Trailer purchase

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Trailer purchase

Post  MrStationHouse on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 6:12 am

Time has come to buy a trailer, I am favouring a box trailer. What size have others bought? I have ordered an STW trailer for the engine and may build a bowserr.

I am 5'11.

With best wishes
Simon

MrStationHouse

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2011-04-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trailer purchase

Post  Tim Watson on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 10:29 am

You can't go wrong with an Ifor Williams trailer.  I have a BV85  twin axle which has 6' headroom and takes my showman's and MW waggon OK. Might be a squeeze with a bowser, but you'd probably be OK with a RL.  I did not want a larger trailer as we are a bit tight for space at home.

Keep a look out secondhand. I got mine at a good price but had to spend quite a bit on it.  Mine has a roller shutter door, whereas my previous trailer had a combined  ramp/door. I thought individual ramps would be tedious, but I actually find them easier to use because you can stand next to the engine to work on it when it sits on them.  They are also lighter than the ramp door - I was a bit worried about gross towing weight. Being made of aluminium they are easy to shift (http://www.sararamps.co.uk/loading.html).  

Hope this helps.
Tim

Tim Watson

Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 11:34 am

I'd agree that Iffor Williams box trailer is the way to go, they ain't cheap, but they're the best from my experience. Mine has ramp doors at the back & I would have said that's best, but having read Tim's post, I'd say he has made very good case for roller shutter door!!

Resale of Iffor Williams is good, so when You need to get rid, it'll go quick!!

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse on Tue 24 Feb 2015, 1:10 am

Thanks to you both. I think I might go for the BV106 as that way I can get both the engine and Wagon in side by side and leave about 3'6" spare for camping gear/coal etc. I haven't any room at home so will have to store it somewhere else hence I can go for the larger one.

Tim is it a full 6 foot high as I am about 5'11 and with a hat and boots on I would need it to be no less than 6ft.

With best wishes
Simon

MrStationHouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 on Tue 24 Feb 2015, 2:32 am

Another option is go for a twin axle flat bed. you can go for a wider/longer bed than one with a box and then use a heavy weight tarp to cover it. You can secure the tarp with locks should it need to be left overnight.

sonick45

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2009-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL on Tue 24 Feb 2015, 2:42 am

I have recently bought a 10x5 Ifor Williams box with ramp barn door combi rear. I did manage to get my RL into my Ifor WIlliams GD 84 single axle. but was right on the weight limit of the trailer hence going for the BV105, which I got from ebay. not used it yet still need to mount the winch in the trailer.

You may need to watch the max all up weight on the BV106 as it is much more than the BV105 which is 2700kgs it would also be much wider than the tow vehicle, you would need to check the maximum weight your tow vehicle can pull. Also what your driving licence allows you to drive, as there have been changes in 1997 and again recently, which limits you to 3500kg max.

Ian

IanL

Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2011-07-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse on Tue 24 Feb 2015, 4:38 am

Fortunately I have a pre 1997 driving licence and my daily drive is a Land Rover Defender so I can tow upto 3500kg on the landie and on my licence.

With best wishes
Simon

MrStationHouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Tue 24 Feb 2015, 11:45 am

MrStationHouse wrote:
Tim is it a full 6 foot high as I am about 5'11 and with a hat and boots on I would need it to be no less than 6ft.

Yes probably.  I'm 6' 1" (or at least I was!).  I don't have a problem with the height, but wear a hat to give early warning of any low bits (especially the roller shutter door bit).  The 7' headroom trailer would probably up the wind resistance somewhat.

Tim

Tim Watson

Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse on Wed 25 Feb 2015, 2:45 am

Thanks Tim that is useful to know. I am hoping to pick up a second hand trailer and there are more 6ft ones than 7ft. So to know I am ok with the 6ft one is good

I am sure though they are thin on the ground

Happy steaming
Simon

MrStationHouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Mon 02 Mar 2015, 5:04 am

Simon

Just to add to all the other comments, I too ended up buying a BV106 but a 7ft tall version and therefore it has a longer and less steep ramp for loading and unloading. I was able to drive Blackbeard in under steam quite easily and also was able to wind him up in the flywheel when cold. He rolled down ever so slowly in 1st gear too, very easy to control. Blackbeard and both traction wagons went in without the need to stack the wagons. Just the water bowser was put onto a wagon.

bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2010-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse on Mon 02 Mar 2015, 5:38 am

Thankyou Brian,

that really is very helpful as they say a picture tells a thousand words. Looking at the tie down of Blackbeard did you just have the straps over each wheel?

With best wishes
Simon

MrStationHouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Mon 02 Mar 2015, 6:26 am

Simon

I had thr front tied down too, diagonal straps that went round the pivot bracet above the axle and back to the start point which was a tie down loop around a foot ahead fo the front wheel, this kept the front secure too pulling forward and sideways. Never did use the front towing bracket, just in case.

I chocked the back wheel so that the front edge of the chock was aganst the edge of the tie down loop base plate which prevented any forward movement, second chock was behind same rear wheel and then it was held in place with a bungee around both chocks (front one could not move due to tie down plate). Engine in gear, flywheel turned forwards to take up play in geartrain then flywheel brake applied as well as engine brake. It never moved.

Sorry I cant photograph it now, wish I had done as a picture is so much easier to explain all this.

Regrds

Brian

bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2010-09-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:41 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top