Foden Product Recall 17/04/2009

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Foden Product Recall 17/04/2009

Post  Steam Traction World on Fri 17 Apr 2009, 10:40 am

Hi All,

It has been brought our attention that there are the following issues where a recall is the best solution:

Issue number 1: The pressure gauge back plate has not been drilled to enable it to fit on to the plinth. Please remove the back plate and return it to us for drilling, alternatively if you have the capabilities you may wish to do this yourself.

Issue number 2: On the flywheel (originally supplied by MW's) no allowance was made for the water pump chain to clear the rear boss of the fly wheel. This means the flywheel protrudes too far leaving insufficient crankshaft for the securing collar to be fitted. Please return to us to enable us to turn the boss down providing clearance for the chain.

Issue number 3: One of the crank shaft gears (F42005, Pinion Gear 1 & 2), the 18 tooth gear appears to have been cut using a hobbing machine rather than a gear shaper. This consiquently means that the tooth form is not quite the correct tooth profile and does not run parrallel through the gear. This causes interference with the mating part. Please also return this part with the items above and we will reshape it on our gear shaper and return everything as a matter of urgency.

Please remember to enclose your name and address details.

Sorry for any inconvience caused.

Regards

Dean & Steve.

Steam Traction World

Number of posts : 886
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

PRODUCT RECALL

Post  gulfstream on Mon 20 Apr 2009, 1:06 pm

I did notice the problem with the flywheel and the water pump chain but I believe that there is just enough clearance on mine but I will check.

There is however a problem with the pump drive chain in that there is excessive movement in that the chain needs some sort of tension to take up the slack otherwise it tends to whip about a lot.

How long will it take STW machine the flywheel and the 1/2 gear?

gulfstream

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Foden Product Recall 17/04/2009

Post  Steam Traction World on Wed 22 Apr 2009, 11:39 am

Hi,

We'll give it a couple of weeks first so we can start on a decent size batch and then we are planning to machine them as we receive them. We intend to set Steve's CNC milling machine up so as the parts are returned to us they can be processed immediately. We are also sending letters out this week to inform customers without internet access.

All the best

Dean

Steam Traction World

Back to top Go down

FODEN RECALL

Post  gulfstream on Mon 27 Apr 2009, 11:36 pm

A a promise was made last year that the Foden kit would completed as a priority but now it seems that the Burrell kits are the priority and the remaining parts for the Foden are constantly being held back so that parts for the Burrells can be completed. Having to wait 2-3 weeks for mods to the flywheel to be made due to a design problem means that the Foden will not now be completed to well into the summer.

Without a boiler certificate it is many cases difficult to book for rallies, even as a static exhibit, who wants to have static exhibit when others are in steam. I did visit a few rallies in 2008 as a static exhibit and this proved beneficial to aid the completion of my Foden.

I have done the mods to my flywheel myself and it didn't require many changes, or time, to make everything fit. I now have to take care of a very loose water pump chain but I now have the info on how to do this with an adjustable idler on the rear part of the chain, the loose side when the Foden is in forward gear.

gulfstream

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World on Wed 29 Apr 2009, 12:18 am

Hi,

Steve didn't feel the above response warranted a reply BUT as the outspoken (some would say gobby!) one of the two i'm not going to just sit back and stew over a comment i believe to be well out of order!

Lets start by getting a few facts in to the equation:

'A promise was made last year that the Foden kit would completed as a priority':
This is still the case, we spend on average two weeks of every month on Foden parts and around one week on each of the other models. The Foden is not our only model in production and we have 140 other customers to consider.

'Now it seems that the Burrell kits are the priority and the remaining parts for the Foden are constantly being held back so that parts for the Burrells can be completed'.
What parts of the Foden are being held back? Since starting around 8 months ago, we have completed and despatched kits 18, 19, 20, 21A & 21B plus the roof, we spent a month or longer manufacturing nothing but Foden cylinder blocks, spent the last month preparing Foden boilers for manufacture next month. On every machine currently there are water gauges, water fittings, whistles, globe valves and safeties for the Foden. So far we have delivered pretty consistantly a kit a month for all our models, just because we prioritised completing one engine as a priority doesn't mean we just ignore our other customers. They want to complete their engines as much as you do. At every stage we are also keeping everyone informed of progress.

In summary, as i explained above, we are working extremely hard off to finish the Foden's in time for everyone to have some enjoyment during the summer but spending half an hour writing a response to something so negative won't speed the process up. Some people may see my response as out of order and if they take offence then i apologise, i could have just deleted the post but feel that both Steve and I are above board and if we have an issue then i'm not going to sweep it under the carpet and sit stewing. I'm all for freedom of speech. Potential customers read these posts and i don't want them to feel a comment can't be made without me diving in all defensive, that isn't true, but i won't sit back and see the truth distorted when the true facts are not clear.

Regards

Dean

Steam Traction World

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:49 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top