Line painting

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Line painting

Post  RMc on Tue 09 Dec 2014, 9:31 am

I read on other sections of the blog lots about painting coach lines but at the 2" scale these get harder to do. Is there some technical reason we do not use coach lining tapes ? - cheap and easy to apply or is that just cheating !

RMc

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2014-11-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Line painting

Post  lynnr on Tue 09 Dec 2014, 10:15 am

No reason. It's up to you.

lynnr

Number of posts : 2716
Registration date : 2010-08-06

View user profile http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Tue 09 Dec 2014, 10:30 am

At 2" scale, if you're going to be "traditional" about thickness of lines, then they are going to be very thin indeed!

I would say you get them on anyhow you feel comfortable doing them! If you use lining tapes, that's fine, but make sure you remove tapes as soon as possible after applying paint!! Two reasons for this:- 1) the paint edge has a chance to "settle" so you don't have a hard step to the thickness of the tape & 2) you have a better chance of leaving the paint on the surface, rather than it coming away with the tape!! Sad Mad

A Bueglar lining tool is excellent & very quick, but could be a bit fiddly at 2" size & you need to practice to get "perfection"!! Have to say I used both methods on my engines, but lining tool gave better results on balance, once I got used to using it!!

Hope this helps.

Regards,
tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

lining out

Post  Steve Traill on Tue 09 Dec 2014, 3:23 pm

Did you mean the "go faster stripes" lining tape that just sticks on? if so the vinyl will just shrivel up with the heat. The lining tape where you paint between two pieces of tape & then peel it away is fine, I find it always takes two coats so I apply one coat & then 30 mins later the second coat & peel the tape off immediately. Pull the tape with it leaning in to the line, the wet edge then drops so you don't get a sharp edge left. A rub stick is also handy for some last minute adjustments. It's basically a pencil with a rubber end, one shaped like a pencil and the other like a knife. when using this I keep it damp with white spirit. Dip it in clean white spirit then rub it off with your finger so it's damp. if it's wet wet then it dilutes the paint & gets it everywhere. With it damp you can push a line back straight & not leave a mark. Finally when it's dry with a very very very small brush you can fill in around rivets which always cause problems so I paint those bits afterwards.

The Beuglar pen is brilliant where you have a straight edge to follow like on wheels, you will probably find that their thinest wheels are what you want. When using the Beuglar the lines are always thicker than the wheel however if you want a really thin line then you need to thin the paint down & keep it warm. If the paint is thick & cold it can double the size of the thin wheels. I found it very difficult on the tender with all the rivets & the curved edge (on 4"), also on the cleading as the lines were not the same distance from the edges on each sheet.

There is a tool for painting lines that the Model rail guys use, it does incredibly thin lines. It is like a pen with a little pot at the end for a drop of paint which is thinned with lighter fuel!. This is used as it thins the paint long enough to get it out of the tip (which is like a hyper dermic needle) & then evaporates almost instantly. I saw it being demonstrated at a show, was so impressed I bought it but not had the opportunity to use it yet. Hope this helps & good luck with the build.

Steve Traill

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Line painting

Post  RMc on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 4:01 am

Hi
Thanks for replies - I was thinking abiout stick on tape but I did not realise wheels would get so hot ! - its a steep learning curve for fist timers.
Robert

RMc

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2014-11-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

lining

Post  Mike King on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 4:54 am

I will be using the Finesse lining masking tape that Craftmaster stock. If you take a look on their website, they supply in various line widths and combinations. You can get onto the Finnesse website in usa, and print the various stripe widths to give a accurate guide to line widths.
                 Mike

Last edited by Mike King on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed something out)

Mike King

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2014-09-04

View user profile http://www.mikekingphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:25 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top