Wheel Oil/Grease

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wheel Oil/Grease

Post  T140 on Mon 18 May 2015, 12:02 pm

Evening,

Just a quick question, the wheel hubs have Oil Tubes fitted, but what oil should be in them, or are they actually grease tubes and you fill the cap and screw down to feed the grease?

Oil or grease and what type, please?

Cheers.

Richard.

T140

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2014-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wheel Oil/Grease

Post  LiveSteam on Mon 18 May 2015, 12:44 pm

I tend to grease mine, dunno if thats right or wrong, but had the wheels off at winter and regreased everything and all seemed fine. I've seen some folks change the tubes for nipples but its not really in keeping but does make it quicker to grease up.

Edit: better add that I wasnt the builder of mine so dont know for sure if grease is the best but they only go round slowly so I dont see why not.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2013-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Definitely grease

Post  Steve Traill on Thu 04 Jun 2015, 11:09 am

I ran my 4" Burrell on oil for a couple of years & the oil just ran straight out all over the spokes. Also surprising amount of wear occurred. I then cut the tubes in half, rethreaded the ends & fitted grease nipples. Bought a grease gun nozzle that slides on sideways from ebay as getting a straight push was tricky. Now I just pump them full of grease at the beginning of the rally season & no mess & no further wear. Wink

Steve Traill

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Thu 04 Jun 2015, 3:13 pm

I concur with Steve re: grease.  It is possible to modify the supplied oil tubes and caps with a hidden nipple:

Tim

Tim Watson

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

PTFE Grease

Post  Alex-Jan on Fri 05 Jun 2015, 3:06 pm

I also ran my 4" Burrell on oil for a couple of years, the oil making a mess on the engine. I made some “Stauffer grease pots” for the wheels, the original on the left is 55 mm in diameter. Will make some pictures of the fitted ones in the wheel tomorrow. I use PTFE grease, also in the other oilers.

Alex-Jan

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-10-25

View user profile http://www.miniatuurstoom.nl

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex-Jan on Sat 06 Jun 2015, 4:26 pm

As promised yesterday

Alex-Jan

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-10-25

View user profile http://www.miniatuurstoom.nl

Back to top Go down

Greased Nipples

Post  T140 on Sun 07 Jun 2015, 11:26 am

Evening,

Thank you for the replies, I do like the look of the Stauffer Grease Pot, but I wished I had asked this question before I assembled the tubes into the hubs and painted them. I reckon I can still retro fit grease nipples though, or I might adapt a cap with a nipple fitted and just swap them over.

Anyway I now know that I should grease those nipples.

I will get around to posting some photos but so far I have completed the front end and all I have to do is varnish the front wheels. The back wheels arrived during the last couple of weeks and I also have assembled part one of the tender.

Good tip though, don't paint parts on the third floor or come to think of it expect to paint anything like the back wheels on the third floor. Thank goodness I don't have a cellar. Plus side is I am end of terrace and have a side entrance and car port so that is where the engine will go once the boiler arrives. I did build a dinghy in the Dinning Room so anything is possible.

Cheers.

Richard.

T140

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2014-05-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:49 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top