MOT or no MOT????

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MOT or no MOT????

Post  highpressure on Tue 10 Mar 2015, 3:32 am

So here's an interesting conundrum. Those of us who have road registered are all aware that the tax is free for steamers. However this year the tax disc is no longer issued so I thought I would renew on line, should be just a formality. Got to the MOT question which I duly clicked past to find I'm thrown out, no valid MOT at renew date!!!?? So I find the helpline to be informed that as HM is now three years old it requires an MOT!!! Now I may have been under the misguided impression that steam engines dont need an MOT but it looks like I may be faced with some red tape which will stop me having a valid disc this year. To be fair it won't be a problem to declare a SORN. Any thoughts would be good???

highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Re: MOT or no MOT????

Post  mikero on Tue 10 Mar 2015, 9:20 am

Its possible that the web option has not been programmed to deal with steamers, try posting it all off in an envelope and see what happens.

Mike

mikero

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2011-07-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  atomenter on Tue 10 Mar 2015, 12:22 pm

Hi all
I have just registered the Foden on line  -no problems  - no questions about MOT.  It was first registered on 12/4/12 so it may be because it doesn't "legally" need an MOT until 12/4/15 but it went through very easily.  May be different next year - who knows!!
Regards
Tom

atomenter

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-06-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Tue 10 Mar 2015, 1:58 pm

You'll need to fill in the one of these

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/333128/V112_150514.pdf

Its no hardship, once its got its exemption then you'll be good to go year on year.

Just its not registering as MOT exempt currently and thus the online system will kick you out.

Do it by hand at the PO using the above form this one time and then you'll be good for ever more Cool

Oh and remember your engine is a "tractor" for the category Smile

Last edited by LiveSteam on Tue 10 Mar 2015, 2:11 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : adding the catergory)

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2013-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster on Tue 10 Mar 2015, 3:27 pm

I recieved that form this week along with my vin number.
So does indeed look the way to go
Kev

Kevster

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2011-01-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Tue 10 Mar 2015, 3:46 pm

Defo, I've used the form several times for other such exempt vehicles, mainly electrically propelled goods vehicles as I have owned a few of these in the past http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_Berlingo_%C3%A9lectrique all of which are MOT exempt Cool

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Wed 11 Mar 2015, 9:42 am

Well I have printed that out and will try at a PO tomorrow and let you know of the outcome. Thanks Kev.

highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Wed 11 Mar 2015, 11:49 am

highpressure wrote:Well I have printed that out and will try at a PO tomorrow and let you know of the outcome. Thanks Kev.

Shouldnt have a problem, well apart from the normal look of "wheres the MOT.........oh you have this form" that I have always had on the first one, after that the on-line system works fine Smile

Will I be seeing you and Andy at Finchdean and Bassingstoke in April ?

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  the coleman on Thu 12 Mar 2015, 1:23 pm

Hi Livesteam
You will indeed see myself and kevyn at both..

the coleman

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2011-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Thu 12 Mar 2015, 1:32 pm

the coleman wrote:Hi Livesteam
You will indeed see myself and kevyn at both..

Excellent, lets hope the weathers kinder this year, last year was a bit of a wash out Sad

I cant decide on Bassingstoke

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Thu 12 Mar 2015, 2:46 pm

Well I thought that was a little optimistic yo be that easy!!! The PO couldn't deal with it as the new system doesn't hive them the option to add exemption now. Instead I needed to phone first VOSA who were actually able to confirm it was exempt and then DVLA who said it had been incorrectly registered at first go. I need to send back the V5 with a covering letter and the V112 to have it reclassified as a steam tractor!! I still dont hold out much hope so we shall see. For future reference for those coming to the end of the build and are considering registering their engines put tractor in the model box on the form!!

highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Fri 13 Mar 2015, 10:05 am

highpressure wrote:Well I thought that was a little optimistic yo be that easy!!! The PO couldn't deal with it as the new system doesn't hive them the option to add exemption now. Instead I needed to phone first VOSA who were actually able to confirm it was exempt and then DVLA who said it had been incorrectly registered at first go. I need to send back the V5 with a covering letter and the V112 to have it reclassified as a steam tractor!! I still dont hold out much hope so we shall see. For future reference for those coming to the end of the build and are considering registering their engines put tractor in the model box on the form!!

Oh that IS a pain, that must be fairly new system then as I did mine that way just last year  Question

So it looks like the exemptions have to be on the system from start because I dont remember the PO doing anything with the Declaration, in fact I still have it here, all they did was look at it and gave it back to me, not sure if they did anything else on the system Question

Looking at the V5C there is no mention of Tractor on it, only under the Body Type it says "Special Purpose" now wether that then puts it in Special Types General Order I'm not sure, however there is nothing in that order that mentions Model Traction engines or any steam vehicles. I am suspecting the systems been revamped and no one has thought of all the odd stuff thats out there that just couldnt be MOT'd because of x,y or z

Well mine is due the end of May so it will be interesting to see what happens then, best I start looking at it as soon I can apply for a new one in case mine is rejected then. Must admit I've never had any trouble with any of the electric stuff, once I'd done it then it worked on line as well.

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Sat 14 Mar 2015, 4:37 pm

mmmmmm looking like there could be a bigger problem as TT folks are having problems as well

http://www.tractiontalkforum.com/showthread.php?t=34329

Although it appears Post 7 the chap got his with the form I linked too after chatting to the DVLA, I'm suspecting your PO dont know what they are doing, might be worth trying another, As I said I've not had any problems using that form.

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:47 am

LiveSteam wrote:

Well mine is due the end of May
so it will be interesting to see what happens then, best I start looking at it as soon I can apply for a new one in case mine is rejected then. Must admit I've never had any trouble with any of the electric stuff, once I'd done it then it worked on line as well.

Scrap that, mines due the end of April so in theory I should be able to renew now, but......guess what .....yep BORKED on the MOT part  Rolling Eyes

Right next stop will be the local post office and see what happens there  Neutral looks to me like part of the database never went over correctly, the bit that exempts the vehicles, whats the betting they just took any vehicles that werent showing as having an MOT as needing one and lumped them together Rolling Eyes

How are you getting on with yours Kev

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Sat 18 Apr 2015, 11:02 am

Well couldnt get mine on line but went into the local PO and handed over the bits and the chap just "did it" Surprised

Sadly I was in a real rush and there was quite a queue so didnt get a chance to ask any questions as to why it wouldnt work on line Rolling Eyes

Ah well all done for another year Cool

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hartshaulage on Sat 18 Apr 2015, 11:24 am

I own classic bikes and they are MOT exempt, i cannot do them online either, the Post Office has a way of telling the Computer that the vehicle dosnt need a MOT thus bypassing the problem

Russ

hartshaulage

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2014-01-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Sat 18 Apr 2015, 12:04 pm

Well its odd, as my electric commercial vehicle was taxable on line (doesnt need a MOT) and my mate has huge 6x6 yank WW2 military truck and thats exempt to, again he has no probs on line either.
It must be a data base problem, it will be interesting to see if next year all comes good because it should be possible.

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Mon 11 Apr 2016, 10:42 am

Here we go again Rolling Eyes

Got the tax reminder through and ONCE AGAIN the system doesnt understand a 4" Agri cannot and does not need an MOT Rolling Eyes

For heavens sake how hard is it for them to sort this out Evil or Very Mad So trip to the post office again will be needed.

LiveSteam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:03 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum