cylinder kit

View previous topic View next topic Go down

cylinder kit

Post  its-me on Sat 23 Jan 2016, 2:42 am

hi all,
I got my cylinder block a few days ago and reading the instructions it mentions the 2 m8 grub screws that I have fitted , but then goes on to say to fit a m3 grub screw. it dose not say where to fit it tho , can anyone help please .
thank you

its-me

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2015-06-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: cylinder kit

Post  Steve H on Sat 23 Jan 2016, 2:47 am

Look at Drawing ISO 11D it shows where it goes

Steve H Very Happy

Steve H

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2014-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  its-me on Sat 23 Jan 2016, 11:57 am

ahh okay , thank you Smile

its-me

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2015-06-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pitpup on Sat 23 Jan 2016, 12:00 pm

I'm on s kit also. I'm having problems with the fixings for the crosdhead slide bars. The instructions are not very clear...anyone got any pictures ?. Also the instructions talk about the slide valve spring only needing a small amount of compression.....to be honest you need the muscles of garth to push mine home...do you cut the spring length down ?.
Thanks.

Pitpup

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2015-02-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IanR on Sun 24 Jan 2016, 2:32 am

Hi Pitpup. Hope this photo helps. I had to put a washer between one of the slide bars and its fixing on the cylinder cover to stop the cross head jamming on it. Let me know if you want any more detail.
u

I too had problems with the valve Spring being too strong. I've decided to leave it out for the moment. After managing to compress it enough to get the valve chest cover on the valve just wouldn't move at all. If it does prove to be a problem running it without the spring I'll shorten it a lot before refitting it.

Ian

IanR

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2012-10-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy_jim on Sun 07 Feb 2016, 7:26 am

I didn't have any issue with my slide valve Spring but it was very fiddly for it to sit in position as I placed the cover on and bolted it down. Have you made sure it is seated correctly? Is the slide valve face nice and smooth allowing the slide valve to move back and forth without too much resistance. I wouldn't recommend cutting down the spring otherwise a weaker Spring might have a tendency to be overcome by the steam pressure.
The slide valve cover will be coming on and off a fair few times during the build for timing etc so I wouldn't get too caught up on it.

Crazy_jim

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2012-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Sun 07 Feb 2016, 10:54 am

Easy method of getting the cover on with the slide valve spring is by using a metal spatula like the below

Place it flat against the block and hold the spring down, place the cover plate on and then slide the spatula out, job done in 5secs Cool

Hope that helps with that fiddly job.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2013-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwiconnection on Sun 07 Feb 2016, 1:16 pm

A 12" or 6" metal rule is just as useful for retaining the spring when fitting the cover. Very Happy

Kiwiconnection

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2011-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Mon 08 Feb 2016, 2:39 am

I use a flat 6" needle file

lynnr

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King on Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:27 am

I'm just wondering how important this spring is, as it states in the instructions that it may be removed at a later date, after steaming a few times. Anyone know the reason?
Mike

Mike King

Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2014-09-04

View user profile http://www.mikekingphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:49 am

The spring helps to hold the slide on the face until the steam pressure behind the valve slide builds up. Once the mating surfaces have "run in" the spring does not need to be there but is useful still. When going down hill notched back with drains open. The valve will lift of the face of the steam port and let past. The spring just helps to get the slide valve back on the face quicker and not relying on the steam, which will be bypassing as the valve has tilted away from the face, to slap the valve back on.

N.B. Make sure the valve as a little play on the spindle to allow the required movement. Otherwise you might bend the spindles.

lynnr

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King on Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:56 am

Thanks Lynn thats much appreciated.
Mike

Mike King

Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2014-09-04

View user profile http://www.mikekingphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  ejparrott on Mon 08 Feb 2016, 10:56 am

I don't suppose anyone's got photo's of this spring and it's assembly have they? Both my 3.5" and 7.25" gauge engines have vertical slide valves, and the 3.5" has got to a point now where it's taking a lot of steam to get the valves to come up. I need to turn her upside down and have a look, but I suspect it's wear on the valves that's the biggest problem. I'm thinking she'll need new valves and I'd like to get a spring behind them. I'm still building the 7.25", and she'll have a spring from new, if I can work out how!

Cheers

ejparrott

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2012-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:18 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top