the sharp edges and painting for those on show.

Alignment of the shaft took a little tweaking and time to get running nice an smooth.All the mating gears tested and checked for fit and movement. Once sorted final coat applied whilst off the engine and then back into place.

Crank trial fitted and a little lapping brought everything along well.

Valve eccentrics were all numbered and kept strictly in individual sets and orientation so that they would go back exactly the same each time.

And a few happy hours later everything is smooth when tested off the engine. There may be further work once everything is in alignment on the engine. These would look fantastic all polished up but I am giong for a painted finish to be closer to Ex Mayor's scheme.

Four little oil pots.

And the the final look to see things so far. I will have to wait to fit the eccentric linkage.

JayBee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Sun 21 May 2017, 6:03 pm

Looking excellent!

The water measurements I did was with a 2pt jug so should be very close. I only went to above the top nut so a few pints more needed to get to total boiler volume.
lynnr

Number of posts : 2823
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  ejparrott on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 11:18 pm

JayBee wrote:
ejparrott wrote:Under the club scheme we can test boilers up to 500bar/litres.  We can go to 1100 Bar/Litres if we inform our respective federation that our inspector is doing it.  That's a big boiler.  If you took 180psi as an operating pressure, the boiler would have to be 40 litres capacity to tip over that mark, then to go to the 1100 absolute limit it would have to be 90 litres.  Raising the pressure reduces the volume allowable, lowering the pressure increases the volume allowable.  To date we at Rugby haven't bothered registering ourselves as over the 500bar/litre limit.

Thanks for the detail and sorry for the delay. Is the boiler volume based on total volume i.e. with or without the deduction for the fire tubes and stays. By my quick calculation my boiler is 507Bar Lt based on the total volume but only 430Bar Lt if I deduct the stays and fire tubes. This will be the total water volume.
This is not far from Lynn's video giving I think 10 gal to fill the boiler from scratch.

Completely full of water, no air, as if presenting for hydraulic test
ejparrott

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JayBee on Sun 11 Jun 2017, 8:22 pm

The build is getting to the limit of my hydraulic table now, so time to put her on the wheels.

Because the table won't go low enough I am going to have take the weight of the engine to get the trolley out. Front perch bracket is on an axle stand with the strop acting as extra security.

I doubled up at the back end as well. timber across the tow strap, jack in the middle and axle stands to make sure that it doesn't slip or tilt sideways.

A little bit at a time and she is down. Phew!

JayBee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JayBee on Sun 11 Jun 2017, 8:40 pm

More Nikel plating for the steering rod. I wasn't sure how to get the whole shaft into the plating solution until someone suggested a plastic gutter.

JayBee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top