cleaning paint brushes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

cleaning paint brushes

Post  Watts&Son on Tue 26 Aug 2014, 3:26 pm

When painting our road loco, The amount of paint brushes I was using was expensive. I thought I washed out the brushes but when I used them again some were hard and unusable. I must admit it was a quick soak in white spirit and a wipe off. With the average brush costing around 5.00 or more, it was surprising the amount was using. A friend suggested a 'Brush Mate'. The brushes are suspended in a sealed container, which has a wick which stops the paint hardening. I bought one for 15.00 from Brewers paint supplies. Brilliant, the brushes don't have to be cleaned but popped it to the container. It keeps brushes for up to 6 months without washing them. I hope you find this as useful as I did. The road loco is now finished and steaming well.

Watts&Son

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2009-09-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: cleaning paint brushes

Post  LiveSteam on Tue 26 Aug 2014, 3:49 pm

Interesting, I've found just wrapping them in Cling Film keeps them good for 24-36hrs quite easily.

Another option I found was a final rinse in clean 2 stroke petrol oil mix works quite well for oil based paint, then a final clean before reuse.

Some of my brushes are +5yrs now and still going strong, a good brush is like a nice pair of comfy shoes in my book.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2013-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ejparrott on Thu 20 Nov 2014, 11:41 am

I narrowboater painter I met last year keeps his brushes in a box, and he washes them out, then dips them in clean oil, just wiping off the excess before storing, then rubbing out before using.

Keep meaning to try it myself but I avoid brush painting if I can

ejparrott

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2012-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Tue 16 Dec 2014, 11:50 am

According to the chap I did my paining course with if brushes are natural hair they should be oiled to preserve them as the spirit also takes out the natural oils in the hair. Also if you haven't cleaned them properly it helps to stop them drying out, especially near the handle. All my lining brushes are wiped over with grease and the hairs are still like new.

Robfishman

Number of posts : 947
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:07 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top