What is your Likamobile progress?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What is your Likamobile progress?

Post  WWayman on Tue 12 May 2009, 9:01 am

Please reply to this post and let us know your progress.
Like, "still fiddling with boiler plumbing" or it's finished and have about 50 miles on it.
My status is finished with about 400 miles on it. Reliability continues to improve with minor modifications.

Please let us know.
Thanks
Bill Wayman

WWayman

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-06-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Likamobile Progress

Post  TB on Tue 12 May 2009, 9:43 am

Hi Bill,
Glad to hear you're enjoying running your Lika. I completed mine early last year and have driven around 90-100 miles in it with only a few minor problems. Over the winter, I took the engine out as I was having a problem with the reverser mechanism. The reverser lever became more and more stiff to operate until eventually I couldn't move it without bending something. It turned out that the reversing shaft (LK0921) had siezed in one of it's bearings and had apparently welded itself to the malleable cast bearing bracket, despite being flooded with oil from the cylinders. I drilled it out and fitted a new one supplied by STW and drilled oil holes. While the engine is out I am doing some modifications to strengthen the valve gear to give it more durability and reliability. I fitted a Riello D10 burner and run it on 28 second central heating oil which is cleaner burning than diesel and doesn't soot up the boiler tubes so much. I have also fitted drain valves to the top and bottom of the cylinders and an air bottle to cushion the water pump output. I changed to supplied 300W inverter for a 500W one and I have heard from the steamboat fraternity that a 240volt AC burner should ideally be supplied from a true sinewave inverter (a lot more expensive) but I have had no problems on that score.
Good luck with your Lika,
Regards, Tony.

TB

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-06-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

my lika from skippy

Post  Skippy on Sat 16 May 2009, 8:21 am

I have just finished the protype valve arms and we ran them at stw on Tuesday the 12 may.
After 4 months of work I was disappointed with the result .the conclusion was their is not much more power hidden in the engine.
Mods I have done
Fitted a new burner a very big improvement
Fitted a new control PCB to replace the modelworks PCB. Fixed all the light problems now and pressures switch bounce
Fitted new check valve to the water pump so far with the steaming I have had great
Two new in line check valve two stop the boiler check valve leaking back to the hand pump and water pumps they work fine.

Inline solenoids to auto fill boiler works great

Old 1903 30 mile a hour Speedo and all the drive for it

Over hauled the rear axel with self aligner bearings and shim it right this time
New water gauge on the boiler that does not leak used a reflex glass one.
Now on the engine with a new set of arms that dean and I have come up with plus Iím modifying the crank at the same time look at increasing the bob weights to balance engine a bit and torque

New valve boxes have been made
All finished I hope fore august run from top to bottom of England 950 mile I hope
Regards Skippy

Skippy

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-07-01

View user profile http://www.veterantriumph.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: What is your Likamobile progress?

Post  BUNGLE on Sun 17 May 2009, 12:43 pm

BLOODY HELL SKIPPY, SOUNDS LIKE YOU'VE HAD TO COMPLETELY REBUILD IT FROM THE ORIGINAL SPEC !!

BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2008-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Likamobile (Lykamobile ?) Progress

Post  steamer76 on Mon 18 May 2009, 9:10 am

Having run with fingers crossed last year I did some rebuilding over the winter on the valve gear, i.e. fitted 22mm crankpins with 17mm square drives for the reverse cranks which are redesigned and now clamp on to the squares, the rest of the valve linkage was assembled with sintered bronze bushes in place of the needle rollers so that all the slop has been eliminated, a superheater was also added. The body panels are now fixed with concealed fasteners so that they can be removed without dismantling any other components.
So far this year it has attended two rallies and done considerable general running amounting to around 80 miles without problems. It still uses the original burner running from the 300 watt inverter which is now mounted adjacent to the batteries allowing for very short high current connections which has reduced the volt drop considerably to the extent that there is no longer any inverter squeal due to low voltage, it has so far proved 100% reliable. I have also fitted drain cocks to the steam chests which allows any condensate to be drained off before it enters the cylinders and also it allows the cylinder blocks to be preheated before moving off. In use if the drain cocks are opened when the vehicle is stationery any leakage past the regulator keeps the cylinders preheated and prevents any build up of condensate. It is now fitted with period ex-Rolls Royce brass carriage lamps which are not too overpowering. I find that running 20 -25 mph is most comfortable providing one keeps a firm grip on the tiller however I have on order an ex-Vauxhall steering damper which will hopefully take out a lot of the kick-back from the steering.
I would be interested to hear of other experiences. I do know of an ex-Bristol area Lika which has been bought in an almost completed condition by someone only a few miles from my location in Dorset, I'm looking forward to seeing that one on the rally circuit.
I've waffled enough for nowand hope it is of some interest to Lika Lyka followers,
Cheers for now,
Ron.

steamer76

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-06-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What is your Likamobile progress?

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:02 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top